Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 12:19   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Does Anyone Know of an Android Application Using CM93 charts?

Well, for now I will probably get a small netbook and glue a GPS puck to the lid, and run OCPN under either W7, XP, or a 'Nix. But it would be nice to be able to do this with a droid and the droid's own built-in GPS.

I did try running Linux and OCPN on my Samsung droid tablet and that works fine, sorta, except without the convenience of GPS tracking. Not acceptable, to me. It was interesting and cool to see that I could get OCPN running on the droid, but a lot of hassle for limited functionality. This might be acceptable to some users. A popsicle stick sextant might be acceptable to some users. A sewing needle magnetized and floating on a sliver of wood in a bowl of water is a perfectly adequate compass. It is not totally unimaginable that a sailor could weave a set of sails out of chewed tree bark fibers. I want my chart navigation software to be able to use its host machine's built-in GPS, and utilize my CM93 charts, and PREFERABLY do this on an android tablet, even though yes, OCPN can run under Linux on a droid without full GPS capability, and yes, there are other apps that work perfectly with a GPS enabled droid, and yes, this could all be done on a W8 tablet... or could it? Well, anyway, I am looking for what I am looking for, and maybe some day it will be out there and I will get it.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:30   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4MJW View Post
Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Your link does not work! How weird . . it does now!
Thanks,

It couldn't find the !
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:40   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Well, for now I will probably get a small netbook and glue a GPS puck to the lid, and run OCPN under either W7, XP, or a 'Nix. But it would be nice to be able to do this with a droid and the droid's own built-in GPS.

I did try running Linux and OCPN on my Samsung droid tablet and that works fine, sorta, except without the convenience of GPS tracking. Not acceptable, to me. It was interesting and cool to see that I could get OCPN running on the droid, but a lot of hassle for limited functionality. This might be acceptable to some users. A popsicle stick sextant might be acceptable to some users. A sewing needle magnetized and floating on a sliver of wood in a bowl of water is a perfectly adequate compass. It is not totally unimaginable that a sailor could weave a set of sails out of chewed tree bark fibers. I want my chart navigation software to be able to use its host machine's built-in GPS, and utilize my CM93 charts, and PREFERABLY do this on an android tablet, even though yes, OCPN can run under Linux on a droid without full GPS capability, and yes, there are other apps that work perfectly with a GPS enabled droid, and yes, this could all be done on a W8 tablet... or could it? Well, anyway, I am looking for what I am looking for, and maybe some day it will be out there and I will get it.
Like your sense of humour! But hey, where have you been? All g.ps. types, built in, usb and bluetooth can now be used running OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment on android devices.

See here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-103649.html

And here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-94064-20.html

Old 08-09-2013, 18:13   #34

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)
Look, Monster: you are making a simple thing too complicated.

If you already have an Android tablet, link it via wifi to your laptop and use it as a repeater. In fact some remote desktop apps allow for touch to control the remote desktop (it is clumsy, but it works).

Or else: get a small Atom driven W8 tablet. Use OpenCPN with your fave CM charts.

Of course, a W8 tablet costs about is some 2.5 times more expensive than an Android tablet, but given that the Android one costs only some USD 100 or thereabouts, it should not be a big deal.

You can convert any chart into BSB format with freebie tools and use it with existing free Android Apps.

Forget about an Android CM93 App, I have not found any around. If you find it, give us head ups.

Have fun sailing, and charting.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 00:54   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Like your sense of humour! But hey, where have you been? All g.ps. types, built in, usb and bluetooth can now be used running OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment on android devices.

See here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-103649.html

And here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-94064-20.html

So I can install Linux, then OCPN on my Samsung Tab2 and it will pick up the tablet's GPS? And display a constantly updated position just like any native android GPS chart navigation app? Because when I tried this before, the GPS didn't work. OCPN didn't see it. Well, if so, it is a nice thing and I am glad that works now. But wow... I am still exhausted from the last time I got Linux working on my droid! I found it extremely difficult... roadblocks at every turn. I know it is supposed to be easy but I had a real booger of a time figuring it out. I might try that again some day but not right now. I was 2 or 3 days and late into the nights getting it to work and I don't have that kind of time right at the moment. But thanks for the update. I will check the links out.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:02   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Look, Monster: you are making a simple thing too complicated.

If you already have an Android tablet, link it via wifi to your laptop and use it as a repeater. In fact some remote desktop apps allow for touch to control the remote desktop (it is clumsy, but it works).

Or else: get a small Atom driven W8 tablet. Use OpenCPN with your fave CM charts.

Of course, a W8 tablet costs about is some 2.5 times more expensive than an Android tablet, but given that the Android one costs only some USD 100 or thereabouts, it should not be a big deal.

You can convert any chart into BSB format with freebie tools and use it with existing free Android Apps.

Forget about an Android CM93 App, I have not found any around. If you find it, give us head ups.

Have fun sailing, and charting.

b.
I'm not making it complicated. I want to make it simple!

Don't want to keep a laptop running. One reason for the droid is lower power usage. If I am using the droid and the laptop instead of just the laptop in the first place, I am increasing, not decreasing, my power consumption.

Yeah I know I can convert screenshots to KAP charts, but that's a hassle for more than just a handful of charts.

The Win tablet would be good, except I already got a droid, and you are right, they are pricey, and I don't like W8 and refuse to use it, so I guess that means W7 or XP on a netbook, or Linux on a netbook. Looks like that is the simple solution, and only about $250. Then I can have access to all of my charts. Nothing complicated about that, except the GPS dongle.

Still, a native droid app would be simpler, easier, cheaper.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:12   #37

Would like to download CM93 MAPS, 2010

where can I best be able to do this, and work them on OPENCPN

Thank you
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20   #38

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

The easiest way of all at the moment is to use the free Android OruxMaps.
Read the thread here:http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...aps-92465.html

Tore
Old 09-09-2013, 07:05   #39

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

re my # 38 You can also import Optimized Routes in .kml format to OruxMaps including wind and stream information obtained from qtVlm or via OpenCPN,as well as route and track files. Also easily converts/imports normal .kap charts.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-22-09-52-57.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	66897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-27-09-18-53.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	66898  

Old 09-09-2013, 07:44   #40

Quote:
I'm not making it complicated. I want to make it simple!

Don't want to keep a laptop running. One reason for the droid is lower power usage. If I am using the droid and the laptop instead of just the laptop in the first place, I am increasing, not decreasing, my power consumption.

Yeah I know I can convert screenshots to KAP charts, but that's a hassle for more than just a handful of charts.

The Win tablet would be good, except I already got a droid, and you are right, they are pricey, and I don't like W8 and refuse to use it, so I guess that means W7 or XP on a netbook, or Linux on a netbook. Looks like that is the simple solution, and only about $250. Then I can have access to all of my charts. Nothing complicated about that, except the GPS dongle.

Still, a native droid app would be simpler, easier, cheaper.
Not hard. If you've already rooted your device, the sweatty palms part is done. You already own an android. Don't need to spend $250 on something else.

What can be easier than using Linux Deploy to install the linux operating system?

If you had problems installing OpenCPN, it's because you didn't follow my step by step instructions. And, or - instead of against a brick wall, you didn't ask for help. After you've 1.) opened an android terminal and 2.) logged in as root, it's simply a 3.) copy from the instructions and paste to the prompt in the android terminal. Then press enter.

Sometimes permissions have to be reset for charts, but again not hard.

Just ask for help right away if you don't understand what's going on.

You're on the right track. Don't be derailed by the naysayers.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:06   #41

See LeaseOnLife's post #300 here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-94064-20.html

Just do it!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:25   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Millar View Post
Would like to download CM93 MAPS, 2010

where can I best be able to do this, and work them on OPENCPN

Thank you
No guarantees, but see posts 13 & 19 here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml:whistling:
Old 09-09-2013, 13:29   #43

Quote:

(...)

Hurry up. Netbooks are no longer made. Get yours now. The alternative is some 11'' machines, but they cost around USD 350 minimum. And do not worry about Win8 - netbooks cannot run it.

BUT: Why not a 8'' Win8 tablet?

netbook 250 USD plus GPS dongle at some USD 50 = 300 USD or thereabouts ..... WHY?

For less than 300 USD you can have a sleek W8, 8'' tablet with built-in GPS and all associated bells and whistles. Open CPN is said to work on Win 8 and here comes your CM 93 tablet ubergizmo!

You may like the W8 touch interface too - just walk into any big shop and try some. I like W8 by touch very much (not any less than I like our Android toy).

b.
Old 09-09-2013, 14:16   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hurry up. Netbooks are no longer made. Get yours now. The alternative is some 11'' machines, but they cost around USD 350 minimum. And do not worry about Win8 - netbooks cannot run it.

BUT: Why not a 8'' Win8 tablet?

netbook 250 USD plus GPS dongle at some USD 50 = 300 USD or thereabouts ..... WHY?

For less than 300 USD you can have a sleek W8, 8'' tablet with built-in GPS and all associated bells and whistles. Open CPN is said to work on Win 8 and here comes your CM 93 tablet ubergizmo!

You may like the W8 touch interface too - just walk into any big shop and try some. I like W8 by touch very much (not any less than I like our Android toy).

b.
b.

The OP's question pertains to android, so why continue pressing your preference for windows options? Appears to me you're whistling dixie to a milestone.

We know at least one CF member is reluctant to try OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment on his android due to fear of losing his warranty. What are your justifications for doing everything possible to interfere with the OP's objective? You too should try what the OP wants to do before concluding it's not worth the effort. If you've already done so and concluded it's not for you, all good. But, be respectful enough to say why.
Old 09-09-2013, 14:48   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
b.

The OP's question pertains to android, so why continue pressing your preference for windows options? Appears to me you're whistling dixie to a milestone.
OP's dreamed Android App to use CM93 chart does not exist and is not likely to happen.

If I sound whistling to you then that's that.

I was trying to share my experience with using OpenCPN on a W8 tablet.

I am not continuing to press any preferences as I have none. Except perhaps that I like things to be the same way the OP likes them: low power, inexpensive, simple.

I know there are many options. I am glad we have them and I am glad you are willing to share your experience too.

I bet there is enough room here for not two but many more experiences, opinions and attitudes.

b.

Tags
charts, paracelle