Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2016, 21:23   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Don't upgrade to Windows 10 if you use Coastal Explorer

I just got a new laptop/tablet with Windows 10 and installed a copy of Rose Point Navigation's Coastal Explorer on it. Despite the fact that the system has a built in GPS Coastal Explorer cannot use it because Microsoft disabled access to Windows Location Services from "Desktop" applications. Coastal Explorer is considered a desktop application. Coastal Explorer works fine on Windows 8.1 with a built in GPS as we have another one that has worked just fine with 8.1 for almost 2 years. Now only "mobile" applications can access Windows Location Services.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:45   #2

Boat: Taswell 43
Re: Don't upgrade to Windows 10 if you use Coastal Explorer

I've been using Coastal Explorer since 2006 and upgraded to Windows 10 about 2 months ago. My PC is connected to external GPS's and it seems to be working just fine. I believe the Windows location services restriction is only a problem if you're trying to use a PC with a built in GPS.
CaptCoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 14:28   #3

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

I was under the impression that, most new laptops had GPS as a form of post theft locator. Seems a software patch would correct this issue.
I do feel your pain, especially when I think of the memories of my grandchildren I'm losing to software updates. Soon, our collective histories, will be history, i.e. Gone.!

Still surrounded by anchors.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:45   #4

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

This was what Brad at Rose Point had to say on this matter last July and I don't think things have changed since then:

"However, there is one thing that Microsoft has removed from Windows 10 that was in Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 that might affect some Coastal Explorer users. That is the ability for a Windows Desktop App (such as Coastal Explorer) to use the "Windows Location Service". This service provides a way for apps to share a location sensor without connecting directly to a GPS though a "Communications Port". This usually meant position estimates from Wi-Fi hotspots and cellular connections, and in some cases a GPS built into a tablet or laptop.

These positions tended to be very rough and we've probably had more customers ask how to disable Coastal Explorer's use of the Windows Location Service than customers actually using it, but it's worth mentioning that in Windows 10, it just won't work at all (at least for now...Microsoft may change its mind later).

As far as we can tell, Windows 10 and Coastal Explorer will continue to work with all of the other devices that have worked in the past; just not the Windows Location Service."
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 21:31   #5

I use "GeolocationTCP.exe" to work around the same problem with Win10 and OpenCPN on an HP tablet.

I also use "Centrafuse Localizer" with MemoryMap. MemoryMap is only set up to look for a com port, Centrafuse sets up a virtual com port that accesses the inbuilt GPS on the HP tablet. You need to pay for this app.

Both of these are referenced in CruisersForum.

Hope this helps.
martinz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind