Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What is your primary nav station?
The nav table, dummy! 68 61.82%
The saloon table. 17 15.45%
The cockpit. 27 24.55%
Other 4 3.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 01:21   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

For pilot's (going anywhere from 200kts to mach 2) here is our chart table...
Don't really need much navigation at +200 kts, when yer' lost, just fly around for a couple of minutes (heck, even 30 minutes) - yer' sure to find something you recognise within 100 nm, not that easy at 4 kts, that 2 nm of water looks much the same as the last 2 nm of water.
Oh and if yer' IFR, yer' sure to come up on someones radar in 100 nm.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:07   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Granite reefs...

Aerial reefs? We were told never to go near cumulo-granite.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:18   #33
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Surely these cumulo-granite reefs are marked on the modern aeronautical charts!!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:14   #34
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
It's been awhile since I was aboard a ship but I think the navigators were required to mark their pos'n on the charts every 10 minutes. If that was a regulatory requirement (Canada Shipping Act) or just a C/O's standing order to keep the Mates busy during a watch I don't know. I was a Logistics Officer not a navigator but during long passages I'd hang out on the bridge and learn some chartwork. I once had us 20 miles off course in the middle of Lake Superior and when the old man showed up on the bridge he wasn't amused!!

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:19   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Surely these cumulo-granite reefs are marked on the modern aeronautical charts!!
Yeah but most pilot's don't get to heave to or lie ahull, take a celestial shot, duck downstairs, brew up a cuppa, sharpen the pencil, perform 3 hours of intricate calculations and then precisely mark on the chart every ten minutes the exact point where their airplane isn't...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:48   #36

I suspect that many sail boat skippers would learn much about navigating by means of maintaining a high degree of spatial awareness in real time as to where they are against the real world features about them rather than against lines and periodic pencil marks made on charts if they were to spend time with pilots of small aircraft that undertake long oceanic or transcontinental flights or with skippers of very fast (35-45 knot) commercial vessels.

Generally, I find that skippers of faster powered pleasure vessels are more alert than sail boat skippers are to navigation practices oriented to an awareness of the real world about them rather than to periodic pencil marks on a chart.

In response to the original question, for me the notebook running the ECS sits on the "chart" table. I haven't used or referred to a paper chart for navigation for many years.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:58   #37
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
There are some places you need to navigate by the second on a boat. Switch backs, cross winds, cross currents, channel is only 40ft wide and drops straight down, boat 23ft. wide, and all of this in one place.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 19:41   #38

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
I normaly use the cockpit or table because i like to have the space of the table to plan and then read it in the cockpit, i do use the nav station sometimes and for storage.
Old 20-05-2008, 23:09   #39

Boat: Catalina C36
I would not own a boat without a nav station; it is my personal space with my toys (e.g., chartplotter, GPS, radar, radios, computer, etc). I use it to monitor our progress on paper charts as backups, update ship's log, and use it to plan future courses/times.
Starboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 23:39   #40
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I have a nav station that permits the use of full size charts, has a proper seat, a repeater for speed/depth/water temperature and the chartplotter as well as a digitial barometer, my SSB and fixed vhf - inotherwords, a proper nav station. Only in close quarters do I really navigate (with use of the instrumentation, chartplotter, radar, paper charts in a plastic sleeve and binoculars)from on deck. But routing/course alterations, waypoint entries, manual plotting and log entries are all made from the nav station. Ultimately, use is contingent upon convenience - and that means space, comfort and access to the necessary information.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 01:13   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
I suspect that many sail boat skippers would learn much about navigating by means of maintaining a high degree of spatial awareness in real time as to where they are against the real world features about them rather than against lines and periodic pencil marks made on charts if they were to spend time with pilots of small aircraft that undertake long oceanic or transcontinental flights or with skippers of very fast (35-45 knot) commercial vessels.

Generally, I find that skippers of faster powered pleasure vessels are more alert than sail boat skippers are to navigation practices oriented to an awareness of the real world about them rather than to periodic pencil marks on a chart.

In response to the original question, for me the notebook running the ECS sits on the "chart" table. I haven't used or referred to a paper chart for navigation for many years.
Not sure I understand that one Midland…I have worked as a navigator on a high speed passenger hovercraft and I can tell you it is all about vectors.

No time for spatial awareness,(or even looking out the window) you are plotting relative courses at high relative speeds of all the targets while trying to stay on optimum course.

The pilot gets to look out the window but the navigator tells him what to steer.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 17:42   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
No time for spatial awareness,(or even looking out the window) you are plotting relative courses at high relative speeds of all the targets while trying to stay on optimum course.
I take it from the comment about relative courses and speeds of targets that you are talking about specific situations with many other vessels around - in which case I agree mostly, although in my experience there has to be a lot of other fast traffic for the situation not to be able to be managed by radar and eyeball alone.

My comment was with respect to navigation in normal coastal/large harbour/among fixed dangers type conditions not in high traffic density constrained waters.

I don't know how fast hovercraft go (I have only ever been on one as a passenger at night) maybe they cruise faster than the 30-40 knots I am referring to?
Old 21-05-2008, 18:37   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
I don't know how fast hovercraft go (I have only ever been on one as a passenger at night) maybe they cruise faster than the 30-40 knots I am referring to?
Whoops, that was meant to read "...maybe they cruise faster than the 30-40 knots I am referring to and maybe not as maneuverable as fast surface craft (and waterjet powered surface craft that I am most used to can stop within a few boat lengths - so anyone standing falls over )?"
Old 12-06-2008, 04:31   #44
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
On the average 30 – 40 footer, imagine how much extra space you could make into seating, storage, TV cabinet, etc., if you ousted the chart table?
My chart table has both seating and storage, but no TV allowed onboard.

Trying to get away from B.S. and TV is full of it....

Old 12-06-2008, 07:19   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Counting (4) microphones at that (wonderful) Nav’ Station, reminds me that CSY Man is a pilot - they do like redundancy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote