Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 06:27   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,580
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
This site really needs a sarcasm emoticon…

Mark
That would cover 80% of the site. It would be less cluttered to have a non-sarcasm emoticon
__________________

__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 06:31   #62
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Ok I'll try...

Imagine you are in heavy fog, Zero visibility approaching San Diego channel
using radar and your plotter

Over the radio you hear an urgent message obviously directed at you:


“Vessel bearing 220 degrees True from XX fixed marker at a range of 0.4nm, steering 030 degrees at 5.2 knots…. this is American Naval ship approaching your stern at speed 29 knots on urgent business.

Please immediately change course to 120 degrees to avoid severe wash and you must turn back onto a reciprocal course once we pass you in 2 minutes and remain safely outside harbor until further notice"



How well does that work for you in course up and radar ranges when you are blind piloting in a developing emergency situation where soon there may be many craft around you from all different cardinal points ?
Its stuff like this that makes me proud not to be American. The funny thing is I think the US Navy actually behaves like this.
__________________

__________________
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 06:33   #63
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,984
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
This site really needs a sarcasm emoticon…

Mark

Ah. Got it.

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 14:15   #64
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,890
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Its stuff like this that makes me proud not to be American. The funny thing is I think the US Navy actually behaves like this.
Yeah.....they are a "take charge" kinda bunch.....
Just ask Captain Philips ....
..... (Best sarcastic Emoticon I can find)
__________________
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 14:32   #65
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,505
Images: 16
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Speak for yourself - I'm very sensitive to this issue. Every time a professional mariner hails me on the VHF (using all sorts of fixed position, heading and bearing descriptors to describe me) and demands to know how I have my plotter set, I tell him N up regardless to save myself the shame of seeming less than professional in his eyes.

Mark
haha!
__________________
DDabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 14:32   #66
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
This site really needs a sarcasm emoticon…

Mark
I think it needs a "you are full of it" emoticon.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 09:30   #67
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hypoluxo, FL
Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades
Posts: 310
Images: 4
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

If you have a Garmin plotter and are interested in beta testing a new more detailed map chip for free send me a pm.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 04:08   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cruising Indian Ocean / Red Sea - home is Zimbabwe
Boat: V45
Posts: 1,282
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Ok I'll try...

Imagine you are in heavy fog, Zero visibility approaching San Diego channel
using radar and your plotter

Over the radio you hear an urgent message obviously directed at you:


“Vessel bearing 220 degrees True from XX fixed marker at a range of 0.4nm, steering 030 degrees at 5.2 knots…. this is American Naval ship approaching your stern at speed 29 knots on urgent business.

Please immediately change course to 120 degrees to avoid severe wash and you must turn back onto a reciprocal course once we pass you in 2 minutes and remain safely outside harbor until further notice"



How well does that work for you in course up and radar ranges when you are blind piloting in a developing emergency situation where soon there may be many craft around you from all different cardinal points ?
This happened to us about 10 years ago shortly after leaving the Suez and out into the Med. We were instructed to increase speed to at least 12 knots and go onto a course that put us dead into the weather. The 'order' came from a US helicopetr carrier and its support fleet. We were directed to comply immediately. I somehow managed to provide a polite reply to the youth that was giving the order........the fleet went around us but we did not see or hear anything in the pitch dark.
__________________
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 06:45   #69
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,826
Images: 2
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
This happened to us about 10 years ago shortly after leaving the Suez and out into the Med. We were instructed to increase speed to at least 12 knots and go onto a course that put us dead into the weather. The 'order' came from a US helicopetr carrier and its support fleet. We were directed to comply immediately. I somehow managed to provide a polite reply to the youth that was giving the order........the fleet went around us but we did not see or hear anything in the pitch dark.
Haha.. kind of gives credibility to that old joke about the light house and aircraft carrier
__________________
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 16:34   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cruising Indian Ocean / Red Sea - home is Zimbabwe
Boat: V45
Posts: 1,282
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Haha.. kind of gives credibility to that old joke about the light house and aircraft carrier
Yes. Sadly, all the witty retorts only came to me subsequently.
__________________
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 18:09   #71
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,135
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

I was with a friend in his new 29ft Jaguar yacht going out of Fleetwood harbour in the marked channel. Ahead of us was a P&O large ferry making entry. The radio crackled and it was the local Coastguard calling to advise the entry of the vessel at position XXX XXX and as we were at XXX XXX it would be a close passing in the channel.

My friend looked at me and feeling the confidence of youth and a new certificate, made some dismissive response.

One minute later, the radio crackled again and this time it was the radio officer of the P&0 ferry in front of us. In the calmest Dublin lilt the man said:

"Jeeez, I couldnt understand a word of the posh lingo he used. So to make it easy for us all, we are less than a mile away and pushing a bow wave higher than your house. It will take 3 miles to stop so you work out the maths. If it was me in your boat and I drew less than three foot, Id be thinking about heading to your starboard as quick as possible and even think about putting on life jackets because its going to get rough for a little bit."

Pete moved.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 18:26   #72
Registered User
 
Chenega's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT
Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
Posts: 151
Re: Choosing Map Orientation on Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I was with a friend in his new 29ft Jaguar yacht going out of Fleetwood harbour in the marked channel. Ahead of us was a P&O large ferry making entry. The radio crackled and it was the local Coastguard calling to advise the entry of the vessel at position XXX XXX and as we were at XXX XXX it would be a close passing in the channel.



My friend looked at me and feeling the confidence of youth and a new certificate, made some dismissive response.



One minute later, the radio crackled again and this time it was the radio officer of the P&0 ferry in front of us. In the calmest Dublin lilt the man said:



"Jeeez, I couldnt understand a word of the posh lingo he used. So to make it easy for us all, we are less than a mile away and pushing a bow wave higher than your house. It will take 3 miles to stop so you work out the maths. If it was me in your boat and I drew less than three foot, Id be thinking about heading to your starboard as quick as possible and even think about putting on life jackets because its going to get rough for a little bit."



Pete moved.

Ha! 😅. That one made me laugh and choke on my wine...!
Thanks for the chuckle.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
Live the dream, life is good
Chenega is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chartplotter

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simrad nsc8 chartplotter, charts to use and how to add them to chartplotter chrismin Marine Electronics 1 10-11-2013 12:21
C-Map NT+ Vs C-Map Max River Cruiser Marine Electronics 2 28-06-2012 10:19
Need Help Choosing Spot For AP Head And Chartplotter SS Little-Devil Marine Electronics 4 30-05-2012 22:32
To Chartplotter or not to Chartplotter, that is the question. tardog Navigation 44 20-03-2011 17:56
WTB: Garmin Map Chip for Chartplotter bobelon Classifieds Archive 3 12-12-2009 13:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.