Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2013, 04:36   #16
Registered User
 
Tomm0's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne, australia
Boat: Joubert Koala 24
Posts: 114
Torrent, don't download. Wisdom of crowds isn't perfect, but is better than nothing.
__________________

__________________
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 04:41   #17
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 72
Re: CM93 Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post
I also been looking - I dont trust some of the .ru sites (heard lotsa reports about them) and so far have not found a trusted site.

kris
that link, it is not ".ru site". that is "my" cm93 that I uploaded. this is "original" cm93 from the bridge of 50,000 container dutch ship. my friend was second mate there he made copy and brought it for me in march 2011.(and also for his friends in Ijmuiden, Holland).all "pirated" cm93/2 came more or less in the same way.and also do not blame Russian for everything and anything (I am not Russian) first people that I know who started pirating cm93 cd's was duch ang german officers, .

actually, first link that I left on this site was in juny 2011. you can check it. is still around here.

and also have you tried this link that I left, it is clearly not link to any Russian site.
__________________

__________________
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 07:07   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Latchi Cyprus
Boat: Dean 365 Catamaran
Posts: 135
Re: CM93 Charts

@ Scimitar : please forgive my etiquette : I am scared of downloading stuff I do not trust - been badly Virused before.

I have searched quite a few sites looking for info and none seem to quite "work" in terms of looking OK or actually downloading without leading me to "other" sites first.

I am quite keen to get the CM93 but only have one laptop left now
Any hints as to which CM93 would actually work for me would be much appreciated and guarantee you free drinks at the bar when we meet :-)

Kris
__________________
dont worry - be happy
krissteyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 08:21   #19
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 72
Re: CM93 Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post
@ Scimitar : please forgive my etiquette : I am scared of downloading stuff I do not trust - been badly Virused before.

I have searched quite a few sites looking for info and none seem to quite "work" in terms of looking OK or actually downloading without leading me to "other" sites first.

I am quite keen to get the CM93 but only have one laptop left now
Any hints as to which CM93 would actually work for me would be much appreciated and guarantee you free drinks at the bar when we meet :-)

Kris

I do not know why I am doing this.....

go on that link that i left earlier and "click""...

click on "continue on external link"



if this apear just close it...(that is bait for stupid people)



click on "regular download"




wait 60 sec.





click on "download the file"






save it where you wont





and wait.....

__________________
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 08:23   #20
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,298
Re: CM93 Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
that link, it is not ".ru site". that is "my" cm93 that I uploaded. this is "original" cm93 from the bridge of 50,000 container dutch ship. my friend was second mate there he made copy and brought it for me in march 2011.(and also for his friends in Ijmuiden, Holland).all "pirated" cm93/2 came more or less in the same way.and also do not blame Russian for everything and anything (I am not Russian) first people that I know who started pirating cm93 cd's was duch ang german officers, .

actually, first link that I left on this site was in juny 2011. you can check it. is still around here.

and also have you tried this link that I left, it is clearly not link to any Russian site.
50,000 containers? The world's largest container ship at present, the Emma Maersk at somewhere in the neighborhood of 1300 feet long, can carry I believe 11,000 TEU, equivelant to 11000 20 foot containers. A typical container ship is around 4,000 TEU and the one I am on now is about half that.

Oops... actually there is one bigger, at 16,020 TEU.
World's largest container ship at 396m long arrives in Britain on maiden call carrying thousands of Christmas presents | Mail Online

But thanks for posting that download link. I know that will bring joy to a lot of OCPN users. Only problem is the free access to the link does not work with download managers, and so an interrupted download means start all over again. A lot of cruisers use their cel phone for their internet connection. Maybe someone who has downloaded this can make a torrent?
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 08:37   #21
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 72
Re: CM93 Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
50,000 containers? The world's largest container ship at present, the Emma Maersk at somewhere in the neighborhood of 1300 feet long, can carry I believe 11,000 TEU, equivelant to 11000 20 foot containers. A typical container ship is around 4,000 TEU and the one I am on now is about half that.

Oops... actually there is one bigger, at 16,020 TEU.
World's largest container ship at 396m long arrives in Britain on maiden call carrying thousands of Christmas presents | Mail Online

why you are trying to be smart as...ole.

I thought 50,000 TONS container ship not 50,000 units

and just for the record I have maritime college diploma for deck officers and MASTER MARINER UNLIMITED

my seafarer career started as a third mate in 1976, on 30,000 TONS bulk carrier, probably you haven't even been born back then.
__________________
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 09:45   #22
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,298
Re: CM93 Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
why you are trying to be smart as...ole.

I thought 50,000 TONS container ship not 50,000 units

and just for the record I have maritime college diploma for deck officers and MASTER MARINER UNLIMITED

my seafarer career started as a third mate in 1976, on 30,000 TONS bulk carrier, probably you haven't even been born back then.
My, aren't we touchy! I never called your documentation into question, only the 50,000 container ship. If you had said 50,000 TON container ship, I would not have raised an eyebrow. But that's not what you wrote. No need to get all sensitive about it.

BTW my seagoing career began 6 years before yours did. Neener neener neener
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 12:08   #23
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,298
Re: cm93 charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Not only are Chilean charts not free, they are priced through the roof!
Brazil and Argentina. Theirs are free for the download.

It's the right thing to do. Let them charge for printing... but allow free downloading.
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 12:22   #24
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,298
Re: CM93 Charts

I found a torrent for the January 2011 edition that seems to be active. Haven't downloaded it.

Cm93 Januar 2011 (download torrent) - TPB

In U.S. waters you are good to go with the NOAA ENC and RNC charts, which are free from the site. You can also order them on DVD from various resellers, for a very small price, if you can't be bothered with downloading.
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 13:23   #25
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: cm93 charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
I am sure that there is a reason, but what I don't understand is why the cruising community doesn't begin to compile a database from which to make their own open source charts.
I can think of ONE - trustworthiness and liability. OK, that's TWO.

I do think we need to have a source for charts that are reasonably above reproach, and for the moment, i think the charts provided by responsible governments are the best we've got. Can you imagine the repercussions if someone comes to harm over using community-made charts?

But like everyone I do like additional and 'crowd-sourced' info to augment the charts. Such as a good cruising guide. Given the prevalence of GPS, I think that there's increased value to chartmakers to accept public commentary (like reporting a new hazard), even if they check it out themselves before incorporating the info.

It's easily possible to overlay additional info over official charts, to get the best of both worlds. I guess it just requires creating and publishing a standard. The OpenCPN project is in a good position to implement such a standard.

Re free and pirated charts... a tough subject. I do think that there is a net public benefit to making electronic copies of government charts free, as the US has. Charging for quality paper copies is a no-brainer. And there would still be a market for companies to sell electronic or paper charts with enhanced graphics and more info.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:07   #26
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Location: West India Quay, London Docklands
Boat: Van de Stadt, Trintel, 29'
Posts: 6
Re: CM93 Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
I do not know did you "find" it in mean time.

just in case here is link

CM93 January 2011


DepositFiles

thanks for that mate, just trying to download now.

Don't know how you helping fellow sailors out could turn into a row, but that's the internet for you. I appreciate your help, even if others would rather be petty wind-up merchants!!

peace

S
__________________
www.dizzysailing.org.uk
dizzysailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 14:57   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Padre Island, Tx
Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Posts: 81
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity
Re: CM93 Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malukusailor View Post
I know I know , how can anyone be this dumb. Nice new note book, downloaded open cpn, got gps input, but where oh where are the charts that everyone talks about but never quite gives the info to get them.
Take pity on a poor Luddite.
If still needed, send me an Email to lehmannhr@gmail.com. I just downloaded the CM93 Ed2 Dec2011/Jan 2012. So, could share....
__________________
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:42   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,321
Re: CM93 Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravosa View Post
chala,
that's depend what you mean "pirated". my cousin is second mate on the 50,000 container ship (dutch flag). he made copy of ships ORIGINAL jeppesen CM93 (january 2011) cd/dongle (worldwide coverage) and gave it to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
that link, it is not ".ru site". that is "my" cm93 that I uploaded. this is "original" cm93 from the bridge of 50,000 container dutch ship. my friend was second mate there he made copy and brought it for me in march 2011.(and also for his friends in Ijmuiden, Holland).all "pirated" cm93/2 came more or less in the same way.and also do not blame Russian for everything and anything (I am not Russian) first people that I know who started pirating cm93 cd's was duch ang german officers, .

actually, first link that I left on this site was in juny 2011. you can check it. is still around here.

and also have you tried this link that I left, it is clearly not link to any Russian site.
curious.
__________________
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:53   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: CM93 Charts

Why not copy yours from another sailor?

Are you alone in your marina?

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 14:47   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,321
Re: CM93 Charts

What I find curious is that this Forum allow peoples to promote, advocate and publicize stolen property.
__________________

__________________
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charts, paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Anyone Know of an Android Application Using CM93 charts? Franziska Navigation 64 02-01-2014 16:19
CM93 Charts Up to Date ? tonydix Navigation 7 29-11-2011 12:53
CM93 Charts and Chartplotters stevensuf Navigation 10 28-08-2011 17:15
Route Properties, Missing Functions James Baines OpenCPN 13 13-07-2011 05:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.