Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2014, 05:31   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,778
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Cost of Refitting Navigation Electronics

ebay is your friend.
find what you think you want and buy it there. mebbe you dont like the instrument and want a different brand--you not spending 5000 usd on the item so you have lee way .
everyone sez go for new--ha ha ha you can do just fine with older stuff,. it aint like the world has changed--just the technology. big deal.
if you have the basic stuff you seek on the boat, upgrading is not as difficult.
of course, in this day and age of keeping up with joneses electronically, you may want to go to overpriced chandlery and pick out your favorite color and background and size unit...
.rodlmffao.
no, they dont come in purple or pink...

isnt that why " everyone" is writing to forums to ask what others are using????
personally, i kinda prefer my garmin 498. nice n old, cheap , and has everything i need. even ais if i can figger out nmea stuffies.....
keep shopping...

oh yes---tell tales-- you all buy garbage bags with ties?? i use the ties, split in half, tied to shrouds. works great.
__________________

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 05:31   #47
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,328
Re: Cost of Refitting Navigation Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I learnt with pieces of woolen yarn tied to the shrouds. (It was before compact cassette tapes )

Hell I have a newer boat (with electronics) and still don't have wind instruments on it and use the yarn on the stays, wind vane, wave height, boat heel and sail trim to determine the wind. I don't need no electronic wind instrument to tell if the wind is light or heavy.

I have a knotmeter, but got tired long ago of cleaning it so don't have it anymore.

The only instrument you really "need" (meaning it is definitely worth having enough to spend money on) is a depth gage.
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 06:20   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bradenton, FL
Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Posts: 88
Re: Cost of Refitting Navigation Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Hell I have a newer boat (with electronics) and still don't have wind instruments on it and use the yarn on the stays, wind vane, wave height, boat heel and sail trim to determine the wind. I don't need no electronic wind instrument to tell if the wind is light or heavy.

I have a knotmeter, but got tired long ago of cleaning it so don't have it anymore.

The only instrument you really "need" (meaning it is definitely worth having enough to spend money on) is a depth gage.

Yarn on the stays is exactly how I learned to sail. And doesn't the keel make an outstanding depth sounder? As in when you hear the sound of the keel hitting bottom you pretty much know your depth? ;-)


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird go sailing.
JTSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 07:19   #49
Registered User
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: www.USCGMaster.com
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 1,882
Re: Cost of Refitting Navigation Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
Yarn on the stays is exactly how I learned to sail. And doesn't the keel make an outstanding depth sounder? As in when you hear the sound of the keel hitting bottom you pretty much know your depth? ;-)


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Using the keel to measure depth is expensive and inaccurate.

Say you are zipping along south of Plover Key in Everglades National the boat is over about 10 degree as you glide along during high tide. By the time the keel hits the bottom along the poorly marked shoal, you are screwed.

Also the keel can be expensive to fix.

Even us cheapskates keep the depth gauge working

FWIW- Yarn is less effective when it is wet and there are times where there is no yarn.




Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 07:21   #50
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bradenton, FL
Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Posts: 88
Re: Cost of Refitting Navigation Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Using the keel to measure depth is expensive and inaccurate.

Say you are zipping along south of Plover Key in Everglades National the boat is over about 10 degree as you glide along during high tide. By the time the keel hits the bottom along the poorly marked shoal, you are screwed.

Also the keel can be expensive to fix.

Even us cheapskates keep the depth gauge working

FWIW- Yarn is less effective when it is wet and there are times where there is no yarn.




Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Hard to see how firmly my tongue was planted in my cheek on the internet.



Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird go sailing.
JTSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electronics, navigation, refit

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My navigation electronics upgrade Don1500 Marine Electronics 1 16-04-2014 19:48
Ideal Electronics / Navigation Package Wish List if You Were Renewing Lagoon4us Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 39 24-11-2012 22:39
410: Cost of Refitting ArtM Lagoon Catamarans 10 24-06-2012 10:26
Navigation Without Electronics Stuarth44 Navigation 46 28-07-2009 22:15
Cost of refitting with multiple other issues starfish62 Liveaboard's Forum 27 22-10-2007 19:47



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.