Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2008, 05:02   #1

Boat: 1975 Alberg 37 Yawl
Explorer Digital Charts (Bahamas)

Already have recent hardcopy versions of Explorer Charts of the Bahamas. Am looking for a RECENT digital version of the Explorer Charts in BSB Raster format to use with Capn and / or SeaClear II. I have an older version of the Explorer Digital Charts but would like to upgrade. The Explorer website is a bit vague as to the availability of digital Explorer Charts in BSB Format. Any help appreciated.
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 05:36   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think you will find a difference in the cd charts. We use to use Maptech, and their charts look exactly like the book charts. We had our laptops, and charts stolen from the boat. Recently we bought Garmin's Explorer charts, and they look nothing like the books.

Unfortunately I had bought the Garmin charts on the way out of town. I tried to load them when we got to Bimini, and that is when we found out you needed the internet, and or phone to open the charts. So it was back to paper, and D.R. We have finally been able to open the charts after returning home. I personally prefer the look of Maptech, but then again I am comfortable with what I am use to.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 05:36   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I recently emailed them and they are not available at this time. They say they hope to offer them soon.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 06:39   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I bought a C-Max/Max dchip recently as I was told it was based on explorer charts.

Using the electronic charts in the Bahamas I was very disappointed, it looked nothing like the Explrorer charts, AND the stupid thing was 2 years out of date.

I took it back to BlueWater Charts in Fort Lauderdale and was told electronic charts are non-refundable. After a few words with the manager when I told him loud and clear what I thought of the product and what he could do with it, he saw the light and let me return the thing.

Piece of chip....
Old 16-07-2008, 06:52   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
That's the problem with electronic charts. You don't know what you're getting and you can't verify their accuracy until you actually are there. They might look good in your plotter when you're planning but when you finally get to use them they might be way out in spots. I know the Navionics charts of the Bahamas are crap. Garmin and the new C-Maps are supposed to be Explorer charts. You have to keep telling yourself "never rely on electronic charts". But I must say those damn chartplotters soon grow on you and it's so easy to fall into the trap of relying on them.
Old 16-07-2008, 08:12   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
HELP, I 've fallen, and can't get up........lololololol well, it's work getting away from them plotters
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 08:37   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

NOAA chart 11013_1 includes the Bahamas, and is available in BSB digital format. I'm fairly sure it was available free from NOAA at:
Office of Coast Survey - NOAA Raster Navigational Charts

They're calling them "RNC" charts these days.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 09:13   #8

Boat: 1975 Alberg 37 Yawl
I also emailed Explorer, but have yet to hear from them - I can certainly use the old digital chart which I already have (they are copies of the older version Explorer charts with mostly green land masses.). Of course the Explorer charts are the 'only' charts to use in the Bahamas, and have great waypoints which you can bank on to be correct. Just wanted to upgrade to the newer digitals as a backup - no big deal I guess. Thanks to all for the comebacks.

Tom in Kinsale, VA
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 09:43   #9

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Explorer has been pretty responsive to me, although it usually takes them about a week to get back. Give them some time.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, charts