Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-10-2009, 23:26   #16

Boat: Schock 35
Furuno Virtually all commercial boats in our area have Furunos on top. Consistently tests out best for radar. Check experience of friends getting units repaired. Furuno consistently better than Ray. If not Furuno I would go with Garmin especially if I did not need radar. If you do need radar then Furuno will not be any more expensive than the other major brands.

Old 15-10-2009, 00:24   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You are a lucky man David, I envy you. Don't tell me you have a Furuno display with that or another 19" monster or something because that will cost you a lot of rum & cokes to calm me down ;-)

Now that I think of it.... I actually can afford it and I might be able to install some fans to get temperature under control in a space where that black box might fit... hmmm...

What radar scanner do you have David? And do you have other NN3D components?

cheers,
Nick.
Hi Nick,
I installed the MFD-BB in a small cabinet with a 12 volt thermostatically controlled computer fan that keeps the temperature down very well. Thermaltakeusa*»*DC Fan*»*120mm Fans*»*Smart Case Fan II 120mm : Smart Case Fan II 120mm A2029. I also have another computer in there which run Nobeltec. I have a KVM switch so I can switch one of the two monitors between the Nobeltc image or the Furuno image. It depends on what I am doing. I went with the 1 meter open array antenna. The radar has two sweep speeds. When on lower ranges it rotates twice as fast.

I bought two commercial grade flush mounted, 1280x768, 17 inch monitors w/DVI connectors that mount side by side at the steering console. (Looks like I dont owe you any rum & Cokes, but I will buy you a beer anyways. ) The monitors are inside so it did not need to be waterproof. The controller sits above in the brow above the steering station. The MFD-BB is also mouse and keyboard driven so I bought a small keyboard and mouse and have it to the right of the helm chair.

One drawback of the Furuno ARPA is that when it is in its auto acquire mode that it acquires contacts on land. Which means when inland, it quickly gets overwhelmed with contacts rendering it useless when inside a place like the SF Bay. If I am curious about a contact I can always manually acquire it though.

I purchased Furuno's fluxgate and transducer for the system. I also bought an Airmar ultrasonic speed sensor that measures velocity through the water which integrates with a second black box into Furuno's MFD-BB. AIRMAR Electronic Catalog It's pretty darn accurate until the boat gets up to planing speeds, but I never need it at those speeds anyways. Scientists sometimes need to know how fast their sampling gear and instruments are being towed through the water.

I bought the Furuno FA-150 AIS transceiver but have not installed it yet. I am using a Miltech Marine AIS receiver for now.

I did not purchase the Furuno autopilot. The Comnav 1001 I have now integrated with Nobeltec works fine. For laying out track lines and other features, I think that Nobeltec is easier and certainly quicker. Nobeltecs digital charts are also much closer to original NOAA charts, which I prefer over Furuno's digital charts. Furuno's charts seem like an afterthought..as if they did not want to put any money into making some really good charts.

For wind velocity and speed I am using a MH Young meteorological station. I'm not going to integrate that into the Furuno system. Its data goes to the other computers onboard used by the scientists.

Once I got the system tweaked with quite a number of calls to Furuno's customer support, the system has run quite well. I have to say that Furuno's customer support is the best ever, compared to anyone's customer support.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 01:08   #18
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
David,

Great setup. If you have the DRS4A scanner, it actually has three speeds: 24, 36 & 48 rpm. This is the scanner that I would like to put on the forward side of my mizzen mast at the first spreaders. The mounting bracket or better the lack of it is the problem.

ARPA: yes, we have only used it off shore but I think you can create a guard zone on one side if you are sailing along a coast.

About the LCD monitors: two times 17 is bigger than a single 19" which leads to plenty rum & cokes in my book ;-) But don't worry, it'll take us a while to get to SF ha ha.

Ah, a class-A AIS. That's what we have now but it was never approved and thus considered illegal now. I'll settle for class B.

Charts: the Furuno raster charts are the same as the NOAA charts, aren't they? I think you have the vector charts instead and yes they need some getting used to. I have mostly used C-Map which is vector so it's fine for me.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 16-10-2009, 21:43   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Hey Nick,
Send me a PM when you get here. Yes the Furuno raster scan charts are of NOAA charts. I did not know that about the triple speed sweep. I will have to check which one I have. Would anyone know you are using an illegal class A AIS transceiver if you were to use it? Your right about the ARPA guard zone, you can move it anywhere and to whatever shape you want. I wish Furuno had built a filter into the ARPA where it ignores contacts on land. If they can do a chart/radar/ARPA overlay, they certainly could have done that.

Well ok...you win...I will bring the rum and Cokes.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 22:57   #20
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, I went ahead and downloaded and installed the free N2KBuilder software from Maretron. After some false starts I read the manual and studied the examples they let you design in the manual and all was clear.

The big point is that if you build a N2K network in you boat, you should first design it with this software for each and every device you can dream of. The software will calculate all cable-length conformance, max. power draw and voltage drops. This way, you can start building this network without the need for later changes to accommodate new devices.

It's a big job as you have to decide on the spot of each device and how to run a cable there. If you can't get the plug of a cable through holes/conduits, you have to select separate cable+plugs instead of pre-assembled cables. They even have special single-ended cables with one as-small-as-possible-diameter plug which fits inside the 1" pipe that you mount GPS and wind-sensors on.

The funny thing is that I first didn't care much about those switch indicator, temperature and run-modules but as you check them out while designing you get all enthusiastic about them: exhaust-gas sensors (and thus alarms), fire/smoke/propane/high-water-bilge sensors are all possible without wiring to vendor specific panels. It's gonna cost me ;-)

But anyway, I attached my diagram and description. Shoot! ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jedi.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	10545  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jedi Design.pdf (19.3 KB, 258 views)
Old 16-10-2009, 23:08   #21
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

About the contents of the design description (pdf file) I attached in the previous post: I specified the source voltage for the system as 10.5V which is an empty 12V battery. Even with a voltage that low, the sensors at both ends of the network still get enough voltage (> 9 V). I can get away with that with the "Mid" cable in the backbone and micro to the devices, nice.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 17-10-2009, 01:03   #22

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Boy.... trying to follow you guys is making my head hurt...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 00:13   #23
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Garmin VHF

While still researching components, I took a closer look at the Garmin 200 VHF. It was a disappointment. There are two versions, the 200 and the 200i. The 200 is for US waters only and the 200i for outside US waters only.

It has been long ago that I encountered a radio that can't be switched between US and international.

This radio is only useful for sailors who never sail outside US waters or sailors that only sail outside US waters but those get into trouble in places like the Bahama's and the Caribbean too (where US channels are much in use).

So, the Garmin VHF 200 is off the list now. The manual for the 300 isn't on-line yet but I see the same 300 & 300i appearing so it'll be the same thing I guess.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 18-10-2009, 00:27   #24

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Nick..your schematic shows your GPS antena on the bow or the mast head one or the other.. I thought you were going Bimini top with it.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 09:25   #25
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Nick..your schematic shows your GPS antena on the bow or the mast head one or the other.. I thought you were going Bimini top with it.
The device upper right is at the masthead. It sure looks like a GPS but it is the Maretron WSO100 wind & weather sensor (see the PDF for a description). It is an ultrasonic instrument without moving parts and does wind speed & direction, air temperature, barometric pressure & relative humidity. All that at half the price of the B&G instrument it is replacing. It'll be a bit less precise for wind than the B&G but more than good enough for cruising.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 24-11-2009, 07:18   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE
Quote:
... But I am very interrested in the Airmar GH2183 !! ... My Simrad pilot has the Maretron SSC200 sensor....

ciao!
Nick.
Nick:

Looking at a Furuno / Simrad / Maretron / Airmar setup also, so it was great to find your thread.

re: the GH2183, if you were able to locate one, would it not replace the Simrad SC200 heading sensor?

Thanks for the N2K Builder drawings . Would you consider sharing the actual file up on the Panbo N2K Builder Designs forum?
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 08:41   #27

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Nick, have you looked into the broadband units? I think the Navico unit is being handled by Lowrance, Northstar, and Simrad. Looks to have better close-in resolution than HD (2nd link). If you've seen this, never mind then.
Navico revolutionary Broadband Radar development progressing as planned | Navico
See the Broadband Radar™
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 07:45   #28
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

@arisatx: I plan to have two compass units so one in addition to the Simrad. I can already use the Simrad one for other than AP but it is a RobNet unit and I need the AP to gateway that onto N2K. So I'm looking at a native N2K compass.
I am not a member of the Panbo forum.... I will write about this (in English ;-) on my own blog (s/v Jedi) and include everything there. I'm still makingmany changes to the design so it will take a little time. You can get a feed off my blog to keep an eye on it (or am I the only one who understands feeds? ;-)

@Fish: I truly do not understand why everyone is so enthusiastic about broadband radar. It must be because it's a new thing for low-end consumer radar. These units only make sense as your 2nd, short-range radar unit. I seldom see sailboats with the dual radar setup, but most motor boats do that. It's not suited for a single-radar equipped off shore sailboat (but great if you sail the Chesapeake every weekend!)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 25-11-2009, 08:10   #29

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
A compass, depth sounder and some charts.
Old 25-11-2009, 08:37   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE
Quote:
@arisatx: I plan to have two compass units so one in addition to the Simrad. I can already use the Simrad one for other than AP but it is a RobNet unit and I need the AP to gateway that onto N2K. So I'm looking at a native N2K compass.
Yup, makes sense.

Quote:
I am not a member of the Panbo forum.... I will write about this (in English ;-) on my own blog (s/v Jedi) and include everything there. I'm still makingmany changes to the design so it will take a little time. You can get a feed off my blog to keep an eye on it (or am I the only one who understands feeds? ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
Bedankt, will do. Look forward to seeing your design evolve.
BTW, great blog (although my Dutch is severely lacking).

V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: