Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 16:37   #16

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45
Post Re: Crossing from the Keys to Bimini

I asked a similar question a couple of years ago and i have done it 3 times since from Marathon. One time to Rodriguez to South Riding rocks (straight out by the deepest path I saw across the reef on my plotter with plenty of space under my 5' 7" keel) once to No Name to Bimini and once direct to Chub with a overnight on the banks a few miles inside from Riding rocks. The last was far superior. We slept a few hours on the banks in reasonable conditions and got to Chub early to check in. You get to use the stream to your advantage as you slowly go across it diagonally to the cut. Get out into it as soon as reasonable. On our first crossing we got to the cut around dusk and did not go much past the rocks and had a rough night but on the other time at the S riding rocks cut we went in maybe 5 miles in the dark and anchored well off the direct line with a lantern in addition to an anchor light. It was great. I would not have a problem following the line over that section of the banks in the dark. I never saw anything I would steer around. Think about it, you could drag for miles and never hit anything or go aground in that area.
Spending the night on the banks is an experience especially if it is really calm since the water is so clear when you awake if in daylight.
Chub is not inexpensive but we spent a couple of days there to check in and let weather pass. It really is a nice place and if the wind is right you can simply anchor and continue on to Nassau without paying slip fees or the charge to land to check in.
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 18:17   #17

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA
Re: Crossing from the Keys to Bimini

I've anchored in Angelfish just off the main channel in a deep spot. A stern anchor is must with the reversing tide.

I've gone to Bimini, leaving from Haulover. I anchored just north of Big Game Marina. There's an open area there with decent water. The clearing officials were surprised that I wasn't easily boarded. They cleared me with no inspection.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 19:28   #18

I prefer anchoring in the lee of Rodriguez Key, weigh anchor ~4am, tiptoe across the reef, get into the stream and arrive in Bimini ~3pm at the latest with enough time to check-in with immigration. Wait for a good weather window.
OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 20:02   #19

As Group9 stated. We have left from "No Name" a couple times before dawn as the channel is deep with lighted channel markers which makes for a safe easy departure before dawn. steer just south of east, make adjustments along the way and arrive at Cat Cay early. The Garmin charts are spot on in the area. You can anchor out just northeast of the airport approach behind the reef protecting you from east winds. Garmin charts show the anchor insignia I believe as well ast the no anchor area due to the runway approach. We then left at 3:30 AM the next morning and had plenty of depth following the line on the Garmin chart. We have a 5 foot draft. Arrive mid afternoon at Chub. There you can anchor out if you want in a east wind clear of the channel which is well marked get a slip for the night and enjoy a relaxed night and a nice dinner. I heard Chub suffered a lot of damage from the Hurricane but I presume has reopened but may want to check for sure. If you clear in at Cat Cay or Chub you can skip Nassau all together and anchor in the west bay which is good holding and well protected from all but west wind. Then straight to Highborne cay as long as wind direction is not problematic. We motored once on a dead calm day and was the best day of the trip you could see everything on the bottom for 30 miles !

*Most important, no north wind on the day of crossing and
Once over to the Bahamas pay close attention to the current opposing the wind when transiting any of the cuts*

cgebluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 11:29   #20

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Quote:
wondering about anchoring on the bank and spending the night halfway or so from Bimini to Chub
We spent the night anchored just north of the shoal at the NW Channel light ( no light) and while it was a little weird anchoring just in the middle of open water, was safe and a quiet night. We then went NE in the Berry Islands, also a great place to check in, no fee to use the marina to check in.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 12:17   #21

I would leave at least at first light. Entering Bimini is easy in day light but I probably wouldnt do it at night.
No Name is popular, but it takes quite a long time to pick your way out of Biscayne bay in the dark as there are a lot of reefs, albeit well lighted generally. You likely need to leave in the dark from No Name.
If you keep moving well you should be ok for daylight. You will be motoring, pointed as much as 35 degrees off course initially for a couple hours due to the gulf stream.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 13:21   #22

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Outside of Angelfish creek is ok only in settled weather and as has been said inside the creek in May may require a transfusion. I always anchor at Pumpkin key on the back side of Key Largo. If you leave at first light you'll have plenty of light by the time you get to the bar which is well marked. All you need is enough light to see the markers. In May the sun will come up plenty early and you'll have no trouble making Bimini before dark at six knots. Pretty much head due east once you've cleared the reef and the stream will push you north to Bimini. The stream width and speed vary enough that one cannot count on any particular heading, but 090 at six knot will get you close and you can adjust the course as needed about 10 miles out of Bimini.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 07:11   #23
Marine Service Provider

Don't forget to check the Gulf Stream forecast:

https://www.passageweather.com/maps/...a/mappage2.htm

billreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 08:33   #24

There is an easy way to prepare for a first time in the dark departure from no-name (or anywhere really). Just go out in the middle of the day, a day or two before and record your track out into deep water. It feels pretty good in the dark to know you are just going where you have already been.
Old 19-04-2019, 09:59   #25

Boat: Hatteras 65' cruiser

If you're going to the Exumas why go around the block to get to the corner. Leave from Marathon, enter at Gun/Cat and after the NW light (extinguished) head down to Palm Cay Marina if needed. The Bahamas do not require check in where you enter, only where you go ashore for the first time. Try to enter their territory during daylight and follow reliable GPS way points. Piece of cake.
bigreelsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 14:53   #26

If you are always cruising under power, and your going to have constant engine roar anyway, why not just get a good sized powerboat?
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 11:55   #27

Boat: Leopard 38'

I have anchored twice just inside Angelfish Creek with no issues at all. The exit on the Atlantic side is narrow, but well marked. You can do it pre dawn. Angelfish Creek itself is comfortably wide. If in doubt take a dinghy ride night before or do a bread crumb trail on chart plotter to following evening prior. First time in at Bimini at 5 pm last time just before dark. If wind is out of east easy to pull up to beach on west side and anchor for the night.
hikersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 14:16   #28

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We have left out of Marathon and Rodriguez. Either route is fine.. pick a deep spot that doesn't pass through or over any obvious obstructions and head out to Bimini or Cat. First trip we left out of Rodriguez, over the banks, and checked into Chub.

However, next trip we will leave out of No Name and head to Cat, just to make the trip short.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini