Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-09-2013, 16:13   #46

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Re: Does Anyone Know of an Android Application Using CM93 charts?

Don't like Win8. I won't use it.

Tried Linux on Droid already. It was, for me, a monumental task. Plus OCPN did not have full functionality. So now it CAN use the built-in GPS after installing more complicated stuff on top of complicated stuff. Okay, good for the Linux crowd. Remarkable achievement. But it is all Greek to me.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him learn Calculus or Quantum Physics or Chroot Linux loop files. I am that ignorant, stubborn horse.

I would much prefer droid tablet running android native app that can access onboard GPS and utilize CM93 charts without conversion. Period. Barely adequate for me would be a netbook running W7 or XP with a cheap USB GPS. The droid would be best since I already own one and like it. And I believe that is more or less where the OP stands, as well.

Nevertheless I have found this thread most interesting and I applaud the hard work that obviously went into developing the methods described.

GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 06:12   #47

keep track of SEAiq.

They already have an iPad app out and are working on an android version.

You can register here so that you will get warned when the android app is available. SEAiq Open for Android by Sakhalin - Ollapp.com.
The more people register the quicker the android version may appear?

About SEAiq: SEAiq

No affiliation with SEAiq, just an Android user.

Old 29-09-2013, 07:50   #48

Boat: Roberts Mauritius 45
Send a message via Skype™ to meridian@

I read the following about Ocpn on Android by Mr Wrong and thought 'Hmmm, rooting the tablet'. I used to have quite good Unix systems knowledge many years ago, but from what I've read, rooting can turn the tablet or phone into a brick if not done right.

Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.
Download FX, File Explorer and FX, File Manager Root file manager from Google Play. It is the best file manager I've used so far, but you may want to give others a try too.

Having already rooted your device, you should have Super User installed. Whenever you start an application like File Explorer that needs root access, Super User will appear and ask for your permission.

And on and on it went. So, like Sinbad7 I am daunted! Besides, it's the wife's tablet.

If Mr Wrong can convince we how easy it is, I am prepared to listen (read).

meridian@
Old 29-09-2013, 12:33   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

meridian-
rooting is easy and safe. That's why you'll see all the phone forums with years-old threads about "root this way" "my phones a brick" "oh, who told you to use that, that's horrible, use this" "my phones a brick" "oh didn't anyone tell you to..."
An awful lot of rooting advice is based on one person's experience with one variation of things they haven't explored. Some is from outright malice (malware loads) and a tiny bit from folks who might know what they are doing but have no command of Ynglitch or any other known language, so they keep correcting their instructions for months while the "brick" comments add up.
It certainly can be done and apparently is simple for some folks, but if the folks who so cavalierly said "Brick it" had to bet double-or-nothing on the cost of that advice, we'd quickly find out who was right.
Bricking is easy. So is golf, poker, and ball sports. I'm gonna join the NBA, get one of those gold jackets in the PGA, and then clean out Vegas, so I've just got no time to root anything. Otherwise I'd gladly help you out. <G>
Old 29-09-2013, 13:50   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I would just like to plug Navonics a little more. I was in Northern BC this summer. Did not want to spend hundreds of $$ for official charts that I may use only once. Bought all of Canada and US for 15 USD. The navonics chart on I phone was accurate to the foot! Much better than the big fancy chartplotter I got from a name brand marine. I navigated some channels I wouldnt have done without it. And in between my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and the program it was a bombproof combo.
Old 30-09-2013, 15:24   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian@ View Post
I read the following about Ocpn on Android by Mr Wrong and thought 'Hmmm, rooting the tablet'. I used to have quite good Unix systems knowledge many years ago, but from what I've read, rooting can turn the tablet or phone into a brick if not done right.

Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.
Download FX, File Explorer and FX, File Manager Root file manager from Google Play. It is the best file manager I've used so far, but you may want to give others a try too.

Having already rooted your device, you should have Super User installed. Whenever you start an application like File Explorer that needs root access, Super User will appear and ask for your permission.

And on and on it went. So, like Sinbad7 I am daunted! Besides, it's the wife's tablet.

If Mr Wrong can convince we how easy it is, I am prepared to listen (read).

meridian@

You have apparently made no effort for yourself to discover what's involved in rooting your tablet. Some very useful suggestions are in the instructions. But, I gather you've not made the effort to read them either.

You can depend upon 'hellosailor's' negative comments - who by the way has apparently never made an attempt to root a tablet, and who suggests he is supremely aware of what must be literally millions of bricked devices - or do a little bit of googling for your particular device and discover for yourself the truth.

Following Sinbad7's viewpoint is not recommended, because were it not for the bad dreams he's had about surrendering his warranty, he would have rooted his device ages ago. Need proof? It would take a few minutes if he ever denied this to locate his own posts.

Be brave, give it a go. Everything is reversable, including restoring your device to factory condition. And, guess what? Your manufacturer will never know you temporarily voided your warranty.
Old 30-09-2013, 16:02   #52
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey, Wrong, good to see you are living up to it. You're right, all I've tried to root is a phone, that's vastly different from rooting a tablet. (Not.) And once you brick it, the process is not always reversible. Everything depends on the software load and the firmware, and the casual user is just as likely to brick it and be unable to resurrect it--regardless of whether that is possible--as not.

Why, rooting a phone is simpler than baking a turkey for holiday dinner. And we all know of someone who didn't take off the plastic, or baked it with the innards still bagged inside, or made any of the other really simple mistakes that totally screwed up dinner.

If someone has to ask if rooting a phone is easy--odds are it won't be easy FOR THEM. And they'll gladly pay you $20 to root their device. Why don't you take the easy money, join the many rooting services available, none of which guarantee much of anything in writing, do they?
Old 30-09-2013, 16:40   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Hey, Wrong, good to see you are living up to it. You're right, all I've tried to root is a phone, that's vastly different from rooting a tablet. (Not.) And once you brick it, the process is not always reversible. Everything depends on the software load and the firmware, and the casual user is just as likely to brick it and be unable to resurrect it--regardless of whether that is possible--as not.

Why, rooting a phone is simpler than baking a turkey for holiday dinner. And we all know of someone who didn't take off the plastic, or baked it with the innards still bagged inside, or made any of the other really simple mistakes that totally screwed up dinner.

If someone has to ask if rooting a phone is easy--odds are it won't be easy FOR THEM. And they'll gladly pay you $20 to root their device. Why don't you take the easy money, join the many rooting services available, none of which guarantee much of anything in writing, do they?

So, why don't you provide some links for meridian so he'll know you're right. Prove to him how many of his tablet type has been irreversibly bricked. To be fair, make sure you also reveal how many have been rooted without so much as a minor glitch. Can't though, 'cause you don't even know which device he owns. My thread has been viewed nearly 27,000 times. How many viewers have followed my instructions after successfully rooting their device is unknown. But, what is known is that nobody has ever complained about 'bricking' their device in preparation for installing linux and OpenCPN. Until you've rooted (or irretrievably bricked) an appropriate device and followed my instructions, you are spouting pure conjecture and lack any sort of credibility.

Don't know what your problem is, but considering you haven't tried, succeeded or failed - you are speaking without having had any credible experience. The fact you declare odds are 50/50 a person is likely to brick their device has got to be a joke! No? Your source please.

Guess you managed in spite of certain failure, to root you're phone, eh?
Old 05-10-2013, 17:31   #54

OK Mr Wrong, you are right, I haven't googled for my device, just going on what I read in an Android magazine. They seemed to say that there is a risk.

I actually have two tablets and two smart phones with Navionics on one of each. I also C-Map Plan2Nav on them. That's fine, they work well, but I'd like to functionality of O to use the NMEA info that's there, not just the inbuilt GPS.

Hence I am looking for a wifi program to do that. It does seem cumbersome to have to install another OS then O on top of that, but I am prepared to give it a go if it is possible..

My 2nd tablet is a Rockchip flytouch 9 (don't ask why) running 4.1.0. It doesn't have an inbuilt GPS but will run Navionics with Bluetooth. Plan2Nav isn't compatible.

So, if you could give me some pointers on how I might achieve this installation, I'll give it a go. (You might tell me how to restore to original first :-) . As I said I used to have Unix system knowledge, installing OSs, kernals, DBMSs, etc. but that was 15 years ago.

meridian@
Old 05-10-2013, 18:46   #55
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Meridian, maybe "BlueNMEA" would help you. It is supposed to push NMEA data streams (like GPS) out over Bluetooth to other devices.

There are of course also stand-alone BT GPS pucks, varying abilities and features but I've seen them as low as $35.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:56   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

BT may be a blind alley. I tried some. At times it connects, at times it does not. At times it is connetced and GPS/AIS data gets lost. ETC. Waste of time.

Also, there are serial to wifi data devices around but not too many serial to BT.

Stay with wifi or maybe USB OTG if your tablets are OTG able.

b.
Old 06-10-2013, 20:25   #57

Rooting a device for the first time is a little unnerving, at least for me. I have rooted my DROID X2 and also my Nexus 7 ( 1st generation). I have found it easy to do. I trust the information on xda-developers as the know what they are talking about. A quick google search for 'root rockchip flytouch 9' found this link. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2107862 for your tablet . Also found the same instructions in another forum.. Just some reading info for you. You have to make the decision to root, because there is always a risk something will go wrong. Oh, I don't believe for a minute that there are 'millions of bricked devices'. The real risk is when you are DEVELOPING the root process or new ROM code, but not just following some tried and true method.
Hunter30 #22
mjf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58   #58

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Just one more data point . . . I've rooted 4 Android phones (one for me and each of my family members), and they all went smoothly. But as said above, it was with a tried-and-true 1-click method that someone put a lot of work into and got all the bugs out before I used it. Once you try it, it's no longer scary.
Old 20-10-2013, 19:41   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf55 View Post
... A quick google search for 'root rockchip flytouch 9' found this link. Like to know how to root a natpc x210 - xda-developers for your tablet . Also found the same instructions in another forum.. Just some reading info for you. You have to make the decision to root, because there is always a risk something will go wrong... .
Thanks for that info, I hadn't got around to searching myself, been a bit busy. But now the info is in front of me, I'll give it a go. Might as well as I am hardly using it. I much prefer the power and convenience of the laptop. I have also found that the 4.1.1 version is not compatible with some apps. Dunno what I can do about that.

meridian@
Old 21-10-2013, 09:49   #60

I'm using Marine Navigator software with visitmyharbour.com charts of the UK and Ireland. NOAA charts can also be downloaded. Has anyone else used Marine Navigator? If so, how can I reinstate the link to tracks which have been saved in the bsb_root folder?

Tags
charts, paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: