Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2008, 13:20   #1
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Converting .JPG/.JPW arial photos to BSB format

I am trying to convert some arial photographs to work with navigation software in BSB (.kap) format.

This a quick post in case someone is familiar with this already, but I can supply many details.

I am using Terrafetcher to download arial photos from the Microsoft Terraserver. These are public domain images that anyone can use.

Terrafetcher will convert these images to georeferenced .jpg files, that is a .jpg with the matching .jpw world file.

Then I have a utility (Tifftag, I think) that will convert these to .tif with a .something (can't remember, like .tfw?) world file. Then another utility that will convert it to a geo-tiff with the world information embedded.

Here's the rub. The package won't read them. When I examine the .tif, there are some additional tags. I expect it is something that says what kind of chart it is so it knows if it's a raster chart, photo or topo.

If I can get that part done, then I can try the geo-tif to .kap conversion.

Second rub. Some of these utilities only work interactive. I really need a batch solution. I can create the .jpg/.jpw in batch.

Any ideas? There could be free DVDs with photos of the areas of your choice should you information get me to a solution. I will also post here, and on my website, the complete step-by-step on how to do it.

If anyone wants all the gory details on what I've done so far, I'll spend some time in the next few evenings putting together all the steps, programs, etc.

BTW: For viewing arial photos while underway and supposedly plotting your position (I haven't tried this) you can view those same Terraserver photos with USAPhotoMap. You manually download what you want to your disk (or user TerraFetcher to batch download). Once it's downbloaded, no internet connection required. B&W photos of almost the entire contiguous 48 + USVI (I'd say 99.5%), Topo maps of most of the US including Alaska and Hawaii (about 98%) and selected urban areas in color (San Franscisco is one that is fully covered) I can give links and instructions for that as well. I have downloaded over 1tb of those maps so far. I think I have about another 500mb to go.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bsb