Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 10:25   #16

Re: Corpus Christi to Miami, Florida 46 Bertram

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
automilbili-
the GICW is fantastic and well worth the trip. Far prettier and deeper than the East coast ICW. If you have no plans to do it again- do it. One word of caution- inside and outside the gulf coastline-avoid nighttime running. The area is littered with debris in the form of unlit wells,uncharted pipelines , and other debris.
Waterway guide is the best of the instruction manuals although can be thin of info in a few places. The ICW charts are accurate so that helps. The ICW channel is very deep and well maintained.

time of year to avoid bugs may be helpful.
Skin so soft is the deterrent of local choice.

Lots of history on the Gulf run to stop and see

No surprises on bridges, the locks are not bad except for the Mississippi which can be large differences depending on water levels. . The tugs are non-stop and pretty easy to work with. AIS will greatly assist in the communications.
Generally yachts are locked thru alone to avoid damage. Two long lines and a couple ball fenders are fine.

Fuel west of the Mississippi must be monitored- fuel is available but often considerable distances between docks. Cash works best for fuel and docks. RIO is one of a couple commercial docks- which sell to everyone. For some reason the commercial docks are not mentioned or shown- so google commercial fuel and find locations. Be prepared for nozzles designed for high gallon load.

For planning average your speed about 8- 10 knots- see everything and not have a huge wake.

Mississippi River is busy but straight forward. Just watch the down bound traffic and debris from Chicago. Everything is moving at 4 knots. If westbound go Harvey to the north and fair current to Industrial. (mentioned in WG)

West of Mississippi the small towns have places to tie up- often free. All are in waterway guide or online waterway guide. Houma is very nice, with Hospital (if needed) one block and waterside bar three blocks. It does not get any more welcoming.

East of Mississippi is beautiful but more boating oriented.

South of Tarpon Springs you are on your own-

Have fun.
Hi and thanks for the response.

Where is the "RIO Commercial Docks"?

Would you recommend to go thru ICW from Galveston to Mississippi?

Frank
Automobili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobili View Post
Hi and thanks for the response.

Where is the "RIO Commercial Docks"?

Would you recommend to go thru ICW from Galveston to Mississippi?

Frank
See my earlier post. The next time, I'm going offshore around that stretch.

But, once you get to Mississippi, on to Key West, it's a beautiful run on the ICW, and across the big bend. . One of our favorites.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:34   #18

Thank You
Old 01-04-2018, 12:00   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I've done the Corpus Christi to Galveston portion many times. The biggest concerns are the 2 sets of locks at the Brazos and Colorado Rivers, and the railroad bridge at Galveston. The rest is a piece of cake. As you will fit under the bridge at Aransas Pass, go that way, not up to Port Aransas. A long day, but you should be able to make Matagorda in one day, at trawler speed. Spend the night there, if Spoonbills Restaurant is open, call them and they will pick you up. You can call the locks to check their operations before you go. Most of the time they are simply open. But ongoing maintenance and river flooding will affect them. You can check online about the railroad bridge. You can make Galveston the next day. You can stay in Harborwalk marina before the bridge, if there are any issues. Food is excellent there as well.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:30   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
How do we delete these stupid posts?
Whaaaaaa ? What are you talking about ? I am reading nothing stupid.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 13:43   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
How do we delete these stupid posts?
By deleting yours?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 13:50   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
My concern is from Corpus to Galveston, I've read there are problems with Locks and also in Louisiana?
Ive run the entire ICW from Texas thru Florida (excluding where none exists of course). Multiple times for some sections. But its been many years since those trips.

Ive never encountered any "problems" at locks. Just lots of commercial traffic and some associated wait time.

As posted, much of this ICW run is not very interesting, but their are some high lights, like Houma LA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 14:41   #23
Marine Service Provider

Unless you really want to torcher your boat and yourself to tour that part of the country, why not take a strait shot (860NM) to Key West then ride the Stream north to MIA. The back door into Key West is a little shallow but well-marked and fine if you don't draw over 7'. Leave early morning to miss the abandon oil rigs near the TX coast, spend 2-3 nights enroute and arrive Key West in daylight. Taking a little extra fuel beats stopping at a bunch of fuel docks.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 15:04   #24

Thanks for the response.

Is there Idle speed anywhere from Corpus to Galveston?

I can cruise around 17 Kts.
Old 01-04-2018, 15:43   #25

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

Is there Idle speed anywhere from Corpus to Galveston?

I can cruise around 17 Kts.

I don’t know if any idle speed areas (and I’ve run that section a few times). But if you’re throwing up the type of wake at 17 knots that I imagine you’d be throwing, the tow boat captains will be calling you worse than mud unless you slow down for them.

Same holds true in certain areas with docks or fish camps.

There are also a few sections where moving at that speed causes bank erosion because the ditch is so narrow.

I would head out side for all legs of this trip myself and plan fueling stops along the way, rather than running the ditch all the way around.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 16:31   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

There are a few no wake ares - but a tiny fraction of the total run. As others have said, towing a wake through groups of fishing boats won't make you very popular. As well, you are legally responsible for your wake. We've done the whole run in a single day. At 17kts, it's possible. One long-ass day though.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 16:58   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I understand the desire to move only during the day- but that is going to make it a torturous move.

Suggest calculating the vessel safe range, and then making long hops outside. Once you see your way clear, get to St. Petersburg, work your way south and top off at Marco. From there head to either Channel 5 or the Yacht Channel to cut across the flats. Once across it should be a top-off and then Miami.

All depends on the most fuel efficient range of the vessel.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 17:24   #28

I was looking at the ICW in louisiana and Ive never seen so many curves on a waterway.

I think Ill run outside and pull in at nights to fuel and sleep.
Old 01-04-2018, 18:30   #29

Boat: Hunter, 38, 38 Feet

We went from Kemah to Port Charlotte two years ago on the ICW where water depth and bridges permitted ( 5 foot draft 60 foot mast) and really enjoyed it.

Get the Skipper Bob book for cruising the Gulf by all means along with a chart kit. Skipper Bob describes all the anchorages, bridges, locks and marinas on the ICW from Brownsville to the Keys mile by mile and is invaluable. We are currently in the Bahamas after many years in Texas - Come On Down!!
ahoymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 23:30   #30

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
My concern is from Corpus to Galveston, I've read there are problems with Locks and also in Louisiana?
From Galveston to Corpus Christi the locks are not a problem. Technically, they say they are open at the top of the hour, but in reality they are open most of the time. Also, they are sea level flood control locks, not the type of locks that are flooded or drained to raise or lower your vessel. Interesting trip if you haven't done it before.

Tags
florida, miami