Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2013, 06:19   #1

Boat: Farrier, F9AX, rotating rig
FAMILY CRUISE, CHESAPEAKE TO CAPE COD

Hi all, we will be moving our sailboat (45' Wauquiez, 6' draft ) from Deltaville, Va. to the Cape Cod area in the middle of the summer as part of our 4 week family vacation. I would like to ask you all if you have preferred stops along the way. I have read a few guide books to the the mid atlantic and so far I have a few ideas.

We will most likely sail to the tip of the Chesapeake first, and wait for favorable weather to head north. We are still debating wether to sail straight to New York City or make landfall in a few ports along the way.

LEG 1: CHESAPEAKE TO NEW YORK. There aren't many "easy" inlets along the Virginia/Maryland/Delaware atlantic coast(?). At this point I would be tempted to sail straight to CAPE MAY, and enjoy a little beach time around there. Next stop could be ATLANTIC CITY, but I'm not sure if this area is really cruiser friendly (?). After this, it is straight to NYC, unless any suggestions say otherwise (?).

NEW YORK CITY STOPOVER: Anyone care to suggest a good (cheap?) marina or moorings centrally located. I would like to visit a little bit of the Big Apple, there is surely too much to do there, so maybe 2 or 3 days downtown would be a minimum... we are just passing through.

LEG 2: NYC TO NEWPORT, RI: I was thinking of heading from New York City up the East River and through Hell's Gate into the LONG ISLAND SOUND. I have sailed an Etchell's race in LIS years ago, but honestly I have no idea what are the nice areas of LIS that are worth a visit, any advice? I have been told not to miss BLOCK ISLAND(?), any comments? After LIS it is off to NEWPORT, RI, of course. Here again if anyone would care to suggest a marina or moorings centrally located?

LEG 3: NEWPORT TO CAPE COD: This is where it starts to get interesting but at the same time we might be running out of vacation time at this point in our cruise. The ultimate goal is to find a new temporary home for our boat somewhere in BUZZARD'S BAY or further in towards the Cape Cod canal... this is also an area where your input would be very appreciated. I would be looking for a recommended boatyard.

We will likely spend another year (next summer) cruising the Cape Cod area, MARTHA'S VINEYARD, NANTUCKET, etc... but for now we have to get there having fun along the way!

Any and all of your comments/suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks for your feedback.

PJ
pjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:35   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: FAMILY CRUISE, CHESAPEAKE TO CAPE COD

Cape May is really the only stop for a sailboat worth considering. Sure, you can get into AC easily, but you pretty much have to tie up in a marina or else lump around at anchor in a very strong current before the bridge. For myself I don't find AC has enough charms to warrant a visit. NYC and going up the East River is something quite exciting, with the Statue of Liberty, the Brooklyn Bridge, endless large commercial traffic and ferries--you have to stay on your toes. Marinas in the area are very expensive. There used to be some rental moorings in Atlantic Highlands and you could take a small ferry into Manhattan, but I don't know the harbor status after Sandy. Also, if you were shallow enough you could anchor in Great Kills Harbor on Staten Island and take a ferry over to NYC--again, Sandy did a lot of damage there. There is Liberty Landing Marina over on the Jersey Shore, and there are marinas on lower Manhattan, but all pricey. In the past I have also visited NYC by tieing up someplace like Stamford, CT, where I could catch a train back in. In LIS there are many interesting harbors. City Island would be a possible place to leave the boat and visit Manhattan. I particularly like Mystic and of course Mystic Seaport. Shelter Island has some interesting things, including the Sag Harbor Whaling Museum. Fishers Island has some nice anchorages. Block is always crowded and hard to find a place to drop the hook that isn't very deep, plus the bottom is very weedy. Most people pick up a rental mooring there. Newport has a small designated anchorage right in the middle of the harbor, that is bound to be very crowded. Rental moorings are run by Oldport Marine, and are pricey. There are many interesting places up Narragansett Bay and numerous boatyards/marinas if you want a good place to leave your boat. I particularly like Tripp's Boatyard in Westport, MA, as a place to keep a boat on a mooring. Horseneck Beach looks like Cape Cod, but without so many people. Favorite anchorages in the Buzzards Bay area include Cuttyhunk. Tarpaulin Cove, Lake Tashmoo, Hadley Harbor, New Bedford, and Onset. There are a lot more.

Tags
cruise, family