Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2009, 14:31   #1
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Cobbling Together a System

I am sort of excited. We are finally getting together the basics of what will become the navigation system.

We started with a handheld garmin gps, that can link to my laptop.

Scored a nice flat screen monitor from work that no one was using that can be mounted on a swing bracket that will position it in the hatchway while in use, behind an acrylic hatch during wet weather.

I have looked at the software. Seaclear and open CPN seem to be the two non professional systems in use. I know that, come that day, I can link up the gps, the laptop and the software to the monitor and have a chart plotter.

We nabbed a handheld VHS radio as well.

Last week we got a raytheon depth sounder for a song, never used. Planning on putting the transducer into mineral oil in a container in the bilge ahead of the keel.

This weekend we scored a complete autohelm radar system, with the little dome, hardly used. an ST50.

tsunami has wind instruments; wind speed and wind direction original to her equipment, by Signet. We don't know if they work or what needs to be done to make them usable or if they are just interesting relics. We know the cable from the top of the mast to the instrument panel broke or was cut.

Just starting to sort this all out.

Do we NEED an additional mounted VHS radio or is the handheld, which has worked great out on the bay so far, but not been tested out the gate, going to be enough?

Is it realistic to think I can cobble this all together into a "system" or will I have the charting on the monitor and the radar on the radar screen and the depth info on that screen separate?

Not that I think that would be a bad thing, but all together would be cool.

Can I incorporate AIS into the chart system? Will I need some other equipment to do this?

Can we use the Signet wind instruments still? The little cups at the top of the mast are broken but I know they can be replaced, at least I think, I have seen them in West Marine. The wind vane still works, as in it moves with the wind and I do the old fashioned thang, look up to see what way the wind is blowing. but speed would be useful information...

Am I (more) crazy than usual to think I can get this stuff all functioning as a system of some sort?

Mostly I am just excited about the depth finder and radar. between the two we spent 350.00 and that just rocks in my book!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 14:42   #2

Great deals! assuming they are working ok. I would recommend an addtional radio with the mast top antenna, gets you out a lot farther. They are pretty cheap. Especially used ones without DSC. Heck of a deal on the radar. Your little boat's getting heavier! :>)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 14:47   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Heck of a deal on the radar. Your little boat's getting heavier! :>)
That she is, but in a good *rubenesque* sort of way, not just dead weight!

The range thang... I haven't really been looking for an installed radio cause we were pretty set with the handheld. But I guess I should at least check out the cost of a used radio.

Old 19-10-2009, 14:59   #4

Boat: Cascade
You may not need to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Last week we got a raytheon depth sounder for a song, never used. Planning on putting the transducer into mineral oil in a container in the bilge ahead of the keel.
I purchased a new depth sounder. The old transducer was properly positioned floating in oil.... Very proper job.

I did a test by putting the transducer in a plastic bag of water and positioned it just ahead of the keel. It worked there.

I read that you could glue the transducer in but was unwilling to do that. What I ended up doing was using silicon. It can be removed if something happens. I simply squirted a generous amount of silicon onto the transducer and pushed it firmly into place.

Worked well for three years now. However, I am not disagreeing that the whole oil filled solution isn't the most correct alternative. Mine was just easier and works great.
Old 19-10-2009, 15:09   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
Mine was just easier and works great.
So just silicone caulk? basically to glue it face down to the hull?

cause easier AND works great works for us!

Old 19-10-2009, 15:27   #6

Boat: Cascade
Yes and I used silicone because you could scrape it back off and clean it up if needed. Don't use marine adhesive. Do the plastic bag test first to locate the spot.

· Water in a plastic bag with transducer makes flat against the hull similar to the oil in a box.
· Remember you want to have the transducer pointing straight down for a proper reading.
· Once you get a good reading clean the area and silicone it in.

The sound waves sent by the transducer will reflect off of different layers of material. You want to make a nice tight seal of silicone with very few bubbles in it in order to get a good reading.
Old 19-10-2009, 16:40   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
AIS in laptop no problem, but we had to use a separate serial to USB adapter - the AIS worked at higher rate (BAUD) than other instruments. 30k plus or something (Simrad).

Displayed AIS over SeaClear and failed to display in MaxSea - probably takes something newer than we have.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 17:16   #8

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
I second Solitude...have had tranducer siliconed to hull for 15
years...key is hull must not have any voids at tranducer location,
also if transducer is in exposed location, where gear or a foot may dislodge...silicone a block of wood in front. ...Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 17:55   #9

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post

I did a test by putting the transducer in a plastic bag of water and positioned it just ahead of the keel. It worked there.

I read that you could glue the transducer in but was unwilling to do that. What I ended up doing was using silicon. It can be removed if something happens. I simply squirted a generous amount of silicon onto the transducer and pushed it firmly into place.

I tried both the water bag and the silicon for testing for a good transducer position. Neither would work for me. I knew that other had success with both, but not me. But what did work was modeling clay!!! I was trying to get my hands on some plumbers putty for the job, but they don't seem to use it in Mexico. The silicon just left me frustrated with a mess to clean up. I'm afraid that since nothing else worked, I could be going backwards to try and do the permanent mount with anything else. So the transducer is still sitting there doing a great job with the modeling clay. It's pretty accessable, so if it should pop off, I'll go stick it back on.

I now carry modeling clay on board and I think it might do a better job of emergency sealing than the toilet bowl wax.
Old 19-10-2009, 18:22   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post

I now carry modeling clay on board and I think it might do a better job of emergency sealing than the toilet bowl wax.
What colour works best?

; -)

Old 19-10-2009, 20:50   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
If you do the silicone trick make certain there are no bubbles in the silicone when you apply it.
regards,