Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2008, 03:43   #1

English analogue of Delius-Klasing (+)

"Sportbootkarten" - does anybody know ?
the aforesaid are really convenient - in size/scale/coverage, reasonably priced, but:
printed only in German/Danish; and my German is too weak to understand comments in enclosed pilotbooks

I found one re-printed folio offer here:

NIMA Nautical Chart Folio 530 - Bellingham Chart Printers

but they do not give details abt scale & coverage, + too many obsolete charts; any comments ?

thanks in advance
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 05:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Bellingam charts are reproduced charts made to fit the scale of a chart table on a non commercial boat. Other companies do this too and make regional folios. I find them quite adequate and use the one for our area all the time. You may also like the Admiralty Leisure Folios http://www.admiraltyleisure.co.uk/ALD_FOLIO_NM.asp as well as they are in English. As you note Sportbotkarten is the same thing but in German.

You comment "too many obsolete charts" I don't understand. Some charts don't get updated that much and all these companies just reproduce them. They don't make new charts so no one company has "better charts" just different ways to package them. Scales and coverages for the actual charts vary since the folios are made from the official charts and also rescaled to fit the folio format. The scales of the charts will never be all the same scale because the original charts are not of the same scale.

Folios are a way to get decent charts at a lower cost plus be able to store them aboard. The Bellingham folio for the Adriatic is priced about 1/4 the price of the charts purchased one at a time and are offered in a smaller or larger folio format.

If you are looking to purchase charts I would seek them in what ever language you speak "navigation" in best. Notes on charts often mean very important things and you need to be able to read them and understand all notes.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 10:02   #3

thank you Paul,

the reasons of my question are:
- Admiralty Leisure charts / folios do not cover necessary area (North Adriatic - Italian & Slovenian-Croatian coasts)
- HHR charts are in Croatian - even less understandable than German
- Bellingam can ship their folio only by FedEx - costs a lot and local office
is a nightmare (I once spent 3 full days in order to receive a used SW radio)

feel like have to start German studies
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote