Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-08-2010, 11:39   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbseesmoore View Post
Great timing,
was just about to ask about logs for our new adventure. I'll be considering the 3 ring binder. Can anyone recommend an economical alternative, no gold leave lettering here. Would like to keep one on the pc as well.
How about a bound notebook like these? Draw your own columns or whatever.

Staples® Composition Notebook, Wide Ruled | Staples®

Or a purpose-printed one like this The Cruising Log? | Weems & Plath

Old 31-08-2010, 11:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
I started keeping a log in early 1975 3 years after learning how to sail. I have never ever regretted starting it. I reconstructed the first 3 years by stating how many times I went out sailing and in what area and what I believed the wind conditions to be as well as mentioning who was crew and what kind of boat I was in.
I've, on many ocassions, gone back to my log to remember what and when I did what and lessons I learned along the way.
Sometimes its a wake up call. "Oh yeah I should have remembered that from the last time I made that mistake." Time, date, Course, Speed, engine on?, Windspeed, Wind direction, weather conditions, lat and long or general area are all good things to include. I put down boat name, crew members and a general comment. Sometimes as I'm making a passage there are updates every two hours or so or as conditions change.
kind regards,

Old 31-08-2010, 12:02   #18

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
A large dairy with one page per day functioned well for me before the days of being able to design and print one at home or on board.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 18:38   #19
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
My attorney advised against keeping a log as they are very often used against the captain - many people who have presented a log book lost the case because it was determined that the Captain had done things wrong in the past , and could be twisted into a pattern- I make only small note of bottom and holding at anchor, little things like that
That is an interesting perspective and from a purely pleasure boater’s point of view, it kind of makes sense to offer no indication of your awareness, capabilities and training. (see no evil / write no evil )

However, if you held a commercial license and were actually chartering or doing commercial work with your yacht, I believe the courts would hold you to a higher professional standard.

There are certain “boiler plate” log entries that watch keepers are taught to always put in the ship’s official log.

For example: In or near Fog…. “Reduced to Safe Speed, Nav Lights on, Auto pilot off, posted extra lookouts..etc.”

Standard entries like that are expected to be made by licensed watch keepers and if they are missing the courts usually will conclude that there was sloppy bridge management, starting with the Master.

That is where these type of entries will actually help protect the Master’s license from being suspended.

For me, apart from that kind of legal protection on a variety of seamanship standards, the Log actually acts as my ongoing check list of things I should be doing as it relates to the safety of the vessel and my awareness of the situation.
Old 31-08-2010, 18:43   #20
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
yes, and on
Waterproof Notebooks | Waterproof Field Books | Pens

check out the field books. 80 pages, nice size.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:40   #21

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThinking View Post

At least as far as I am concerned it seems that in all these years I never encountered the exact same situation twice which would have allowed me to fall back on "my experience" and state: "That's the way this has to be handled!"
Boats differ, situations differ, wave length differ, space to leeward differs and no gale ever seems to mirror any other one has lived through before.

Don't know about you guys, but for me it's always the full learning curve when I set foot on a boat......

Interesting comment. And one I've never heard or read before. I do agree that's pretty much how it's been for me too.

And every time i step into a new -to me- car, I tend to learn again. Even with the eequivalent of 10 'circumnavigations' of road miles under my belt...

Maybe my memory is just simply short?! early signs of Alzheimer light? Or could it be that one never get's fully educated?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:47   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
SOLAS Convention

I might be wrong, but I think that keeping a log is a requirement for vessels under SOLAS Convention 1974 - Which is an international requirement (Chapter V - I think). This also mandates passage plans, and a number of other things such as radar reflectors. This Convention is applicable for all shipping, but guidance in UK to owners and authorities has applied common sense to these rules - e.g. a passage inside the solent where the owner has made the passage numerous times, does not need a plan. Whereas a trip across the english channel would do so.

French authorities have been known to ask to see the log book.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:12   #23

Boat: Lord Nelson 41 S/V Fair Wind
Send a message via AIM to MJWEENZ
I keep a log of all trips, more for maintenance purposes than anything else. Repairs, equipment replacement, engine hours, etc. The PO (well 2 POs ago) logged similar information and the information has been incredably helpful.

MJ
Old 01-09-2010, 06:15   #24

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I keep mine in a page per day hard bound diary which already has the dates printed on each page these cost about $10 in an office supply store.
Noting; departure time and place, weather conditions, general observations and points of interest passed or seen during the day, names of boats or people we meet or travel with along the way, arrival time and general description of marina or anchorage. I note miles traveled per day, on days I purchase fuel I note the price and quantity and the miles traveled since last fuel stop so I can keep an eye on MPG. I'm in a powerboat.
I do keep a separate maintenance log in a three ring binder.
The hardbound diaries are nice, you can keep them on a shelf, when someone asks you how long a trip was or where did you stop on a trip 3 years ago you will have the details right there to give them or for you own use in trip planning like what were the names of that couple we met in ---- a couple of years ago.
I also post daily to a blog I keep while cruising the blog includes several pictures per day along with most of the above information. And a link to Google Earth showing a sat photo or map of the stopping point for the day
Good cruisin' to you
Steve
Old 01-09-2010, 07:35   #25

Boat: contessa 32
Log? Of course ! people you meet with boat names, matienance, sunsets ,oil change dates,shopping lists ,to do lists,things I want to try, good times ,bad times,fish caught ,memorable meals,legal considerations,near misses,bumps in the night,emotional issues of the captain and crew, etc.,etc. its a tradition of the sea and if you stay with it ,they will get you through some long winter nights in the future.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:47   #26

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
I know that I'd appreciate it if my brother kept a log of what he's broken or run over on the weekends he takes the boat out.

I'm lucky to get a text that says, "FYI, the toilet doesn't flush anymore."
Old 01-09-2010, 08:46   #27

My logbooks are the bound engineering notebooks I used to keep when working. More of a diary of everything: thoughts, people, places, things bought, recipes, designs, phone calls, drawings of boat projects, pasted in stuff. Everything. The underway navigation notes are a very minor part.

No columns, no structure. 100 pages of graph paper. Fill about one a year. Always with me. Very handy.

Ask me the length and fittings on the port lifeline replaced three years ago...a minute of flipping pages...bingo...hmmm....looks like that's the same day Shawna gave me the mango salad recipe.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:58   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
When I started cruising I used a 3-ring binder with custom designed log sheets (double sided with lots of space to write). The biggest problem I had with the binder was the pages tearing out and I didn't want to use those hole reinforcers.

I've got an upgraded log designed and will get the pages bound at the local printing store. I'm hoping the pages will be more durable, the binder more attractive, and "legal". As with the last, I'll laser print them (laser printing seems more water resistant than ink jet) with page numbers and vessel info in the appropriate spots.

It'll be more expensive than buying a commercial version or blank paged journal (btdt, not again) but will have the layout I want, data fields I consider important to my cruising style, and be all mine. The only thing to figure out is the quantity.
Old 01-09-2010, 14:03   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_douglas View Post
When I started cruising I used a 3-ring binder with custom designed log sheets (double sided with lots of space to write). The biggest problem I had with the binder was the pages tearing out and I didn't want to use those hole reinforcers.

I've got an upgraded log designed and will get the pages bound at the local printing store. I'm hoping the pages will be more durable, the binder more attractive, and "legal". As with the last, I'll laser print them (laser printing seems more water resistant than ink jet) with page numbers and vessel info in the appropriate spots.

It'll be more expensive than buying a commercial version or blank paged journal (btdt, not again) but will have the layout I want, data fields I consider important to my cruising style, and be all mine. The only thing to figure out is the quantity.
Care to share your layout?

Also, if you want, waterproof paper is available in bulk from Rite in the Rain All-Weather Writing Paper I use their notebooks for sailing, backpacking, Search and Rescue, and other activities: The paper isn't indestructable but it is very, very durable.
Old 01-09-2010, 15:14   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post

Ask me the length and fittings on the port lifeline replaced three years ago...a minute of flipping pages...bingo...hmmm....looks like that's the same day Shawna gave me the mango salad recipe.
Bingo!

Mine is a formal one created by Evergreen Pacific with tabs for radio, maintenance, cruising, fuel log etc.

I sort of use it only in the "journal" sense except for maintenance and fuel.

It is spiral bound and I hate that. When writing on the back side I just cannot handle my hand on the spiral as I try to write.

Next will be a glued binding that will lay flat and I will (wastefully ) use only one side of each page.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: