Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2012, 17:27   #121
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
I think I can hear of very few navigation related blunders today. It seems most of us press the button on the AP and we do get to the other side at least as often as the rarefied navigator breed does.
Here's another one where the ship had all the mod cons and a full professional crew.

It

By the way, just for kicks Google "death by GPS."
__________________

__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 19:02   #122
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Here's another one where the ship had all the mod cons and a full professional crew.
You had to go back to 1995 for that.

It's nearly 20 years! 20 years!!!
__________________

__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 19:12   #123
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
You had to go back to 1995 for that.

It's nearly 20 years! 20 years!!!
What difference does that make? Still a navigation blunder using electronics. I don't maintain an encyclopedic list of every GPS-aided blunder--the ones cited were just two that I happened to remember. Like I wrote previously, if you don't know what you're doing, electronics or not, it will catch up to you sooner or later.
__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 19:30   #124
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
What difference does that make? Still a navigation blunder using electronics. I don't maintain an encyclopedic list of every GPS-aided blunder--the ones cited were just two that I happened to remember. Like I wrote previously, if you don't know what you're doing, electronics or not, it will catch up to you sooner or later.
That's BS. Anyone that uses paper to navigate should be locked up away from the water. Fine to use paper to have a look at the world if they want, but not navigate whilst at sea.
You had to go back 20 years because nav accidents don't happen often anymore.
In the paper chart times people were dying all over the place.
The thing that irritates me most is that those that claim paper to be safe are the ones being dangerous in their advice.
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 20:34   #125
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
That's BS. Anyone that uses paper to navigate should be locked up away from the water. Fine to use paper to have a look at the world if they want, but not navigate whilst at sea.
You had to go back 20 years because nav accidents don't happen often anymore.
In the paper chart times people were dying all over the place.
The thing that irritates me most is that those that claim paper to be safe are the ones being dangerous in their advice.
Dangerous advise. Clearly not advise from a professional sailor.

I recall a recent (about 2 yrs ago) event where two well known Sydney sailors lives were lost on an overnight race out of Sydney.

Thats not to deride your personal abilities nor to say current day eletronics aren't fantastic aids to navigation.

Cheers
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 23:48   #126
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,198
Images: 52
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Dangerous advise. Clearly not advise from a professional sailor.

I recall a recent (about 2 yrs ago) event where two well known Sydney sailors lives were lost on an overnight race out of Sydney.

Thats not to deride your personal abilities nor to say current day eletronics aren't fantastic aids to navigation.

Cheers


The navigation school I attended strongly emphasized the need to keep a DR position on a paper chart at all times regardless of other methods of navigation. It is basic safety and navigation 101, and it promotes awareness and hones basic skills aside from its utility as a backup. Definitely terrible advice.

The recent event, much discussed here on CF, wherein a boat ran aground on Coronado Island, was determined to have been a result of too much reliance on autopilot and chart plotter combined with poor watch keeping. Four dead, just recently. One might argue that the Low Speed Chase incident may have had elements of this as well.
__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 00:15   #127
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
The navigation school I attended strongly emphasized the need to keep a DR position on a paper chart at all times regardless of other methods of navigation. It is basic safety and navigation 101, and it promotes awareness and hones basic skills aside from its utility as a backup. Definitely terrible advice.

The recent event, much discussed here on CF, wherein a boat ran aground on Coronado Island, was determined to have been a result of too much reliance on autopilot and chart plotter combined with poor watch keeping. Four dead, just recently. One might argue that the Low Speed Chase incident may have had elements of this as well.
Yes Minaret

Most of the modern boaters never get to a boating/navigation school as such. Buy that plotter & she will be sweet.
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 03:13   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Yep. Just one example.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 03:21   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Honda point is pre-GPS. Possibly avoidable today.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 03:25   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Couldn't agree more.
Not with the 'idiot' part though?

Opinions and attitudes, great we have the Internet to swap, hear others and adjust our views and actions accordingly!

Huh?

Love, flowers, beer&bear,
b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 06:28   #131
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

I think given MarkJs accomplishments calling him names is ridiculous, and knowing his posts he may be doing a bit of "winding up".

What I beleive he means is that you would be an idiot today to set sail without the aid of modern electronics and chart plotters. Thats doesn't mean you dont have paper charts as a backup ( this has been discussed to death in another thread).

The fact is what he is referring to is the accepted normal current practice,No boats I personally know, do not have some form of electronic position fixing and electronic charts, Most have more information then the cockpit of a 747. Paper is relegated to the role of backup and its good at that

While I do maintain a worked up paper chart, I would suggest that the minimum is to maintain a log of position, this allows a chart to be worked up if position fixing is lost.

I really dont understand the furore over GPS or chartplotter failure. The sun still rises where it always did and sets " over the other way", and rough lattitude can be determined by using the palm of your hand. The worlds land masses are conveniently located north south and hence you tend to eventually bump into something, by running down your latitude.

Then we have modern communications , so unless everything is fried on board ( which is a very very rare occurrence) , you can gets fixes from shipping, you can contact SARs, other radio stations etc when you get closer to land. The modern navigator has far more choices available to him then in the past. The march of technology will also add more choices and provide more backup. This argument in twenty years time , would look much like if I argued that everyone should be thought Lunars, to provide from time-less longitude determination. The world simply will never just "black out".

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 06:50   #132
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,305
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Like most threads, what appears to be the majority position based on posts doesn't match what the majority of people really think. See polls below.

For this thread if number of accidents being caused by people using GPS systems matched the real percentage of people using GPS the water would look like a crash site.

If you were able to collect data for how many problems were prevented by GPS systems it would make the number of accidents look like statistical noise!

Do You Have a Chartplotter?

Poll-Blue water. Is a Sextant Necessary?
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 06:56   #133
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Like most threads, what appears to be the majority position based on posts doesn't match what the majority of people really think. See polls below.

For this thread if number of accidents being caused by people using GPS systems matched the real percentage of people using GPS the water would look like a crash site.

If you were able to collect data for how many problems were prevented by GPS systems it would make the number of accidents look like statistical noise!

Do You Have a Chartplotter?

Poll-Blue water. Is a Sextant Necessary?
CF discussions are never bothered by relevant facts
Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 07:11   #134
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
You had to go back 20 years because nav accidents don't happen often anymore.
In the paper chart times people were dying all over the place.
Quoting yourself, "that's BS." Is the Aegean story not a nav accident? All I am saying is that you still have to navigate, using electronics or not, and paper charts and traditional plotting techniques are important, even if you are using all the electronics in the world, for those who want to truly be safe. Cheers.
__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 07:19   #135
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Distinct Activities: Shackled by a Common Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Quoting yourself, "that's BS." Is the Aegean story not a nav accident? All I am saying is that you still have to navigate, using electronics or not, and paper charts and traditional plotting techniques are important, even if you are using all the electronics in the world, for those who want to truly be safe. Cheers.
I think one must be very careful in making leaps of assumption. ie that modern navigational failures are a result of modern navigation methods.. Most are a result of time honoured mistakes, such as inattention, or bad decision making.

Paper charts remain "important" but only up to a certain point, Plotting on charts does not remove "mistakes" and many boats have been lost using "traditional " methods ( in fact probably many more then with modern methods).

I can be unsafe with paper charts, I can be unsafe with all the toys AND paper plotting. Mistakes are mistakes. If for example I fail to use the Mark I eyeball, no paper chart in the world will save me.

This debate is not about GPS/Chartplotters versus paper, its about poor navigators versus good ones. I'd prefer an experienced and knowledgeable navigator on board with only GPS and chart plotter, then a inexperience and foolish one with all the back gear in the world.

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.