Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What is your primary nav station?
The nav table, dummy! 68 61.82%
The saloon table. 17 15.45%
The cockpit. 27 24.55%
Other 4 3.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2008, 04:10   #16

We always use the nav station for nav work. Gotta admit the laptop takes up much less room then the paper charts. We also keep a chartlet in the aft cockpit when going up or down river to tick off the marks as we pass them.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 04:13   #17

I use my nav station where I have all my instruments and electric controls and plotting instruments. The surface is large enough for all but the largest paper charts. On passages plots are charted on paper. For typical weekend stuff it's digital.

The companionway hatch as a lift up plexi cover where you can place a paper chart and it won't blow away or get wet. Hardly every use it, but it was a clever idea by the designer.

Digital charting lets you see your progress position without having to "work" and so this kind of charting can now be almost anywhere. Communications like SSB is better below at the chart table I suppose.

Lots and lots of wires... eh Bill?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 04:39   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

I replied with chart table - but on reflection this is when underway, but for initial planning / day dreaming will use the Saloon table - mainly cos' I do not have a comfy seat at the Nav table and more room to spread out / put me coffee and ashtray

But underway the chart table area just keeps all the "stuff" together.....and frees up the saloon table for important stuff. Like eating

Chart table on a 30 Footer? (mine does not look like this.....yet!)

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 06:44   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Once upon a time...

Chart tables were used almost exclusively for charts. Paper charts. That's all there was.

Even very small boats, like the 30' Wanderer in her around-the-world voyages had a full-size chart table! One which could take full-size paper charts. Wow...how many of us have one of these, these days? Even on 50-footers!

I kinda like my nav station, though it doesn't much resemble the full-size chart table on Wanderer, which recorded a hellava lot more miles than I have :-)

Bill
Yes, previous boat was a Wanderer class (a Sir L Giles design), - sail number II, built in NZ - complete with a chart table (nav station).
As others have mentioned, it was my personal space and very welcome in a small boat. Had the sounder, GPS, VHF, HF, 27 MHz, AM radio, Stereo all jamed in around it, just enough room for charts, current sight reduction tables, almanac, pilot, tide tables, rulers, pencils and the rest of the fruit. Even had the switch panel, circuit breakers, meters etc above it. Couldn't fit the sextant so that was stowed nearby. Was a great place to sit when not needed on deck - sort of like the nerve center of the boat.

Funny but I can't seem to fit one into my current 31 ft van DeStat dogger - will miss that space.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 08:13   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Of course, the question presupposes that one actually has a Nav' Station.
What's a "chartplotter"?
[I'm not totally ignorant: I know what a pencil is]
Hi Gordon,
An electronic chart, pretty much. Your right, the name is a little misleading.

Chartplotter - Wikipedia

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 09:35   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
When coasting (day or night) the paper chart is always prepared with bold parallel index lines and numbers showing safe distances off conspicuous radar targets along my optimum course.

If the laptop gets Demonized the radar and paper chart keeps me out of trouble.

Although it doesn’t show on this photo, I have a thin piece of clear plexiglass to cover and fix the chart on the nav table so that I can use the plexi with a grease pencil to plot my position by radar if I needed to.

(Also protects the chart from the coffee drips)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Navg. Desk looking forward.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	3460  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 10:46   #22

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Comm/Nav Station

It took some agonizing, but my chart table ended up becoming the communications station... which includes all the usual radio gear plus ham equipment, digital modes, a dedicated Mac Mini, data collection tools, and so on.

The primary chartplotter lives at the inside helm, which conveniently has a swivel seat the spins to face a small table-for-two in the pilothouse. So that's where charts end up also.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 30-04-2008, 11:32   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
It took some agonizing, but my chart table ended up becoming the communications station... which includes all the usual radio gear plus ham equipment, digital modes, a dedicated Mac Mini, data collection tools, and so on.

The primary chartplotter lives at the inside helm, which conveniently has a swivel seat the spins to face a small table-for-two in the pilothouse. So that's where charts end up also.

Cheers,
Steve

But the important part is... how did you like the Little Cod this winter???
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 11:38   #24

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
But the important part is... how did you like the Little Cod this winter???
Heh... was just thinking about that this morning. It's not installed yet, but the stove is done, as well as the beautiful custom stainless shelf and heat shield. Now I just have to sail over to Orcas Island and slither into the "ditch," a narrow little slot with a small marina that, occasionally, has room for a boat... whereupon we'll Drill the Big Hole in the Deck *shudder* and install it.

Then we will have some serious stove-amortizing to do! Might even have to go north, just to increase the ROI.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 30-04-2008, 21:25   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am sure not many will appreciate this but as a sailor and a pilot I am often amused by the navigation threads around here.

"How big is your chart table" and "You are crazy for not tracking your location minute by minute on paper charts" and "I wouldn't leave San Diego harbor for a daysail without a full set of paper charts for the entire world to back up my 2 chartplotters and 3 handheld GPSs"

I get it - long range cruising is boring so shooting stars and working out celestial plots is fun. But I can't believe you need to do it hourly. Really how lost can you get going 6 knots?

For pilot's (going anywhere from 200kts to mach 2) here is our chart table...

I have not done any long range cruising but most cruising boats I have been on around here has a laptop and a GPS and may have some paper charts under a mattress somewhere for backup.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 21:41   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dan,
I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. It all depends on how fast you are going, how many hazards are around and your visibility. That's most of it in a nutshell. The whole goal is to not hit anything hard and to find your destination and if you are doing that successfully then you are doing fine.

David

Old 30-04-2008, 21:54   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Just a quick question Dan? How many reefs do you find up there in those dangerous clouds?

Pilots really only have to worry about taking off and landing in the right place. They are "controlled and monitored" the rest of the way and staying awake seems to be the biggest challenge outside of punching in all the right route numbers.

Exageration is a bi*ch...aint it? LOL
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 21:59   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

LOL Pelagic! I thought their greatest fear was crappy airline food.

Old 30-04-2008, 23:50   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Airplane Reefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Just a quick question Dan? How many reefs do you find up there in those dangerous clouds?

Pilots really only have to worry about taking off and landing in the right place. They are "controlled and monitored" the rest of the way and staying awake seems to be the biggest challenge outside of punching in all the right route numbers.

Exageration is a bi*ch...aint it? LOL
Does this count as a reef?

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 00:12   #30

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
hell you can see that. It's an island. LOL