Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2012, 16:48   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Darwin to Nongsa Pt (Indonesia)

Back into the build getting it to motor away stage for finishing in Thailand, so nutting out some routes, fuel stops and miles.

Indonesia will be my main concern given possibly ill conceived conceptions of officialdom and clambering hoards so I wanted to get through there as quickly and painlessly as possible.

If doing a delivery leaving Darwin wanting the least wind what would be the best time of year and best route to do the fastest, least painful trip ?

I have knocked up this map showing distances and proposed anchorage and fuel stops from Darwin To Nongsa Pt Marina (Indonesia) on what I would think would be the easiest and possibly fastest route, click on lines and symbols for information.

This map shows some other versions
Delivery and cruising details from Brisbane to Asia
The pale blue line is proposed route
The red line is the route used for the sail Indonesia rally.

Are some of these legs through Indonesian waters (300 to 400nm, 30 to 40 hours) too long bearing in mind that we will be powering at 9 knots with only 2 on board?
Once several miles offshore are small boats and fish traps really likely to be that much of an issue?
Old 15-03-2012, 17:15   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Darwin to Nongsa Pt (Indonesia)

The red line didnt show up..
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 17:19   #3

In the second map?
It was there a second ago.
Old 15-03-2012, 17:35   #4

Ahh.. sorry the Meds are wearing off.

Do you have space on board for extra crew. You could easily grab a back packer out of Darwin and drop them in Bali. Then Swap them for a backpacker in Bali who you drop at singapore. That will cover all the longer logs.

They are wonderful resources, eager to learn, adventurous, cheap to feed and almost human sometimes. My thought process is that you don't really need crew, per say. Just another pair of eyes to allow you some decent sleep at times.

One question.. What happens once you get to Phuket? Selling the boat or staying put? Or returning? Ok, thats three questions.
Old 15-03-2012, 18:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Do you have space on board for extra crew. You could easily grab a back packer out of Darwin and drop them in Bali.
My thought process is that you don't really need crew, per say. Just another pair of eyes to allow you some decent sleep at times.
I have taken on and been on deliveries with non-boaty types on passages before.
I have found them asleep when supposed to be on watch
I had had them lose the plot when 2 days out, the same guy was also a fiddler, pushing buttons and twirling knobs for no reason.
I had one who must have expected it to be like a cruise ship as he seemed disappointed that he was actually expected to do stuff.
And on one trip, Aus. customs found the "traveller" had dope on him as we checked out .
No big deal in Australia but that is not the sort of risk I need nor want to take especially going to Asia.

Quote:
One question.. What happens once you get to Phuket? Selling the boat or staying put? Or returning? Ok, thats three questions.
Boat out at PSS Satun or Ratanachai to get finished.
Cruising a loop between Thailand and Philippines hoping for Vietnam to open up to complete the circle.
Yearly visits to Oz if I must by air.
Old 15-03-2012, 19:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sounds like a great plan,and easily doable,though at 9 knots you will have to keep a very good visual watch,and not rely on radar off the coasts of indo upto 30 miles offshore.
most of the vessels are small,wooden and don't show up on the radar .
inshore, fish traps are a night mare and very extensive and mostly uncharted.
then you have the oil rigs offshore in some areas.

seriously reccomend that you rethink having at least 3 crewmembers that can keep a proper visual watch on the indo malaysia leg.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 20:18   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie and I have covered a lot of water at 8/9 KNs, but I agree with atoll on this one the waters your running thru are loaded with small traffic, and floating obstructions, and if night running is required, at least 3 watch standers are really needed, and 4 would be better at least thats way someone can cook and ya eat better !! just my 2 cents
Old 15-03-2012, 20:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I have taken on and been on deliveries with non-boaty types on passages before.
I have found them asleep when supposed to be on watch
I had had them lose the plot when 2 days out, the same guy was also a fiddler, pushing buttons and twirling knobs for no reason.
I had one who must have expected it to be like a cruise ship as he seemed disappointed that he was actually expected to do stuff.
And on one trip, Aus. customs found the "traveller" had dope on him as we checked out .
No big deal in Australia but that is not the sort of risk I need nor want to take especially going to Asia.

Boat out at PSS Satun or Ratanachai to get finished.
Cruising a loop between Thailand and Philippines hoping for Vietnam to open up to complete the circle.
Yearly visits to Oz if I must by air.

Fair enough. My experience with them has been positive. Understand not wanting to risk a pot smoker in asia too. Scary thought!

Had a very interesting drive from Krabi to Satun just recently. Probably the scariest of my life. Watch the taxi drivers!!
Old 15-03-2012, 20:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Connie and I have covered a lot of water at 8/9 KNs, but I agree with atoll on this one the waters your running thru are loaded with small traffic, and floating obstructions, and if night running is required, at least 3 watch standers are really needed, and 4 would be better
Honestly I would prefer not to run at night through these areas but I also dont want to be anchoring every night in suspect areas running the risk of unwanted "visitors".

Looking at the routes I am hoping for suggestions on quiet spots to drop anchor with no shore visit or "visitors" , before up we anchor and off in the morning.

Quote:
at least thats way someone can cook and ya eat better !! just my 2 cents
The financier and I are both more than adequate cooks so no issues there
Old 15-03-2012, 20:56   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Running those waters your better off to run nights if ya can ! not to many folks can tell ya where to anchor safely these days 20 yrs ago when Connie and I made this run you could stop most anywhere and be welcome ! I understand it's not that way anymore ??
Old 15-03-2012, 21:22   #11

I've been pulling info from these blogs

sailing along: KALABAHI,ALOR to LEWOLEBA,LEMBATA(LOMBLEN) 7-8 aug,2011WHITE KING

larantuka | THOR

Mico Verde Yacht Sailing Blog Journals: Indonesia Riung

Some have maps and tracks such as
Cruising Indonesia
Old 15-03-2012, 22:09   #12

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

If you want actual tracks go to Circumnavigation Group at Circumnavigation : Circumnavigation & Ocean Crossing

You will find the tracks in the FILES section. One of the Darwin - Singapore tracks is from our boat, BeBe, made in Aug 2009. Looking closely at the tracks you will notice small diversions...these were to avoid fishing boats or rafts.

Keep a good watch at night because of all of the fishing boats...some not lit...AND...the rafts which are wood or bamboo rafts set by fishermen to attract fish...most are anchored, but some are floating free. Most are marked with a palm frond. At a distance the lighted squid fishing boats are so well lit that you will think they are an oil platform.

We sailed Darwin to Bali with a stop half-way at Ashmore reef...quite nice. You will find AU Customs and Immigration at the reef...they were very courteous.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 23:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Thanks and tried but it wouldn't let me access
Joined and it still wouldn't let me access

Quote:
We sailed Darwin to Bali with a stop half-way at Ashmore reef...quite nice. You will find AU Customs and Immigration at the reef...they were very courteous.
Hmm, that is an alternative and I have the range.
Time of year and sea state?
Old 19-03-2012, 04:04   #14

cat man do

sent you a PM...you did not join the circumnavigation group, that is the reason it is not allowing you access.

Bill
Old 19-03-2012, 04:09   #15

cat man do

Here are links to our website regarding AU - Indonesia:

S/V BeBe: Indonesia

S/V BeBe: Australia

Bill

Tags