Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines
Re: CM93 C-Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronsdal View Post
With help from many friends, I now have:

OpenCPN running on my Map (Snow Leopard),

downloaded CM93 from May 2009, 1.4 GB,

extracted these files, all 11 parts, with Unrar

the bulk of the files are in an "iso" file.

The question now is, how should I tell OpenCPN about them?

Can someone help me with some suggestions?

Thanks, Chris

PS How do I add a new thread?

ISO files are images and it sounds as though you have not extracted the files properly as yet.

The file “CM93” should be an EXE file and double clicking it should bring up a file extraction window. Be patient, it takes a while to extract all the files.

If that does not work, try something like “WinRAR” to extract all the files to a directory such as C:\Charts\CM93

After extraction, you should have 144 main folders, 922 sub folders, and 20,869 files.

Then, in OpenCPN, go to Tools, Charts, and in the upper window, locate C:\Charts\CM93 (The CM93 with a + sign next to it) click on that and off you go.

Hope this helps, James

Old 11-07-2011, 18:32   #17

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

"After extraction, you should have 144 main folders, 922 sub folders, and 20,869 files."

A fellow cruiser here in the Philippines gave me such an extract (CM93ed2 MAY 2009) along with an OpenCPM which doesn't seem to work (I probably need to download it directly) although on his laptop they worked together just fine.

All I really want is the files that cover the Philippines so I picked off the 02700360.A and tried to view it in NavPak Pro (which I purchased four years ago but have never used) to see if I understand the naming convention. NavPak Pro says it uses C-Map but it doesn't like the ".A" file extension - so can I rename the file to the correct file extension or is this too easy.

Can I just extract the files I want (the instructions imply that this can be done as it recommends putting charts into geographical areas)?

Old 12-07-2011, 16:36   #18

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

Hi, If the set up worked on your friend’s machine, it should work on yours but if not, download the most recent version of OpenCPN, install it, unzip the CM93 files to C:\Charts\CM93 then in Tools, Charts, select the C:\Charts\CM93 directory, then add, and you should be fine. You may want to check out OpenCPN Beta version 2.4.708 rather than V 2.3.1, I started using it today and I’m very impressed despite the odd language bug or two.
Can you select only the regional CM93 charts you want to be open in OpenCPN?
Despite having been criticized as a bit memory hungry, I find that OpenCPN runs smoothly on any reasonably spec’d machine and I have had no reason to be selective about which CM93 charts I include in my current display.
That said however, if someone out there does know how to do it, I would like to hear about it because I have an older, low spec machine that I could set up for permanent use on the boat.
James
Old 17-07-2011, 18:43   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Fronsdal, As mentioned in another post .iso files are image files. You can burn them to a CD or DVD (depending on the file size) and then copy the contents on the disk back to your hard drive. Also, if you are using Linux you can use the "isomaster" program to extract the files directly. In Fedora or any other Linux flavour using the update manager YUM, log into a console as the root operator, type at a console prompt "yum install isomaster" and press . If you are using a different update manager, use it. In Fedora Isomaster will appear in your main program menu under "Multimedia" because it is related to burning CD's and DVD's. Not sure about any other linux flavour. Svarmido
PorkLoin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-map

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: