Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 09:53   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Explorer Bahamas Charts Digital yet?

I did some searching of the archives here and also online and it does not look like the Explorer Charts for the Bahamas are available in digital versions. Is this still true or am I just not looking in the right place?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:03   #2

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Re: Explorer Bahamas Charts Digital yet?

If you have a Garmin or GPS that takes C-MAP, you can get the Explorer charts data. If you have a Raymarine which takes Navionics (like me) you are hosed. Unless you want to buy another plotter...

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:07   #3

Boat: Taswell 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
If you have a Garmin or GPS that takes C-MAP, you can get the Explorer charts data. If you have a Raymarine which takes Navionics (like me) you are hosed. Unless you want to buy another plotter...

Scott
I use Open CPN and have the CM93 charts. Are you saying the C-map charts of the bahamas are the explorer charts?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:13   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

C-Maps and Garmin now use Explorer data. Navionics in their correspondence to me claim to have their own data and do not stoop to buying Explorer data. Navionics electronic charts of the Bahamas cannot be relied upon.

So, if you're cruising the Bahamas and in the market for a chartplotter get a Garmin or one that takes C-Maps.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
I use Open CPN and have the CM93 charts. Are you saying the C-map charts of the bahamas are the explorer charts?
Yes, according to Monty Lewis. Navionics' owners apparently are not interested in paying for the data from the Explorer Charts folks. They claim to do their own soundings, etc but as has been discussed previously there are some known deficiencies in the Navionics charts for the Bahamas. In fairness, they weren't terrible but I found a couple flaws and others report more than I found.

Given that the Explorer Charts are considered to be the gold standard I would prefer to have the same data in my plotter that I have in the chart books. It's a shame that you don't have that option with Raymarine/Navionics.

Scott
Old 01-10-2012, 10:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Navionics electronic charts of the Bahamas cannot be relied upon.
I think that's a little harsh. There are lots of people cruising the Bahamas with Navionics charts and most of them are not running aground and dying. As has been said before, you can't solely rely on any 1 nav tool. I just don't want folks to think they need to replace their plotter if they are planning on going to the Bahamas just so they can get rid of their Navionics charts.

Scott
Old 01-10-2012, 11:21   #7

Quote:
I think that's a little harsh. There are lots of people cruising the Bahamas with Navionics charts and most of them are not running aground and dying.

Scott
I have been using them for eight seasons in the Bahamas because my boat came with a Raymarine plotter. I think I began posting about Navionic's poor Bahamian charts in 2005 or so. Before I posted I corresponded with them and pointed out half a dozen geo-referencing errors. Their only response was that they relied on their own data and would not discuss the specific errors I had brought to their attention. Also they offered me my money back or a discount on their "new" chip which I ultimately found from other Bahamas cruisers was worse than the "old" chip. Navionics 2004 Bahamas chip is better than later ones when they had to remove data that they had "borrowed".

A few years ago there was a petition going around Bahamas cruisers imploring Raymarine to get off Navionics charts. My reason for stating the facts about Navionics Bahamas charts is to give those that do not yet have a chartplotter a choice; buy one with good charts or get one whose charts are unreliable. Unfortunately with electronic chart you cannot ascertain their accuracy except in situ. Playing with it at a WM store will tell you nothing about the accuracy of the chart.

As for my posting being "harsh" I cannot see how highlighting poor charts can be termed harsh. Especially when some of the errors are known to the chart maker and they take no steps to correct it. As for your statement " There are lots of people cruising the Bahamas with Navionics charts and most of them are not running aground and dying" I hope it doesn't have to come to this before we can warn others that charts cannot be relied upon and have the warning termed "harsh".
Old 01-10-2012, 11:29   #8

Rick,
I'm not a Navionics apologizer. I hate that they don't have the best data available. I don't have any issue with you pointing out their errors. You certainly have more experience with them than I do. I, too, have found errors. I just took your point about them being completely unreliable as harsh. I don't think they are *that* bad. That's my opinion, others may differ.

Scott
Old 01-10-2012, 12:00   #9

Quote:
Rick,
I'm not a Navionics apologizer. I hate that they don't have the best data available. I don't have any issue with you pointing out their errors. You certainly have more experience with them than I do. I, too, have found errors. I just took your point about them being completely unreliable as harsh. I don't think they are *that* bad. That's my opinion, others may differ.

Scott
I guess it's a question of semantics. I simply said "Navionics electronic charts of the Bahamas cannot be relied upon."

In my view you either can rely on them or you cannot. When I first sailed the Bahamas some of the charts were from initial surveys done in the 1800's. I'm not that old but until the advent of Explorer charts old Admiralty charts were all we had. I used them but I certainly did not rely on them. The same can be said about Navionics.

Tags
Bahamas, charts