Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2011, 21:18   #1

Boat: csy 37
Distance Between Two Points by Lat/Lon

seems to me there is a way of calculating distances between two points if their lat/lon is known. or maybe a table to look up. anyone know about this??
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 21:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: distance between two points by lat/lon

Don't know about a table but the formula requires spherical trigonometry unless there's a short cut I don't know about.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 21:46   #3

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

You can use either Plain sailing or meridian sailing to determine the course and distance between two points. And if you have Transverse tables you can use those also.
I use both plain and meridian sailing. I use a good Sci. caculator to speed the process of doing the math.

And if you are going from one side of an Ocean to the other side you may want to do great circle sailings.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 21:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: distance between two points by lat/lon

I find a simple chart and dividers quite effective for this... its called basic navigation...
Don't leave home without it...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 22:03   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I find a simple chart and dividers quite effective for this... its called basic navigation...
Don't you bang them into the GPS and it spits out the distance for you, heck, it evens tells you how to get there - no need for any darn navigation...
Don't leave home without it....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 23:24   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
seems to me there is a way of calculating distances between two points if their lat/lon is known. or maybe a table to look up. anyone know about this??
dist = 60 x arc-cos[(sinLATi x sinLATf) + (cosLATi x cosLATf) x cos(LONi - LONf)]

West and South Lat and Lon are negative.

From 'Long Distance Cruising' by Bobby Schenk, pg 230.

Or you can look up the distances between ports in NGA Pub #151 downloadable at NGA Publications - Distances Between Ports.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 23:27   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
You're on a roll tonight Boatman, first you pick on Rattleshirt because he's thinking about getting a wooden boat for offshore, now you are picking on Onestep because he wants to know some math.

Dividers and chart only work over short distances, say 100-200nm before projection errors start to become noticable. At several thousand miles the projection errors become pretty significant.
Old 17-04-2011, 03:47   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Distance Between Two Points by Lat/Lon

I like the idea of knowing the math, Adelie. One could program that formula into an Excel spreadsheet. Also, doing a Google search on "great circle distance calculator" produces a wealth of free online calculators, e.g. MarineWaypoints.com - Great Circle Distance Calculator Your comment about the chart and dividers is correct, of course. No competent navigator would use that technique for anything but coastal short hops.
Old 17-04-2011, 04:03   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

Go to the NGA site....all kinds of nautical calculators:

Maritime Safety Information
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 05:39   #10
Eternal Member

Google "Mercator Sailing". You'll find lots of online calculators to solve the problem of distance and course.

If the distance is very long, another calculation is useful: Great Circle Distance. This, e.g., is the way radio waves travel and ships and airplanes navigate across oceans to save fuel.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 06:00   #11

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Adelie gave you the answer to Great Circle distance in post #6. For a rhumb line, the distance is the difference in Latitude x secant of the course.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 06:25   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: distance between two points by lat/lon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
You're on a roll tonight Boatman, first you pick on Rattleshirt because he's thinking about getting a wooden boat for offshore, now you are picking on Onestep because he wants to know some math.

Dividers and chart only work over short distances, say 100-200nm before projection errors start to become noticable. At several thousand miles the projection errors become pretty significant.
Not picking on Rattleshirt... if you look at the thread I gave him a composite wooden boat recommendation... its just the thought of someone crossing the Atlantic in an Optimist made me giggle...
And as for the distance question... thats how I do a rough measure of distance... its quicker than punching the info into my H/H GPS...
But then over distances of several thousand miles accuracy of the kind you appear to require is fairly meaningless to me as the varying conditions will increase/decrease the actual miles covered...
But each to their own toy...
I'm happy in my inaccurate world... it works just fine for me
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 13:30   #13

Quote:
Not picking on Rattleshirt... if you look at the thread I gave him a composite wooden boat recommendation... its just the thought of someone crossing the Atlantic in an Optimist made me giggle...
And as for the distance question... thats how I do a rough measure of distance... its quicker than punching the info into my H/H GPS...
But then over distances of several thousand miles accuracy of the kind you appear to require is fairly meaningless to me as the varying conditions will increase/decrease the actual miles covered...
But each to their own toy...
I'm happy in my inaccurate world... it works just fine for me
I can see how the image of sailing the Atlantic in an Optimist would be absurdly funny. And, although the elements are in the thread, I don't see anything that would make that image automatically pop right out. Without context or explaination in your post it really appeared that you were poking fun of him for his dream or me for saying that wood construction generally requires more maintenance.

As for this thread chart and dividers are the obvious way to do a rough calc. Given the sarcasm of your answer

Quote:
... its called basic navigation...
it seemed you were belittling him/her for not knowing that one could do the estimate that way, or that they didn't know how to do basic navigation or for not knowing what an appropriate level of accuracy was or all of the above.
Old 17-04-2011, 14:53   #14

Boat: 29'

Quote:
http://www.usps.org/eddept/n/files/Navtra3.zip

this works for GtCircle distance.Also solves the nav triangle...Other cool tools too....at
USPS Educational Department - Offshore Navigation Committee Tools
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 18:55   #15

Boat: csy 37

thanks happy seagull!

sometimes it's fun (but mostly it's not) to wade through the funny and/or well meaning replies to questions, but it's good to find someone who actually knows the answer and provides it in a no nonsense fashion.

i downloaded navtra3.zip and it works perfectly. it definitely merits an icon on my desktop. and yes, i know i can measure distances with dividers (been doing that since the 70's) but it's always nice to have an alternative....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote