Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-08-2010, 13:10   #61
cruiser

Quote:
...but you are just wrong.
Get in line behind my wife on that statement...

I honestly do understand the potential for a magnetic field causing the creation of current as it passes across a wire. But I just don't believe that it raises to even an uncommon event in destroying a completely disconnected device.

I've seen reports about "knowing some guy" who lost his cell phone...or handheld GPS. It's quite rare to get a first person example of a completely disconnected device getting fried. Yes, I've read some but again, I don't believe that they were completely disconnected.

Think about this. There are currently about 3 million people walking around with pacemakers and about 600,000 new ones being implanted each year. I searched hard to find a case where a pacemaker failed due to an induced field in a lightning strike. Direct strike, sure, but we know that a direct strike is deadly and will blow apart even non-conductive materials. I couldn't find any example of a pacemaker electronics failure. And that's a little more critical than whether my iPod stops playing music. I additionally looked for FDA warnings about pacemakers and lightening. Nothing. Interestingly, there is a warning of not having a pacemaker within 9 feet of a Wii console. Are there more Wii's than lightning strikes?

It's really OK if I don't believe that this is something to worry about. We all have to assess the risks we're willing to take and accept them or mitigate them. This is just one that I think is silly and not worth the effort of time or money.

Old 01-08-2010, 13:22   #62

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb79 View Post
i'd been told that a strike will send out a powerful enough pulse to fry everything - even if it's not plugged in to anything. not true?

i'd love to be wrong on that count, as i could see us going the ipad route also if there's really no worries about a failure.

seems like your ipad could fall overboard or get wet too though
Use your microwave oven during a lightning storm. It'll function as a primitive Faraday cage and safeguard your electronics (at least the portable ones).

Old 01-08-2010, 14:41   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post

I honestly do understand the potential for a magnetic field causing the creation of current as it passes across a wire. But I just don't believe that it raises to even an uncommon event in destroying a completely disconnected device.

I've seen reports about "knowing some guy" who lost his cell phone...or handheld GPS. It's quite rare to get a first person example of a completely disconnected device getting fried. Yes, I've read some but again, I don't believe that they were completely disconnected.

Think about this. There are currently about 3 million people walking around with pacemakers and about 600,000 new ones being implanted each year. I searched hard to find a case where a pacemaker failed due to an induced field in a lightning strike. Direct strike, sure, but we know that a direct strike is deadly and will blow apart even non-conductive materials. I couldn't find any example of a pacemaker electronics failure. And that's a little more critical than whether my iPod stops playing music. I additionally looked for FDA warnings about pacemakers and lightening. Nothing. Interestingly, there is a warning of not having a pacemaker within 9 feet of a Wii console. Are there more Wii's than lightning strikes?

It's really OK if I don't believe that this is something to worry about. We all have to assess the risks we're willing to take and accept them or mitigate them. This is just one that I think is silly and not worth the effort of time or money.
I understand about it being uncommon and having to assess risk and all but to believe it is not possible and does not happen, well I am just sorry about that.

To compare electronics inside a body and inside a boat is pretty far out there.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:02   #64
Marine Service Provider

Problem solved! At least for now.

Amazon + Ebay = cheap used charts.
Storage under the settee (that I completely forgot about) will fit the overflow. Or may just throw all of them there, since you really only need 1 at a time, and put things that I'd want faster access to in the nav station drawer.
Old 15-08-2010, 09:05   #65

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
I enjoy reading paper charts, maybe I'm weird, but I just don't enjoy read electronic charts or books.
Tom
Old 17-03-2011, 16:43   #66

Re: Damn Paper Charts . . . I Hate Paper Charts !

All well and good, but when my engine stopped my laptop plotter, the spare laptop and USB Gps, autopilot, depth sounder, and god knows what else went of after about 6 hours let this be a lesson on relying on one system alone.
Old 17-03-2011, 17:02   #67
cruiser

Who's using one system? Multiple phones, pads, laptops (4), with battery backup to keep them going for a few weeks.

If the entire GPS system fails and every satellite falls out of the sky, all of my navigation products will still all show current charts. But of course, if the GPS system is working normally, my old paper charts had little chance of showing me exactly where I was without manual, error-prone, effort. Even then, that manual fix would be done on older charts because, let's face it, no one keeps their paper charts up-to-date.
Old 17-03-2011, 17:10   #68
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Damn Paper Charts . . . I Hate Paper Charts !

WOW..... I never realised those little data chips with charts for CP's are self updating.... amazing technology today...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 17:22   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
WOW..... I never realised those little data chips with charts for CP's are self updating.... amazing technology today...
Depends on the chartplotter. Most of my electronic charts are just a couple of months old. It can be done.

How old are your paper charts?
Old 17-03-2011, 17:25   #70

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Depends on the chartplotter. Most of my electronic charts are just a couple of months old. It can be done.

How old are your paper charts?
How longs a piece of string....
1972 - 2009

Born To Be Wild
Old 18-03-2011, 01:34   #71

My local paper charts are dated about 1969 deviation or is it variation is about 1 degrees out LOL.
I buy 1 new north Atlantic chart just before I go across the pond, my engine a Yanmar 4 cyl is reliable with many spares for long runs. Also, I also have a very small air-cooled diesel 12v generator on aft deck as emergency back up (I usually run this daily to save fuel) as I tend to rely a lot on a 12v supply
My laptops are all same model toughbooks bought of ebay about 70 each, USB Gps sirf111 also ebay 20. I multi metered laptop consumption it was roughly 2 amp so battery lasts about 12 to 15 hours with other items on as well. I also carry a Garmin 72 and a dozen spare batteries in my grab bag. My electronic charts are about 4 years old.
Old 18-03-2011, 03:09   #72

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Paper is OUT.
no more.

updated in chartplotter, I-Pad, Mac, Pc, need no more paper.
We are moving forword.
Old 18-03-2011, 05:40   #73

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic

Paper charts are like a spare tire. I just retired from 44 years of logging on the coast of British Columbia. Thirty years ago I carried two spares for my pickup, and there were many days when I used them both. Last year I had one flat tire. But still wouldn't dream of going without a spare.

Love my gps, but wouldn't dream of leaving horbour without my charts.

And it's great fun to gather around a chart in the evening and plan next days trip, loking at the route and anchorage options - gps not condusive to that.
Old 18-03-2011, 06:26   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytownboy View Post
And it's great fun to gather around a chart in the evening and plan next days trip, loking at the route and anchorage options - gps not condusive to that.
Perhaps you have a different type of GPS. The new iPad types of devices are great at sharing routes and looking around, planning with others. And it can easily have 2,000 charts loaded.

It's also quite easy to plan the next day's or afternoon's route with the phone in your pocket when you're at a restaurant or waiting for your wife to try on that one last dress in the local shop. That same phone will provide weather predictions, sea state, communication with friends, and can easily show you every other route you've been on recently. And while you can find a possible anchorage on your paper charts, your electronic gizmos will tell you what the last 10 people experienced there along with suggestions about what is in the area.

None of that is practical, if even possible, with paper.
Old 18-03-2011, 06:33   #75

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Perhaps you have a different type of GPS. The new iPad types of devices are great at sharing routes and looking around, planning with others. And it can easily have 2,000 charts loaded.

It's also quite easy to plan the next day's or afternoon's route with the phone in your pocket when you're at a restaurant or waiting for your wife to try on that one last dress in the local shop. That same phone will provide weather predictions, sea state, communication with friends, and can easily show you every other route you've been on recently. And while you can find a possible anchorage on your paper charts, your electronic gizmos will tell you what the last 10 people experienced there along with suggestions about what is in the area.

None of that is practical, if even possible, with paper.
Jesus Christ... they're bringing shore side boredom to sailing....
zero risk 100% supervised just around the corner... roll on Armageddon....
time to buy a horse and do the Marco Polo Trail.............
What next.. the Volvo Guide to Safe Anchorages... and how to wipe your butt..??

Born To Be Wild

Tags
charts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: