Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2013, 12:35   #1
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
East Coast of Fla to West Coast Fla

I am planning a trip over to the west coast of florida and looking at different options.In fernandina now. Boat has 4.5' draft but has 71' mast. Was thinking about going through snake creek and inside the florida bay. Has anyone been through lately, I have clearance on bascule and overhead wires. Was concerned with depths and shoaling going through the creek and in the bay. Or does anyone have info on moser channel. I believe its only 66'. I have done outside and hawks channel wanted to try something different.
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 13:25   #2

Re: East coast of fla to west coast fla

We went through the snake creek inlet a couple of yrs ago. We had a 69 ft air draft and drew 4.5 ft. We went in at low tide and were able to just make it as the inlet is pretty shallow. We also just cleared the phone lines and data cables that are lower than the power lines. Good luck!
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 14:17   #3

Boat: Leopard 40
We went through Snake and Angelfish creek recently. Your draft should be fine but I would go through mid tide and rising. Even parts of the bay can be pretty shallow but we got through with a 4.5 ft draft plenty of times although you may bump occasionally at low tide.
There are power lines at Snake Creek but I believe the power lines are well above your mast height (>70ft). You could make Angelfish Creek as well. The entrance of both channels can be shoally and winding from the Hawk Channel so stay center.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 14:44   #4

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Snake creek will be fine for 71' air draft and 4.5' on the water side will be close at low tide but doable. The shallow part is just before you pass between the outer marks on the ocean side.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 16:54   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Its soft bottom where its shallow, at mid tide or better youll be fine. You will however Crap yourself going thu the bridge as it looks like the cables hang much much lower. Its just a visual effect but scarey looking first time u do it.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 17:30   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: East Coast of Fla to West Coast Fla

Frankly, with all the snags and shallows, I don't understand the logic of trying to take the inside route. Why not simply run down Hawk Channel to Key West and then zoom up to Marco Island or where ever you're heading? At this time of year you are primarily looking at easterly to southeasterly winds that would make the run out the northwest channel from Key West and up the west coast a very easy reach with no worries.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 18:33   #7
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
Because I have not done it yet.
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, west coast