Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2018, 17:32   #1

Corpus Christi to Miami, Florida 46 Bertram

Hi, I'm new to this forum wanted to ask for some advice;

Not sure if I'm in the correct section.

Moving a 46 Bertram from Corpus to Miami and wanted to get some advice on getting it there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if its in between the route.

Would you recommend the ICW all the way or some areas?
What areas have "Idle Speed No Wake".

I only want to travel with Sunlight, what Marinas for overnght Docking and fuel?

Thanks again in advance for your advice.

Frank
Automobili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 18:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Corpus Christi to Miami, Florida 46 Bertram

HI Frank and welcome to the forum.

First, perhaps you already know this but there is no ICW in the FL Big Bend. Roughly 150 nm jump from Apalachicola to more or less Tarpon Springs.

There are hundreds of marinas a fuel docks on the way (except of course around the Big Bend) so should be no problem. Highly suggest you get the Waterway Guide for the sections you'll cover. It gives you a mile by mile breakdown showing marinas, stops. bridges and anything else you'll need to know for the trip. I supplement that with the Skipper Bob's guide. It's smaller and handy to keep next to the helm. Get the latest edition and it will give opening schedules for the bridges and also the proper name to call them on the radio instead of "southbound Betram calling bridge one mile ahead".

Waterway Guide also has an online chart and all the guide information if you want to start planning. Another good online resource is Active Captain with the same kind of info.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 18:17   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Frank! Welcome Aboard CF!

SKIPMAC gave very good advice.

The Waterway Guide should be something you read prior to voyage. I would.

If your boat has been sitting in the marina a long time, make sure you take some extra fuel filters with you, more than one.

Also, while your boat is not a sailboat, there have been several recent discussion threads about traveling along the ICW from say Houston to Tampa. Those threads will have many good tips and comments about the ICW.

Here is one thread to get you started.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-137573.html

That happens to be a route I would like to take in 2018 (as crew) so I have been doing research on it myself.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 18:35   #4

I live in Miami I've been a boater for more over 30 years, been to the Bahamas many times. I have never cruised on the Gulf nor Gulf ICW.
Old 31-03-2018, 18:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobili View Post
I live in Miami I've been a boater for more over 30 years, been to the Bahamas many times. I have never cruised on the Gulf nor Gulf ICW.
Gulf coast ICW isn't that much different than south FL. If you can boat there, you can handle the Gulf. Stretches with no wake zones, stretches without. Some shoaling spots to avoid here and there. Some cities, some wide open spaces.

I could try to write a small book to lay out the whole trip but fortunately the Waterway Guide people have done it for me.
Old 31-03-2018, 19:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Gulf coast ICW isn't that much different than south FL. If you can boat there, you can handle the Gulf. Stretches with no wake zones, stretches without. Some shoaling spots to avoid here and there. Some cities, some wide open spaces.

I could try to write a small book to lay out the whole trip but fortunately the Waterway Guide people have done it for me.
Do you recommend to go ICW all the way from Corpus to Florida or go outside in some areas like New Orleans or Louisiana?
Old 31-03-2018, 20:03   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Do you recommend to go ICW all the way from Corpus to Florida or go outside in some areas like New Orleans or Louisiana?
First a disclaimer, I haven't been on the ICW west of Pensacola. That being said, it mostly depends on your plans, preferences, weather and if you would make an overnight passage or not. If the weather is good and you're in a hurry then in places you might save time going outside, especially if you will continue for a day or so. That will also depend on whether you want to burn the fuel for go fast or stick to displacement speeds. ICW is pretty much a daylight only route although in places I've seen commercial traffic running at night.

Also as I mentioned, there is not ICW from Aplalchicola FL. Ends there and doesn't restart until a bit north of Tampa so you have 150 nm stretch that you have no option but outside.
Old 31-03-2018, 20:11   #8

My concern is from Corpus to Galveston, I've read there are problems with Locks and also in Louisiana?
Old 31-03-2018, 20:19   #9

I am new on this site and I was trying to let people know that I wasn't a Rookie nor an Outboard Center Console Bay boater.

I'm just trying to get advice from boaters who have traveled Gulf ICW from Texas to Florida.

I can and have traveled many times to the Bahamas with only a Chart and compass, before GPS when I was a Teenager in the 80s.
Old 31-03-2018, 20:40   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My concern is from Corpus to Galveston, I've read there are problems with Locks and also in Louisiana?
Once again, the folllowing is offered in a friendly tone of voice.

Those issues are covered in the cruising guides (Waterway Guide) and also some in the comments found in the thread I linked up above. Spend some time reading that thread completely, get the Waterway Guide and read it, and I think you will have all of your questions answered.

Also, unless one puts some bio info into their CF Profile when they join, or they specifically mention it when making a post, most members here will assume the person posting has little or no experience. Better to assume that than the opposite. So, to avoid misunderstandings, it is a good idea to fill out your CF Profile "About Me" page with some honest, upfront, details. People do tend to view those, sometimes before responding at all to new member's requests for help.

Good luck.
Old 31-03-2018, 20:41   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hopefully someone with experience in the TX-LA section will chime in. I can only know from Pensacola onward. No locks on that section, just bridges.
Old 31-03-2018, 20:44   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hopefully someone with experience in the TX-LA section will chime in. I can only know from Pensacola onward. No locks on that section, just bridges.
The thread I linked up above has details from boaters who have gone that route. Very good info, lots of comments.
It just takes reading the thread.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:06   #13

automilbili-
the GICW is fantastic and well worth the trip. Far prettier and deeper than the East coast ICW. If you have no plans to do it again- do it. One word of caution- inside and outside the gulf coastline-avoid nighttime running. The area is littered with debris in the form of unlit wells,uncharted pipelines , and other debris.
Waterway guide is the best of the instruction manuals although can be thin of info in a few places. The ICW charts are accurate so that helps. The ICW channel is very deep and well maintained.

time of year to avoid bugs may be helpful.
Skin so soft is the deterrent of local choice.

Lots of history on the Gulf run to stop and see

No surprises on bridges, the locks are not bad except for the Mississippi which can be large differences depending on water levels. . The tugs are non-stop and pretty easy to work with. AIS will greatly assist in the communications.
Generally yachts are locked thru alone to avoid damage. Two long lines and a couple ball fenders are fine.

Fuel west of the Mississippi must be monitored- fuel is available but often considerable distances between docks. Cash works best for fuel and docks. RIO is one of a couple commercial docks- which sell to everyone. For some reason the commercial docks are not mentioned or shown- so google commercial fuel and find locations. Be prepared for nozzles designed for high gallon load.

For planning average your speed about 8- 10 knots- see everything and not have a huge wake.

Mississippi River is busy but straight forward. Just watch the down bound traffic and debris from Chicago. Everything is moving at 4 knots. If westbound go Harvey to the north and fair current to Industrial. (mentioned in WG)

West of Mississippi the small towns have places to tie up- often free. All are in waterway guide or online waterway guide. Houma is very nice, with Hospital (if needed) one block and waterside bar three blocks. It does not get any more welcoming.

East of Mississippi is beautiful but more boating oriented.

South of Tarpon Springs you are on your own-

Have fun.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:09   #14

Boat: Pearson

when traveling icw from pennsacola to app. , when the channel narrows stay in the direct center of the channel. Do not travel at night, large barges pushed by tugs travel at night and day and are difficult to see as there are many bends in the channel. The channel can be silted in up to 10’ inside the markers.You can take st. georges sound , inside dog island,and shoot for tampa, go straight out from there as there are shoals 5+ miles offshore. Cedar key is a possible rest stop, be wary of depths coming in. as advised carry multiple fuel filters, belts etc. good luck😀
Old 01-04-2018, 10:14   #15

Quote:
I did this a year ago, (coincidentally bringing a Bertram 42 over from Kemah, TX to Mississippi). Lots, I mean lots, of barge traffic, lots of locks, and only a few good tie ups at night. We made overnight stops at, Sabine Pass Port Authority marina (fueled up there,too) , Shell's Morgan Landing ( fueled up again at 1.87 for diesel), Morgan City city pier (rough, use fenderboards, but a nice restaurant within walking distance), and the last night, tied to an abandoned barge near the Harvey lock, and then home to Bay St. Louis, MS Marina.

We went late a couple of nights by just getting in behind and tailgating a barge and tow. They all do about six to seven knots, but a lot less stress at night just following. The locks weren't as bad as I feared, they frequently let pleasure boats jump through while tows were getting in position to pass through.

One pleasant surprise were the towboat captains, some of the nicest peope I have ever encountered on the water. They made us feel welcome on the ICW. But, it's a dreary run. The high point of one day was seeing a drowned cow that appeared to have got stuck in the mud.

We talked about that cow for two days, it's that kind of run.

Tags
florida, miami