Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-09-2015, 17:08   #1

Chesapeake Run

I must apologize if this question has been asked previously but i could not find the answer in the archives.
I have not sailed the bay before and would love to hear from local sailors.

I am moving a 2000 Oceanis Beneteau 311 from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach at the end of september. My son (30) and I (65) will be sailing.

My goal is to take my time and not push it. 6 to 8 hours a day is plenty for me.I don't like to cut it close and run out of daylight. Also will have to give way to weather and may spend time at anchor waiting for a clearing. Very flexible on time. Have cleared 3 weeks of my work schedule.

I need information on the best anchorages along the way.

We plan to get underway on a monday from Tidewater yatch in bwi and head for annapolis to anchor for the first day. Short run and be able to check all systems.
Second day plan to make it to chesapeake beach.
Third day to the salomons.
Fourth day as close to the hamptons as possible.
Fith day. Cross the hamptons into plymouth. Must make it a daylight crossing as i am sure I will encounter plenty of traffic.

Once in the ditch I feel at home.

Is this schedule reasonable?. I am open to sudgestions. Will prefer to drop anchor a couple of nights and to use marinas a couple of nights.

Advise on moorings and marinas is welcomed.

Thank you for all your help.

Guidera48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:53   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: Chesapeake Run

Two words: Active captain. All the anchorages and marinas are rated. Not sure where you would anchor in Chesapeake Beach. There really are no good anchorages half way between Annapolis and Solomons. Perhaps Herring Bay or Deale. Good luck.

- Dennis Jay
Annapolis, MD USA
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Guidera.
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:50   #4

Boat: Pearson 28-1

Hiya Guidera, welcome to the forum.

As you probably know, the Chesapeake does carry a bit of a current, so if you time the current right and if there's not a bad headwind, cruise speed on your 31 should get you from Annapolis to Solomons within an 8ish hour window. The longer run as you know will be down to Hampton/Norfolk. There is a wonderful little anchorage that I sheltered in after a day and a night beating up the Chesapeake. It's in the Piankatank river, and is called fishing bay, right north of Godfrey's bay. Beautiful, protected little spot. You can anchor off the marina there, or really anywhere you choose. It's between 50-60 nm from solomon's, so may be on the edge of your comfort zone, but if you leave early and conditions are favorable, shouldn't be a problem to leave and arrive in daylight. Watch for crab traps, especially if you try to cut any of the day marks on the Piankatank.

If you feel like you do want to anchor between Annapolis and Solomons, take a gander at the eastern shore. On the miles river, st michaels is a wonderful stop. We can right in and anchored off the maritime museum behind parrot point, outside of the channel of course, in about 8 feet.

Another option would be Oxford or Cambridge, on the Choptank, again on the eastern shore. Haven't been to these myself but my neighbors like them very much-not sure how to anchorages are. The issue is that many of the 'fun' anchorages are up a tributary a fair way, so you add some time getting to them and then have to double back the next day.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:22   #5

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Originally Posted by Guidera48 View Post
I need information on the best anchorages along the way.

We plan to get underway on a monday from Tidewater yatch in bwi and head for annapolis to anchor for the first day. Short run and be able to check all systems.
Second day plan to make it to chesapeake beach.
Third day to the salomons.

See Active Captain.

And probably not Chesapeake Beach; no great protected place to anchor there. And the entrance way to the marina area isn't the deepest channel in the free world...

OTOH, if you have any decent wind at all, the run from Annapolis to Solomons should be easy enough, and there's good anchoring there.

If you have to bail in between, probably someplace on the Choptank could work, tucked in behind Tighlman Island maybe. (Haven't tried that, direct from the Choptank main entrance; we've gone through Knapp's Narrows and picked creeks from there. Knapp's needs dredging, wouldn't suggest you try there without first asking for current local knowledge.)

Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:08   #6

Boat: Moody M46 46

I run from Annapolis to Deltaville all the time. Grab a mooring ball at Annapolis, then easy run (6-7 hours) from Annapolis to Solomons. Can anchor there, take a mooring at Zanheiser, or plenty of marinas. Long run from Solomons to Deltaville; 8 hrs at 6 knots. Easier run from Solomons to to anchor at Reedville just south of the Potomac River. 5 hrs from Solomons. Superb anchorage in 10'. Full protection. As noted, Fishing Bay is a great anchorage at Deltaville. 4 hours from Reedville at 6 knots. Fully protected. 6-7 hours to Norfolk. Long slog down Elizabeth River by the naval installations. Shorter to Hampton.

Active Captain or a cruise guide will be full of information re marinas.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 17:36   #7

Thank you all for your replies. I now have a better picture in my mind and have made plans according to your recomendations. I am not as intimidated as before and looking forward to a great trip. Thanks again.

Jose Guidera
All I aspire in life is to be as good as my dog thinks I am.
Guidera48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: