Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 10:23   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,432
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
True. I think most CF'ers know this, but just to be complete, understand that the apps that put a virtual AIS postion on the web site ONLY work for others using that web site. Ships and boats will NOT see you.
Which is yet another reason such websites are absolutely useless! These websites should go away!
__________________

__________________
DotDun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:34   #17
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Elsewhere on the Water
Posts: 571
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Which is yet another reason such websites are absolutely useless! These websites should go away!
I agree that they should never be used for navigation. That does not mean that they are useless. Our family members can see where we are, and we can see where our friends boats are to arrange a meeting. If a boat is stolen, it may even be the means of recovering it.
__________________

__________________
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:40   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,432
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
I agree that they should never be used for navigation. That does not mean that they are useless. Our family members can see where we are, and we can see where our friends boats are to arrange a meeting. If a boat is stolen, it may even be the means of recovering it.
All the positives you list are outweighed by the breach of privacy enabling the armchair stalkers.

BTW, if you friends are within VHF range, look on your AIS receiver, it's far more reliable than any website.
__________________
DotDun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:58   #19
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Gee DD, you really hate those sites egh. I find them handy to see who's coming and going and also check conditions. This morning I was checking. Conditions between islands and noticed yachts being knocked well below course so decided to wait for the wind to back to the east a bit more. It's handy to keep track of friends that are out if VHF range as well. Also a good heads up where or where not to anchor. Here's some goose in st martin you might or might not want to anchor next to..
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1421690293.282203.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	95721
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 11:09   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,432
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Gee DD, you really hate those sites egh. I find them handy to see who's coming and going and also check conditions. This morning I was checking. Conditions between islands and noticed yachts being knocked well below course so decided to wait for the wind to back to the east a bit more. It's handy to keep track of friends that are out if VHF range as well. Also a good heads up where or where not to anchor. Here's some goose in st martin you might or might not want to anchor next to..
Attachment 95721
Yep, I view public broadcasting of my identity and current location as a privacy issue. IMO needs to fix it.

Showing icons on a map is fine, simply allow removal of the identity (boat name & MMSI).
__________________
DotDun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 11:47   #21
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Yep, I view public broadcasting of my identity and current location as a privacy issue. IMO needs to fix it.

Showing icons on a map is fine, simply allow removal of the identity (boat name & MMSI).
Turn off your transmitter.

Our (the USA) esteemed president proposed that for security reasons, all boats would be required to be fitted with working AIS transponders, presumably even uncle Bubba's camouflaged duck boat. Fortunately, more sensible heads prevailed.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 12:45   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,432
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Turn off your transmitter.
Yep! I do that.

But, it kinda of defeats the purpose......
__________________
DotDun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 13:48   #23
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Yep! I do that.

But, it kinda of defeats the purpose......
You make a choice. Do you want to be seen and known or not?
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 13:51   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,432
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You make a choice. Do you want to be seen and known or not?
Yes, within the confines of AIS and it's intended uses.
__________________
DotDun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 13:58   #25
Moderator Emeritus
 
David M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: research vessel
Posts: 10,152
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

I have a Class A AIS transceiver on the research boat. I also have internet. I have compared what the websites are saying to what my onboard AIS is saying. Sometimes the websites lag a few seconds and sometimes a few minutes.

The problem is, if you only have web access, you do not know what the lag is. Knowing if and how much lag there is is critical for your safety.

I would never put the safety of those onboard to reliance on possible sketchy AIS information. It's not worth the money saved.
__________________
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 14:07   #26
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have a Class A AIS transceiver on the research boat. I also have internet. I have compared what the websites are saying to what my onboard AIS is saying. Sometimes the websites lag a few seconds and sometimes a few minutes.

The problem is, if you only have web access, you do not know what the lag is. Knowing if and how much lag there is is critical for your safety.

I would never put the safety of those onboard to reliance on possible sketchy AIS information. It's not worth the money saved.
And if you get away from the areas where the website's receivers are, you will see no AIS targets. With the line of sight signal, there are many uncovered areas just on the southeast US coast, much less other parts of the country or world.

It's good entertainment, that's about it.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 14:42   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mediterranean
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Posts: 282
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Spend $600 and get a class B transmit/receive AIS. Marine Traffic is a fun toy but is never considered a navigation tool. Great for keeping up to date with mates and their location.
__________________
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 17:39   #28
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 979
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
The free MarineTraffic site will display the receiving stations, and their status, on the charts if you enable them.
Thanks! I hadn't played with that feature.

It confirms there are no receiving stations near my home harbor. I know our marina has one that someone set up, so I guess it's one of the other networks.

For me, AIS Class B is primarily for safety when navigating shipping lanes. I'd also like to give friends and family shoreside a chance to see where I am, but of course that's only good near a receiving station. Finally, although I can't imagine an old, slow trawler is high on the theft list, the AIS is wired to come on when either engine is powered up, so in theory it could be tracked if stolen. I do have an unmarked bypass switch so I can turn it on or off independent of the engines if I want. And of course the unit itself can be left on and receiving but not transmitting by using the Android app.

I guess I'm so used to non-existent privacy these days that I've given up fighting it. But I don't blame anyone for having that concern.
__________________
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 17:53   #29
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Our (the USA) esteemed president proposed that for security reasons, all boats would be required to be fitted with working AIS transponders, presumably even uncle Bubba's camouflaged duck boat. Fortunately, more sensible heads prevailed.
Hmmm, are you sure about that?

I realize he recently signed legislation approving the mandate of AIS for virtually all commercial vessels operating in US waters, but can you offer a cite showing he wanted "all boats" to be included in the expanded requirements?
__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 17:58   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,432
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
....
I guess I'm so used to non-existent privacy these days that I've given up fighting it. But I don't blame anyone for having that concern.
This privacy breach goes far beyond anything else.....in realtime they broadcast your location and identity in (2) forms. It takes maybe 4 mouse clicks to find out your name and home address.

Nothing else goes this far.
__________________

__________________
DotDun is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ais

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plotters, Radar and AIS Keithgdgp Marine Electronics 8 25-11-2011 12:22
GPS - The Venus Fly Trap - Chart Plotters maxingout General Sailing Forum 5 20-12-2010 13:41
Touch Screen Plotters? Greenman Marine Electronics 8 18-08-2010 12:28
Cockpit Chart Plotters drh1965 Marine Electronics 16 14-04-2008 17:30
Chart plotters?? Chrisc Navigation 7 25-09-2006 17:56



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.