Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2011, 23:13   #1

Boat: 1970 Mariner 32
Send a message via Yahoo to Marq
Close Shore Navigation

Hello there
This is a two fold question here. I am a fledgling cruiser so my Knowledge is limited here be gentle please lol. I have been looking at the great U and loop passage I have a Chris Craft Boat Now I have been told that this vessel is not intended for these paths however I know of several exact boats as well as smaller and shallower boats making this passage this being said I cannot find the persons who did it the proof is their boats built in NY and the paperwork on board showing the passage so how was it managed?
Now for phase two but is it possible to coastal cruise within 3 miles of shore and if so what would be the advice for doing so? if not what is the minimum safe distance needed?

Now the specifics of the boat and myself The Boat 3 1/2' Draft 42' LOA 11' Beam Serial deisel electric Hybrid engine max speed 10 Knots. Myself Soldier will be attending Power squadron classes ECT. To further my Knowledge as well as a few years of local cruising to build my skills. These are theoretical questions as I move forward toward my dream
Marq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 00:56   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq View Post
Hello there
This is a two fold question here. I am a fledgling cruiser so my Knowledge is limited here be gentle please lol. I have been looking at the great U and loop passage I have a Chris Craft Boat Now I have been told that this vessel is not intended for these paths however I know of several exact boats as well as smaller and shallower boats making this passage this being said I cannot find the persons who did it the proof is their boats built in NY and the paperwork on board showing the passage so how was it managed?
Now for phase two but is it possible to coastal cruise within 3 miles of shore and if so what would be the advice for doing so? if not what is the minimum safe distance needed?

Now the specifics of the boat and myself The Boat 3 1/2' Draft 42' LOA 11' Beam Serial deisel electric Hybrid engine max speed 10 Knots. Myself Soldier will be attending Power squadron classes ECT. To further my Knowledge as well as a few years of local cruising to build my skills. These are theoretical questions as I move forward toward my dream
What are the great U and loop passages?
Is your boat a sailboat or powerboat?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 01:03   #3

Boat: 1970 Mariner 32
Send a message via Yahoo to Marq
The Boat is a power Boat (hybrid) the passages are the U from Seattle to NY Via Panama(that is my portion anyway lol) The Loop is the ICW up the East coast to the Hudson then the Erie Canal to the Greatlakes from there down the Missisippi River back to the Gulf coast. As a side note I am taking my sweet time as I have nowhere to be in a hurry hahaha.
Marq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 03:17   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
What is the air draft? If it is over about 15' you may encounter some bridge height issues in Spring floods, other than that if the boat is in good seaworthy condition the rest is up to you.
New York State Canals: Excursions and Vacations: Boating on the Canal: Bridge Height Tables
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ago-25363.html

The Power Squadron course will teach you all the basics for coastal navigation, rules of the road and chart-work. I don't know of a better intro course.

If you have a partner it would also be helpful for him/her to take the course. Coastal and inland navigation has more navigation hazards and other traffic, so you can't leave your watch more than a few minutes at a time.

Inshore night navigation is trickier. It's better to plan to travel during daylight, and plan to anchor or put into a marina at night.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 06:57   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

As the voyage will need to be planned under power first step will need to be knowing your fuel range (maximum and prudent ). and I wouldn't rely on simply what has been claimed (on usage and tankange).

Then I would look at a map (charts are for later ) and see what your broad options are in legs, given your prudent range. After that is a matter of refining things down.

I would expect your trip to be heavily weather dependent so would want my stops to be in places I could wait out adverse weather. as well as re-fuel 3 miles offshore? I don't see coastal as overall "safer", your route will dictate how far off land you are, no sense hugging the coast to the closest point but also no sense to heading 50 miles out before heading towards your destination,

Anyway, welcome aboard CF I am sure a few here will be interested in your engine installation, there are a few threads around on similar.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation