lines can sometimes be harder than it seems, although everything appears to be ready....it is not. You can prep the crew, go over your charts
, do your drills, check the sails
, do all maintanence, but for some reason you just can't make the boat cooperate! In Jan of "06" a friend and I had the idea to purchase
a blue water
boat, although in the past few days we have read a thread on this form about a Morgan
being a blue water
boat or coastal cruiser. I have pretty much decided our Morgan
just wants to stay tied to the dock
. After the intial purchase
in St. Pete, FL. We had the boat hauled, new bottom, main restepped, transmission
rebuilt. Genset went bad ordered a new panel. Fresh water pumps replaced, belts replaced, and splashed back in. At first Ragdoll
seemed real happy with the makeover she just had. So we planned our crossing from St. Pete to Galveston, TX. When we arrived in St. Pete and started provisioning
for the crossing, we went through our list thoroughly for anything that could happen, so we thought. Aprox. 50 miles out of Tampa Bay we blew a trainy seal, thinking that things could not get worse the one thing we did not provision on the boat was transmission
fluid.....after assessing the situation, and throghing a few tools, my wife said "it's a sail boat." I thought to myself she was right what is the big deal.....I closed the engine
compartment doors and went back up into the cockpit
, while sitting there I thought my wife was making sense, we could sail to Galveston...Ploblem solved
RIGHT? WRONG! 50 miles out into the gulf the water was like glass, not a puff of wind
anywhere and then out of the blue we had WIND
, but it came out of the other direction which backed our headsail onto the spreader causing a fairly large tear in the headsail...So i sat there and tried to figure our best plan of action. With only two quarts of transmission fluid we had found on the boat from the previous owners, I ask myself "What would Bob Bitchen do?" The only thing that came to mind was "What the hell was I thinking." We decided to turn the boat around and head
back to St. Pete, where we made arrangments to have the headsail repaired, the transmission seal fixed.
Now we are planning to set sail again a week from now on the 27th of Sept. We plan to go coastal on this trip instead of a direct crossing. The boat is a very sound vessel, more than capable of making a straight crossing....IF she wants to.....But Ragdoll
has been sitting in a mooring
for a very long time, and we feel that a coastal cruise
may be a little rougher, but without knowing the mechanical problems that she may have, we think it best in case we need to pull in someplace for repairs
We have spoken with several people on the forum about this crossing. We do not have a lot of blue water experience, about 50 miles to be exact. But we do have sailing experience on inland lakes and have sailed for years "on inland lakes." Looking for tips to make this crossing, ICW
is not an option for the time it would take to do so.
Ant responses other than I am out of my mind would be appreciated......well maybe those to.
Do we go straight across or coastal??????