Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2010, 13:24   #1

Computer Question

I have a handheld Garmin GPS. I've purchased "Blue Chart Americas" (also called Mapsource) and have downloaded the Pacific coast on my laptop computer. I've planned routes on my computer and sent them to my handheld (and vice versa) using a cable interface.

So, since the computer display is bigger, I want to plug my handheld into the computer and have it display where I am and the track of my route. I have a friend who has some special software that does this (old) but you'd think that wouldn't even be necessary. And he just left on a month-long vacation so not available to ask.

So, how do you do this? I don't want to buy a chartplotter.......I just want to keep my compter down below and plug my handheld GPS into it. Anyone know how to do this?
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 13:34   #2

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
I use a GPS mouse ($25 on ebay) and seaclear software (free).
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 14:06   #3

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Try this forums opencpn software, development is active and ongoing, feedback welcome
Old 27-05-2010, 14:13   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailPenelope View Post
I have a handheld Garmin GPS. I've purchased "Blue Chart Americas" (also called Mapsource) and have downloaded the Pacific coast on my laptop computer. I've planned routes on my computer and sent them to my handheld (and vice versa) using a cable interface.

So, since the computer display is bigger, I want to plug my handheld into the computer and have it display where I am and the track of my route. I have a friend who has some special software that does this (old) but you'd think that wouldn't even be necessary. And he just left on a month-long vacation so not available to ask.

So, how do you do this? I don't want to buy a chartplotter.......I just want to keep my compter down below and plug my handheld GPS into it. Anyone know how to do this?
You'll need to find and download a copy of nRoute. The real-time tracking function in MapSource was removed from the program some time ago. I have also been told that Garmin was discontinuing nRoute but that a version is still available at Index of /perry/nroute (last item on the page). I cannot attest to the merit of this link however.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 15:21   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Try this forums opencpn software, development is active and ongoing, feedback welcome
I think the OP is interested in using his BlueCharts with software (which is reasonable considering he already owns a set for his GPS). I doubt any software, except for software from Garmin itself can handle BlueCharts (I wish we could, I even got enough hutzpa to contact Garmin about it but, of course, they weren't interested).
Old 27-05-2010, 22:15   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailPenelope View Post
I have a handheld Garmin GPS.
Yes, its easy depending on the Garmin GPS. I have the GPSMap 76cx
On the back of the unit are 2 rubber covers to 2 holes. The smaller on is for a USB plug. The GPS end needs to small USB plu and the computer, obviously, needs the normal size. If you have a digital camera etc you should have the cable to fit somewhere. otherwaise off to the computer shop you go!

Then you have to set the Interface in Menu/Menu to Garmin and plug it it. Mapsource has a little Upload to GPS button and should find the plugged in GPS. There is also a download from GPOS button too

I hope this helps.

Mark

OOOOOPs! Of course I didn't read the question properly!!! You can not use Mapsource as a chrtplotter with real time updating from your GPS. Garmin, the little cons, want you to buy a chartplotter from them for many thousands of dollars to be the same size as your computer screen.

As other posers have said a good free one is OpenCpn.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 04:43   #7

Boat: Lagoon 37
I also use the N-Route software Hylyte mentioned
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 05:18   #8

Boat: Downeast 32
Hey fellow sailers. This is just me but I dont like Garmin or alot of other handheld GPS's. I have a very good Furuno 1632 GPS/Plotter mounted on my vessel. As a back up and also for my land based vehicle I use a DeLORME Earthmate PN-40. It has excellent interface with my laptop. The PN-40 will give you a daily tide table, will your Garmin do that?
agrainofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 08:11   #9

Thanks, all. I have some work ahead. Just downloaded all new updates from Garmin to my handheld. Would like to try nroute, but don't want to srew anything up. Not surprised that Garmin would want you to buy more.........
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 09:20   #10

Boat: PETERSON 44
I use sea clear with a garmin 76 and the free NOAA charts. No problem. Off topic a bit. I found windows xp running all sorts of services in the backround that are not needed if your using the computer for navigation and basic web surfing. After selectively disabling these in xp pro the old 250$ itronix runs a dream is much more efficient.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computers