Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2014, 00:43   #1
cruiser

Correcting Charts

For all you guys who are navigators or officers, where did you learn to correct charts?

Technical school? Academy? Is there a class where they sit you down and say "This is a Local Notice To Mariners. This is a chart. To correct the chart, this is what you do."?

I just learned here that there's a difference between a discrepancy and a correction, and Bowditch says corrections should be made in pen.

So I'm wondering where those of you who are licensed pros learned to do this The Right Way.

I'd like to learn The Right Way, and short of joining the Navy, I'm willing to take a class if I have to.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 01:08   #2

Re: Correcting Charts

British Admiralty: NP 294 "How to keep your Admiralty Charts up to date" is a comprehensive source, that should be sufficient.

Many Chart Catalogs include such sections as well.

The problem usually is just in finding a fine waterproof magenta pen...
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 01:49   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
For all you guys who are navigators or officers, where did you learn to correct charts?

Technical school? Academy? Is there a class where they sit you down and say "This is a Local Notice To Mariners. This is a chart. To correct the chart, this is what you do."?

I just learned here that there's a difference between a discrepancy and a correction, and Bowditch says corrections should be made in pen.

So I'm wondering where those of you who are licensed pros learned to do this The Right Way.

I'd like to learn The Right Way, and short of joining the Navy, I'm willing to take a class if I have to.
Actually, there is an easy way. Most notices to mariners these days include a picture of the corrected chart (just the affected portion) I simply print this out, cut to size and past (rubber cement) it on my chart in the exact position where it goes.

Simple and easy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 03:25   #4

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Join the USPS, (United States Power Squadron) Upon completion of their basic boating course you can join and they offer classes from Advance piloting through Navigator (Sextant navigation) and a whole host of other courses. http://www.usps.org More important is that unlike the Annapolis School on Seamanship, it's free other than course materials and time!

In Seatlle it is http://www.usps.org/seattle/index.htm
Old 22-01-2014, 03:32   #5

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross

In the Aus navy, the Navigating Officer would not normally do the chart corrections himself. He had a Navigators Yeoman to do the donkey work - usually the Met observer.

Didn't look like a fun job. Ships maintained a vey comprehnsive folio of charts and they all needed to be kept up to date. Can recall arriving in port after a few weeks at sea and literally bags of mail with notices to mariners containg corrections. Would keep him busy for days and days until the next lot arrived.
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 04:13   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

In the UK Merchant Navy, chart correcting (and publications) are traditionally carried out by the 2n Mate ( a good reason to progress up through that rank as quickly as possible)
Chart correcting is normally learned while onboard ship, not much class room time is dedicated to the subject.
On well run merchant ships nowadays, chart correcting is a lot easier than it was in the past. Computer software keeps track of the chart folio's, and a corrections are sent electronically on a weekly basis, and the software will then print out the needed corrections on tracing paper. This is then overlaid on the chart and the correction made.
In the good old days, a bunch of weekly notices would arrive in the ships mail, maybe every 6 to 8 weeks, and then the painful progress of correcting would be done, using parallel rules, dividers and pen

An old edition of NP 294 can be found here
http://helptodeckofficers.weebly.com...correction.pdf

Not a brilliant copy, a few pages missing and its not in the correct page sequence, but it will give you some idea.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 12:35   #7

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Join the USPS, (United States Power Squadron) Upon completion of their basic boating course you can join and they offer classes from Advance piloting through Navigator (Sextant navigation) and a whole host of other courses. United States Power Squadrons® Safe boating fun thru education More important is that unlike the Annapolis School on Seamanship, it's free other than course materials and time!

In Seatlle it is Seattle Sail & Power - Boating classes for fun & safety + vessel exams
+1
I suppose it depends on the instructor, but I've gained a lot of knowledge and practical tips taking the USPS courses. So far I've taken the Piloting and Advanced Piloting courses. Plan to take more.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 07:32   #8
cruiser

I've never seen a correction in a Local Notice to Mariners that could be cut and pasted to a chart. District 13, USCG.
Old 23-01-2014, 08:03   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I've never seen a correction in a Local Notice to Mariners that could be cut and pasted to a chart. District 13, USCG.
The Danish ones have them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 19:04   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

One of my first jobs was logging Notice to Mariners and correcting charts. Later I became a Navy trained navigator. You make the change look as if it was originally printed on the chart. Find the change somewhere else and draw or write in the change with proper colors. I like carstenb's post about copying the printed correction. When I first did corrections Notice to Mariners was all text. Now we have color printers.
Lepke
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 21:55   #11
cruiser

I've seen some of 13's LMNs printed as small "overlays", but I haven't seen anything in Puget Sound printed that way, nor have I seen any of the corrections printed that way.

All I've seen in a couple years is text descriptions, and callouts of which section of Chart Number One to use.
Old 17-02-2014, 23:16   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The magenta pen isn't the only challenge: the fine motor coordination for the super small print can be one, too.

A.
Old 17-02-2014, 23:18   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The magenta pen isn't the only challenge: the fine motor coordination for the super small print can be one, too.

A.
Also many chart types aren't suitable for updating. ( like IMRAY )

Dave
Old 17-02-2014, 23:35   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

A.

If you want neat, and have the cash to spare, there is always this bit of kit
Chart Correction Kit: Thomas Gunn: Online Shop: :

Its a set of fine stamps of just about every chart symbol

Occasionally have 2nd Mates asking me to purchase this for the ship, but I tell them if they use a really fine drawing pen, and stay sober, they dont need it.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 23:58   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post

Occasionally have 2nd Mates asking me to purchase this for the ship, but I tell them if they use a really fine drawing pen, and stay sober, they dont need it.
My Gawd... a hell ship for sure!

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
charts