Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 16:59   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Fort Myers to Fort Lauderdale via Marathon or Key West?

I'm sailing my boat from Fort Myer to Fort Lauderdale this weekend, and trying to decide between going around Key West or going through the Moser Channel. The Moser Channel route is quite a bit shorter, and with my 5'9" draft and 56" mast height, I can easily fit under the 7 Mile Bridge. From the charts, it looks ok to head for Bullard Bank, and from there through the Moser Channel, and then up the Keys. Does this sounds like a safe route? And what about crab pots that I hear can be pretty thick? Wind looks good to sail on a nice beam reach, and I do have a line cutter on the prop shaft if I need to run the motor.

Or should I just go the long way around via Key West? Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
David
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 17:10   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Fort Myers to Fort Lauderdale via Marathon or Key West?

I use Moser Channel all the time, it's fine. Channel 5 would save a few miles, either hit the Yacht Channel at Spriger Bank or round the west side of Bamboo Bank and hit the ICW to Channel 5.

Lots of options.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 17:11   #3

Oh yeah, crab pots.....probably no less than a million.
Old 24-10-2016, 17:24   #4

Fort Myers to Fort Lauderdale via Marathon or Key West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I use Moser Channel all the time, it's fine. Channel 5 would save a few miles, either hit the Yacht Channel at Spriger Bank or round the west side of Bamboo Bank and hit the ICW to Channel 5.

Lots of options.

Thanks!

Not really concerned about transiting the Moser Channel, just want to be sure that my approach from the north is safe. Though the Channel 5 route sounds promising too. How best to deal with the crab pot situation?

-David
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 24-10-2016, 19:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Thanks!

Not really concerned about transiting the Moser Channel, just want to be sure that my approach from the north is safe. Though the Channel 5 route sounds promising too. How best to deal with the crab pot situation?

-David
Bullard Bank is the target for Moser Channel.

I haven't transited Florida Bay this crab season yet. But normally it's a minefield. I don't worry about them when sailing, but motoring I try to miss them all and that will drive one crazy!
Old 24-10-2016, 19:22   #6

Thanks, DotDun, much appreciated!

Wind is forecast 20 knots from the east, nice broad reach all the way down from Fort Myers, don't plan on running the motor unless no other option. And I have a line cutter on the shaft for that eventuality.

Regards,
David
Old 25-10-2016, 08:42   #7

Boat: Island Packet 350

You should have no trouble; have done it many times. Must remain diligent to avoid crab pots but still worth taking this route.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 09:11   #8

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Check the weather forecast again. Pretty snotty right now.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:33   #9

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter

I just made this trip through Moser channel from Lauderdale to Fl west coast a few months ago and lobster pots are a definite non-issue. Did not see many and avoiding the few there is no problem. Definitely much better than the Key West. Route.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARGO View Post
I just made this trip through Moser channel from Lauderdale to Fl west coast a few months ago and lobster pots are a definite non-issue. Did not see many and avoiding the few there is no problem. Definitely much better than the Key West. Route.
Crab season starts October 15, hence I would expect very few pots a few months ago.
Old 25-10-2016, 10:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
Check the weather forecast again. Pretty snotty right now.
The forecast for Fri/Sat/Sun has the wind at around 20 knots from the ENE, right on the beam. After the turn to the north/east after the 7 Mile Bridge we may have to motor sail a bit until further up the Keys and we get a good angle on the wind again. At least we'll be inside the reef, and if it's too rough we can stop in Marathon.

-David
Old 25-10-2016, 11:48   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Both Channel Five and Moser can work well for you. No point in rounding Key West, it's well out of your way. With your draft I would advise Moser. well buoyed, zero chance of grounding. As you noted forecast not good, you may be motoring all the way to Lauderdale. If it worsens you might stay in the ICW despite all the draw bridges in Miami. Marathon is quiet but not bad for a weekend stop over.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 13:35   #13

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

I've done this via Channel 5 a half-dozen times with a 6'4" draft and never had a problem except for dense grass in a few areas. In general, the lobster pots are set outside of the channel. But you will encounter a few. Good luck.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 14:54   #14

We have had so-so luck with line cutters so you should not rely on them. Good eyes and strategies are needed. Also a sturdy and heavy boat hook that can be extended underwater and a really sharp knife are handy to have. Don't let the crabbers see you cutting their lines.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 15:00   #15

Thanks, everyone, some really good feedback!

Tags
fort lauderdale, fort myers, key west