Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2015, 14:10   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Courtenay, BC, Canada
Boat: Brent Swain design 36' steel sloop
Posts: 62
Images: 2
DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Years ago I read an article about how to install/make a permanently mounted tube knotmeter (It has a bead that moves up and down as the speed changes) and thought I had kept a copy--but can't find. Does anyone have such a beast or know dimensions?? Davis used to make a hand held one. Wanted to try. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
sunbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 19:18   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 332
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbear1 View Post
Years ago I read an article about how to install/make a permanently mounted tube knotmeter (It has a bead that moves up and down as the speed changes) and thought I had kept a copy--but can't find. Does anyone have such a beast or know dimensions?? Davis used to make a hand held one. Wanted to try. Thanks.
I have a wind speed meter like you mentioned made by Dwyer-



But, I'm searching for the same thing- an analog device to measure boat speed. Since the Dwyer wind meter works by a difference in air pressure (Bernoulli's principle) I assume the tube knot meter you're referring to would work the same way.

There's the "knotstick" but is too expensive- something around $60.

I made a chip log and have used it quite a bit. It's reliable but since I have to "heave the log" and don't have the line on a spool it gets tangled upon retrieval.

Counting the seconds it takes for, say, a "bubble" in the water to pass from the bow to the stern is easiest. Here's how to do it-

Boat Speed


...for a 30 foot boat.



Determine boat length in nautical miles



30 feet divided by6,076 feet (nm in feet)= .00493' boat length in NM



Multiply Boat length x seconds in 1 hour= .00493 x 3600= 17.748 Boat Value


Speed= Boat Value divided by seconds for stuff to pass from bow to stern (figures below are rounded).



1sec 17.8 kn



2sec 8.9 kn


3sec 5.9 kn


4sec 4.4 kn


5 sec 3.6 kn


6 sec 3.0 kn


7 sec 2.5 kn


8 sec 2.2 kn


The results are easy to memorize or just write them down.

Let me know if you find anything....and I'll do the same.
__________________

__________________
PDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 20:25   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 21
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

wow-thats actually some good info, thxs--hopefully someone will find some old school drawing of the knotmeter--I seem to remember seeing a design that had a tube thru the hull and some way to read pressure generated by the different speeds.
__________________
mousenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 05:27   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 332
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

A Pitometer, which is what I think we have in mind is mentioned in Dutton's book; Navigation and nautical astronomy.

Here's more about it- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitometer_log

Except for the mercury I think it would work just as well with oil or glycerin (stuff that wont evaporate easily).

A Pitot tube is probably the correct device to use;

The Photo-Pitometer


__________________
PDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:11   #5
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Sunbear,
Why do you need a knotmeter if you have a GPS?
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:21   #6
Registered User
 
Jman's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northeast, USA
Boat: Luders 36
Posts: 230
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Sunbear,

Why do you need a knotmeter if you have a GPS?

Because you care about the difference speed over the ground and speed through the water?


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:42   #7
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,057
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Just spend the $50 bucks and be done with it will cost more to make your own unit.
Knotstick Sailboat Speedometers
__________________
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:10   #8
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
Because you care about the difference speed over the ground and speed through the water?


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Jman,
You can determine your exact speed over water from your hourly fixes by your GPS. Speed devices are notoriously innacurate and can be influenced by current, tides and leeway. When my speed log crashes, it will not be replaced. It's only a rough guess of your actual speed. And, it has a reputation as an excellent weed and barnacle catcher. However, speed logs aside, do you race that beautiful yawl in your avatar?
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:18   #9
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,828
Images: 2
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Jman,
You can determine your exact speed over water from your hourly fixes by your GPS. Speed devices are notoriously innacurate and can be influenced by current, tides and leeway. When my speed log crashes, it will not be replaced. It's only a rough guess of your actual speed. And, it has a reputation as an excellent weed and barnacle catcher. However, speed logs aside, do you race that beautiful yawl in your avatar?
It's your GPS frelled by current, tides and leeway. Thou sailing in lakes (great or small) there's not tides..
__________________
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:21   #10
Registered User
 
Jman's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northeast, USA
Boat: Luders 36
Posts: 230
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Jman,

You can determine your exact speed over water from your hourly fixes by your GPS. Speed devices are notoriously innacurate and can be influenced by current, tides and leeway. When my speed log crashes, it will not be replaced. It's only a rough guess of your actual speed. And, it has a reputation as an excellent weed and barnacle catcher. However, speed logs aside, do you race that beautiful yawl in your avatar?

It is correct you gps gives speed over the water (or over ground depending on how you want refer to is). It does not give speed through the water. As you say it is affected by current as one example. But knowing the difference between the two, along with heading vs. course over ground allows you to calculate that current.

If that is important to the OP I don't know.

To your question, yes, although only one or two regattas a year.




Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:10   #11
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
It's your GPS frelled by current, tides and leeway. Thou sailing in lakes (great or small) there's not tides..
Teddy,
Not quite true. The Great Lakes do have wind-driven currents, tidal differences along the coasts due to direction and strength of the wind and we certainly have induced leeway when sailing abeam on lumpy days in a shoal draft vessel. However, we lived aboard for ten years in South Florida and the Caribbean and are very familiar with these important factors although not, perhaps, as large as a factor as is in Alaska. Many interesting sites are offered by NOAA for Great Lakes sailors that record wind, current, temperature, etc. One of them is:Great Lakes Currents Map Good luck and good sailing. P.S. We'd love to sail your beautiful waters one day.
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 13:04   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 332
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

I need an analog speed device because;

1- I want to use a device that doesn't require batteries.

2- The sailing I do now, with a small boat, doesn't need or require a GPS.

3- It's easier, and more enjoyable, for me to use a chart and plot positions using a compass or by measuring horizontal sextant angles.

The easiest speed determination method I've round so far is timing an object floating from bow to stern.
__________________
PDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 13:28   #13
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA1 View Post
I need an analog speed device because;

1- I want to use a device that doesn't require batteries.

2- The sailing I do now, with a small boat, doesn't need or require a GPS.

3- It's easier, and more enjoyable, for me to use a chart and plot positions using a compass or by measuring horizontal sextant angles.

The easiest speed determination method I've round so far is timing an object floating from bow to stern.

PDA1
The knotlog Newhaul recommended is an excellent choice. We sailed with that exact device for several thousand miles on our first boat before we bought a GPS. The only problem with that device is that the trailing line can become snagged with debris and may break. However, it never happened to us. Good luck and good sailing.
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 15:15   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 332
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
PDA1
The knotlog Newhaul recommended is an excellent choice. We sailed with that exact device for several thousand miles on our first boat before we bought a GPS. The only problem with that device is that the trailing line can become snagged with debris and may break. However, it never happened to us. Good luck and good sailing.

I'd be easy to make that gadget.
__________________
PDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 21:40   #15
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,057
Re: DIY Tube Knot meter Plans ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA1 View Post
I'd be easy to make that gadget.
Your not paying 50 bucks for the unit it probably cost 15 or 20 bucks the rest is for the calibration
__________________

__________________
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
knot

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Necessary is a Knot Meter ? Celestialsailor Marine Electronics 91 20-05-2015 13:03
Drilling Hole In S/s Square Tube Weakening Tube? HueyHuey Construction, Maintenance & Refit 19 07-01-2013 17:30
Walker Bay 10 DIY Stabilizer Tube andrewm Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 64 09-02-2012 11:45
Navico Knot Meter Problem cburger Marine Electronics 3 15-06-2009 03:19
GPS vs Knot Meter Celestialsailor Marine Electronics 21 27-11-2008 18:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.