Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 19:54   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Does Anyone Know of an Android Application Using CM93 charts?

"I think building anything on Android means ´rooting´your tablet and invalidating the guarantee. "

No, rooting has nothing to do with building Android apps. Anyone can download the Android SDK (software developer kit) from Google, install an emulator on their computer, and start building apps. Basically they are just Java code.

Daunting? Well, yeah, if programming was easy there would be a lot less garbage on the market. Rooting is only required when a program wants to do something that the phone maker (or carrier) has decided customers should not be doing. A navigation app shouldn't need to cross that line.

Oh, and if you want custom software but don't speak code? There are plenty of places that will job it out for you. Some will even do it for free, in return for a piece of the sales.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19   #17

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

barnakiel..

I said ´BUILDING´,meaning from other language,not normal .apk applications.
Especially for programs running under Windows.

Tore
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

I see.

Words have their own meaning when one is a pro.

I just build pieces of software the way I build other things: I get the materials and the tools and build.

I found Android easiest to create content.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:38   #19

Gee, you'd think "rooting" an android device is tantamount to getting a root canal.

'Rooting' a device renders the system folders (file systems) and files accessible. Restricted access to the file system prevents users from doing what they wish with their device, such as installing Linux and OpenCPN. This is sometimes referred to as "getting your device out of jail."

Nothing mysterious or dangerous about 'rooting a device' as long as you can read and carry out relatively simple instructions.

Odds your going to need your warranty with today's tablets are near zero. If somethings wrong with one, it will probably arrive D.O.A..

People who don't mind being limited in what they can do for free with their computers, phones and tablets will be most happy owning an Apple product.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Using GE2KAP and Google Earth you can also easily create .kap maps in zoomed-in great detail showing all shallows and underground reefs.
Tore
So long the water is clear.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:50   #21

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

The creation of .kap maps with GE2KAP and GE will of course only show shallows and underground reefs if it is not windy or overcast on the latest version of GE displayed. You can,however use the GE timeline and search back for a better display in earlier sat. photos,but then again,sandbanks etc. may have changed owing to currents and weather. It might at least contribute to reducing the position error triangle. Better than nothing!!

Tore
Old 07-09-2013, 13:16   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

My kingdom for a Droid app that uses CM93 and my tablet's built-in GPS!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 13:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
not windy or overcast…

.. Better than nothing!!..

Tore
Or the water muddy. Which will be very close to nothing.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 13:36   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
'Rooting' a device renders the system folders (file systems) and files accessible. Restricted access to the file system prevents users from doing what they wish with their device, such as installing Linux and OpenCPN. This is sometimes referred to as "getting your device out of jail."
If we're going to split hairs... rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights in the Linux core of Android devices; jail-breaking is the act of gaining more control over iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc). I've also heard that removing vendor restrictions so that a phone can be made to work on a different vendor's network is also called jail-breaking.

Both will void most warranties; either might be illegal, depending where you live (and who finds out about it )
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 15:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
My kingdom for a Droid app that uses CM93 and my tablet's built-in GPS!!!
All Apps I tried use the internal GPS.

Why this obsession with CM93? Why not use e.g. Navionics?

If you are into C-map, why not a Jeppessen App?

b.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:53   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
All Apps I tried use the internal GPS.

Why this obsession with CM93? Why not use e.g. Navionics?

If you are into C-map, why not a Jeppessen App?

b.
Er... because I, along with nearly everyone else here, already have the CM93 charts? And even though they are out of date and uncorrected, are still perfectly adequate when not in close proximity to shore, shoals, or nav aids?

I happen to have Navionics for a couple of areas where I need large scale up-to-date charts, and I like it. But not enough to get an entire world portfolio at what for me is a crippling price. I don't like buying something that I already have when it is already good enough.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Er... because I, along with nearly everyone else here, already have the CM93 charts? And even though they are out of date and uncorrected, are still perfectly adequate when not in close proximity to shore, shoals, or nav aids? (...)
a) Not in proximity to shore, no shoals, no nav aids. So what do you want the chart for?

b) Forget about an Android App to use CM93 charts. Unless there is going to happen an Android version of OpenCPN, which is not scheduled, as far as I know.

c) If you want CM charts, why an Android tablet? Why not a Windows 8 tablet? You could use CM charts then.

b.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
If we're going to split hairs... rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights in the Linux core of Android devices; jail-breaking is the act of gaining more control over iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc). I've also heard that removing vendor restrictions so that a phone can be made to work on a different vendor's network is also called jail-breaking.

Both will void most warranties; either might be illegal, depending where you live (and who finds out about it )
Who's splitting hairs?

Administrative rights for what purpose? For access to the systems files.

Anyway, an android device rendered capable of using any network is 'unlocked'. Motorola sold the Xoom and perhaps other models with the capability for owners to 'unlock' the device without needing to root the device. No keys or security measures to defeat either. Devices can be purchased 'outright' by paying a premium to what you've called vendors. They can be purchased from other sources already unlocked. For an owner to unlock a device originally purchased from a 'vendor' (telephone company) locked, is illegal now. But it is probably still possible to pay a fee (+-$100) to a phone company to have a device unlocked. Other charges may apply as well. Rooting a phone might make it possible to unlock a device but is not our objective. It is possible to root a phone and continue with the company you bought into. Furthermore, I imagine a phone company is going to have to prove a device purchased from them locked, was unlocked and actually used by an owner to register with a competitor. If you receive a locked device free or at a deep discount in conjunction with purchasing a plan, then unlock the device to use with a competing phone company, that is a different matter. You've renegged on your contract with the company. The best route to owning an "unlocked" device is to buy one new already unlocked.

You can call it anything you like, but rooting is breaking the device out of jail.

Rooting a device is not illegal. Unlocking a device can be illegal if you bought the device locked from a telephone company.

If you care about preserving warranties you'll probably never need, instead of using the device in ways you choose, by all means do.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:49   #29

Quote:
a) Not in proximity to shore, no shoals, no nav aids. So what do you want the chart for?
I don't buy into the inference CM93 charts are inherently unreliable. Like all navigation aids, you don't rely solely on one or the other. Rely most on your eyes, no matter which chart or aid to navigation you use.

Quote:
b) Forget about an Android App to use CM93 charts. Unless there is going to happen an Android version of OpenCPN, which is not scheduled, as far as I know.
Right. Use what's available now. Instructions here:
http://opencpn.org/ocpn/node/193

Quote:
c) If you want CM charts, why an Android tablet? Why not a Windows 8 tablet? You could use CM charts then.
b.
Because, first and foremost, Windoz and Windoz tablets suck!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:58   #30

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Send a message via Skype™ to G4MJW

Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Your link does not work! How weird . . it does now!
G4MJW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, paracelle