Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 15:55   #61

Boat: Formula 40PC
Re: Computer navigation and tablet advice for idiot please!

I'm thinking about going with a iPad mini 4 and running Navionics, but to feed to my Raymarine Touch chart plotter. Has anyone done this combo yet?
Ctsearay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:43   #62

Boat: Elan Impression 384

Good discussion. although i was amazed that only one small mention of the software called iSailor. Friends of mine only use this software and they swear by it. Sadly its only available for Apple products though. Hopefully it will be available soon for Android/Windows. If not, i will have to bite the bullet, join the devil, and buy an ipad

Very true about Navionics being dangerous. Be very careful relying on it when showing reefs etc.

Also another good post earlier in regards to devices. A windows 2 in 1 laptop with a SSD i feel is a must. Followed by a good Tablet with waterproof case and of course the usual chart platter in the cockpit. These 3 x systems, plus laminated paper charts (will stop them getting wet) will get you out of trouble.
Zaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:57   #63

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaria View Post
Good discussion. although i was amazed that only one small mention of the software called iSailor. Friends of mine only use this software and they swear by it. Sadly its only available for Apple products though.

We have iSailor on an Android tablet. For a few months, now...

-Chris
Old 09-07-2018, 05:27   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We have iSailor on an Android tablet. For a few months, now...

-Chris

It doesn't seem to be available for Android any more at least not from the Playstore.

According to the Transas website, they released an Android version in 2015, but the links on both the Transas and iSailor websites to the Playstore are broken.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:58   #65

Boat: Formula 40PC

I just ordered a iPad mini for Navionics. I won't rely on it as perfect but I'll use it as a second screen and feed routes made off boat to it when I get there. I'll post and let you know my findings.
Ctsearay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:48   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It doesn't seem to be available for Android any more at least not from the Playstore.

According to the Transas website, they released an Android version in 2015, but the links on both the Transas and iSailor websites to the Playstore are broken.
Hmmm... seems odd. I downloaded the app and got charts probably 3 months ago. Seems to work OK. I asked their customer support people at the time about potential AC integration (not planned as of then), so at least they thought they had an Android version... at the time...

-Chris
Old 09-07-2018, 15:34   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Hmmm... seems odd. I downloaded the app and got charts probably 3 months ago. Seems to work OK. I asked their customer support people at the time about potential AC integration (not planned as of then), so at least they thought they had an Android version... at the time...

-Chris

There don't appear to be any specific announcements from them, but they did reply to someone's post on their Facebook page a while ago:

6 June:

That looks good! I'm trying to find the Android version of iSailor in the Dutch Play Store - but it's not there? Strange, as the iOS version is available here.

Dear Fabian, thank you for your message. There has been a technical glitch which we hope to remove by the end of this week, so that the application will become available on Google Play again.

A couple of weeks before that there were a couple of complaints that people had lost all of their charts when they installed an update.

Looks like their "technical glitch" is a bit more serious than they anticipated

Old 11-07-2018, 06:53   #68

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uninav.plotter

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:49   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
"We're sorry, the requested URL was not found on this server."
Old 11-07-2018, 10:05   #70

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350

From their web site today:

Dear iSailors,

Please note that due to the bug-fixing process, Transas iSailor download is currently unavailable for Android users. Once the process is complete, we will notify you on the website and on our Facebook page. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.

Your sincerely, Transas iSailor team
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:54   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMarc View Post
From their web site today:

Dear iSailors,

Please note that due to the bug-fixing process, Transas iSailor download is currently unavailable for Android users. Once the process is complete, we will notify you on the website and on our Facebook page. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.

Your sincerely, Transas iSailor team

Took them long enough. I wonder if they read CF forums?
Old 11-07-2018, 12:38   #72

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
"We're sorry, the requested URL was not found on this server."
Must be a geographical issue. I just installed it here in the US but it crashes on start up every time.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 18:42   #73

Boat: Leopard 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
I would like to buy a tablet for running navigation software and would like to get advice from people who use tablets for navigation. I’m not very savvy when it comes to the latest technology…

Background: I have a Garmin chartplotter and 2 other GPSs on board. I also use paper charts. This is my basic and primary navigation setup. I would like to have other options on board such as Open CPN (or another program), Predict Wind and other programs (tides?). I have a number of questions regarding hardware and software. Bear in mind I don’t know much about any of this…

Hardware. I’m looking for an inexpensive tablet (but not an iPad) to use exclusively for these programs on board. Ideally, the tablet would have a long battery life and a built in GPS. Can anyone recommend a good and inexpensive tablet? As I don’t know anything about using a tablet for navigation, I have no idea what features to look for, such as memory capacity, OS, connectivity, ports, slots for cards etc. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d be very grateful (or even products to avoid). Even a list of the minimum features I’ll need would be a big help. I’ll be in Canada for the month of August and I’ll buy a tablet there (cheaper than Brazil). I was looking at this model (below), but as I don’t really know what features I’ll need, I’m not sure if it is adequate. The tablet would be used at the nav table inside and it doesn’t have to “talk” to any other devices.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...p_sllng_prdcts

Software. I’d like to run Open CPN or Navionics or a similar navigation software (still don’t know the options available). I would also like to use the tablet for getting weather and wind (via mobile signal). I’d love to hear what people are using (and the pros and cons) for navigation and weather on their tablets. For the time being, I would use the software for navigating in Brazil (digital charts are available for the whole coast), but I would like to use it also for sailing abroad in a year or so.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry I'm responding so late but I thought I'd point out that I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A from Costco last year and it has GPS built in. I assumed it would not come with GPS but after OpenCPN worked without having to connect an external GPS I loaded a GPS utility and sure enough it has a GPS receiver. Works great as a second chartplotter.
Old 16-07-2018, 03:49   #74

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfadler View Post
Sorry I'm responding so late but I thought I'd point out that I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A from Costco last year and it has GPS built in. I assumed it would not come with GPS but after OpenCPN worked without having to connect an external GPS I loaded a GPS utility and sure enough it has a GPS receiver. Works great as a second chartplotter.
Thanks for the reply Rick. Is this the model you bought?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10450218.aspx?

They don't mention a built-in GPS though.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 03:57   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Thanks for the reply Rick. Is this the model you bought?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10450218.aspx?

They don't mention a built-in GPS though.
That may be because all Samsung tablets come with it. Maybe.

If you go to the Samsung website, they usually have full specs for their various models...

-Chris

Tags
lease, navigation