Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 16:17   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Feedback from someone who has done NYC to Detroit

Just curious. Perhaps you had a particular boat in mind, otherwise, did you look around the Great Lakes? Torresens in Muskegon for one, has a pile of used boats in the broker lot. Many more listed in yacht clubs and the other three marinas in town. No salt water, short seasons, light use. You will find Michigan awash in used boats with our economy still depressed.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 16:30   #17

Boat: Stevens 47

Just sold our Bayfield 29 to a fellow who resides in Connecticut.

He told me that he paid 3400 to have it shipped from Lasalle, Ontario, just outside of Windsor, to the ocean shores somewhere in Connecticut. Sorry, don't remember the exact place in Connecticut.

Bothwell trucking......

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 17:31   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 375

The 35 mk 1 is a great sailing boat. I raced in their one design fleet in Detroit for years. If you want to have some idea of what you can encounter on the trip, you can review our Blog from last year. We did the trip both ways on our trip to the Bahamas.
Check it out at Afeica.wordpress.com
If you need help bring the boat back to the neighborhood maybe we can help you.
Sinbad51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 18:22   #19

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I can't help on the nyc to Detroit, I did a delivery from the upper Mississippi River above St. Louis to Detroit. It was a 47' power boat the trip was 1054 miles completed in 19 days, we lost 2 days due to weather on Lake Huron and anchored out all but 4 nights. I do not think breaking it into weekend trips would work out very well, you will burn up a lot of $$$ for transient slips where you leave it until your return. I think it would be a great trip but I would think the traveling back and forth to where you leave the boat would kill a lot of the enjoyment of such a trip. My advice and it's worth less than you're paying for it is to plan well using Active Captain and cruising guides for the areas you'll travel thru. Make sure the boat is equipped, provisioned and in condition to make the trip. Pay close attention to weather forecast and do not risk going out when the wise sailor would stay in port or a safe anchorage, the boat will most likely take a lot more than you and your crew but you don't want to find that out. The best piece of advise is enjoy the trip and take a lot of pics to remember it. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 19:35   #20

Boat: 1976 Westsail 42

I have been looking in the great lakes area and there is a allied seabreeze that is a strong candidate. Slightly lesser in equipment, a slightly higher price and I'm need of more refinishing, but its got the allied blue water reputation and a bronze swing keel to get it into the shallows. Its also pretty much right where I need it to be. The commentary from this thread is a big part of the cost benefit decision on the boat choice. The real trip is down and around to Seattle and a lot of people argue for the offshore route. Makes the allied look quiet appealing considering the work to get the c&c here. Part of the goal is to get a young lady up to speed on sailing big water, so more time spent sailing lake Michigan makes us more prepared for the real journey.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
theller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 19:39   #21

Boat: 1976 Westsail 42

The allied also has a 35 HP diesel..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
theller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 19:14   #22

Boat: 2 C&C 35s

THELLER - I hope you are familiar with the C&C 35-1 Association of Detroit. If you are not, I'd like to welcome you to check us out. Consistently largest OD class in the Mackinac Race, and great Wednesday night and Saturday racing. We are also pretty social.
There are roughly 12 active boats in Lake St. Clair/Detroit River and 12 Active boats in Sarnia

Check out our website at www.candc35.com
If you'd like to be added to our email list-serv, let me know

Have you already purchased the boat? Where will you be keeping it? If you haven't purchased a boat yet, a really great boat in Sarnia just came on the market this week. Check it out here Topic: "Spirit" 1972 – $24K Sarnia ON | C&C 35 Mark I Association of Detroit

Anyway - I'd like to welcome you

if you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me at keysrock35@gmail.com

David Keys
C&C 35-1 Association of Detroit - Commodore
Owner of C&C 35 hull numbers 37 and 122
Keysrock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 19:16   #23

Also, I had one of my C&C 35s shipped from NYC to Detroit for about $2100 4 years ago.
Old 27-05-2015, 19:21   #24

THELLER, Are you familiar with the C&C 35-1 Association of Detroit? If not, I'd like to welcome you to check us out at C&C 35 Mark I Association of Detroit | C&C 35 Mark 1 Sailing and Racing Group. We are a very active OD class in Detroit and Southern Lake Huron. We consistently have the largest OD class in the BYC Mackinac Race and race Wednesday nights and Saturdays. We are pretty social also. We have about 24 boats in the class.

If you haven't bought a boat yet - one of the best boats in the class just came up for sail this week - see the link here Topic: "Spirit" 1972 – $24K Sarnia ON | C&C 35 Mark I Association of Detroit

If you have any questions at all, want to go for a sail on one, or want to grab a beer - let me know! I own two C&C 35-1s that my crew and I race.

Don't hesitate to contact me at keysrock35@gmail.com

David R. Keys
C&C 35-1 Association of Detroit
Owner C&C 35 hull numbers 37 and 122
Old 27-05-2015, 19:25   #25

THELLER,

For some reason, the forum won't let me post anything long... but I am the commodore of the C&C 35-1 association of Detroit and own two C&C 35-1s in Detroit. I'd like to welcome you!

Send me a note if you have any boat specific questions.

David

Tags
nyc