Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2019, 18:29   #1

Chesapeake Restricted Area- Is it real?

We're working our way North through the Chesapeake. Next leg is Solomon's Island to Annapolis. The chart shows Restricted Areas B and C, centered around 38deg 40 min N., which cover basically the entire width of the Chesapeake, and say that this area is closed to all non-commercial vessels six days a week from 1to 5 PM.

Is this really true? I know what it says, but I'm surprised that they can close the whole width of the Chesapeake six days a week.

Does anyone have local knowledge on this? I'm thinking also to watch the AIS in the morning and see what the recreational traffic is doing.

Thanks for any info you may have!
Cap Bill Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 19:33   #2

Boat: Admiral Executive 38’ Catamaran
Re: Chesapeake Restricted Area- Is it real?

Having sailed the Chesapeake for over 30 years I am not familiar with the chart marking you are describing. My Navionics is not showing me what you are describing.

I have sailed from Solomon’s to Annapolis and have not witnessed any major restrictions in the whole area unless there are gov’t activities taking place. Those are usually broadcast on VHF 16 then 22. Also published at local marinas who are on top of things.

There is a major shipping channel that runs from Norfolk to Baltimore and a minor channel from Baltimore to the Chesapeake/Delaware canal.

As far as I can see c’mon up and watch out for wonderful racing, icky crab pots, and the capital of American Military sailing.

Must tour the Annapolis campus and see the bone ships n the museum!

Welcome to the gunk-holing capital of America.
Act Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 19:53   #3

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

It's just a law about a place the Navy regularly drops things from helicopters and fast moving jets. They also occasionally have live fire because they need somewhere close to PAX for tests. Don't worry, some of those things explode but most do not.

That's all it is.

Ref for more info: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/334.170
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 21:11   #4

We happened to pass through on one of those days that the Navy had the area closed off for exercises. Don't worry though, if they have it closed they'll hail you and let you know, otherwise you're probably OK. We had to make a major diversion, and just as we passed the last range boat they reopened the area and all sped back to base.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 04:20   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

That restricted area is test range for Navy radar antennas on the western shore just south of Chesapeake Beach. I've never seen it closed, in over 30 years here... although some of that is just coincidence since we're not there every day. Anyway, Area "C" never closes to commercial traffic (per chart) and the area further east of that -- plenty of room -- would be open to recreational traffic even if Navy is using their range.

Give Cove Point gas docks a wide enough pass.

-Chris
Old 19-06-2019, 04:32   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
We happened to pass through on one of those days that the Navy had the area closed off for exercises. Don't worry though, if they have it closed they'll hail you and let you know, otherwise you're probably OK. We had to make a major diversion, and just as we passed the last range boat they reopened the area and all sped back to base.
This happened to me down this end of the bay. I sailed NW hoping to take advantage of a wind that was to rotate around clockwise and it worked nicely except when I got near the Western Shore a Coast Guard 29'er came at me ball to the wall (flat out top speed) and stops within a couple boat lengths from me and tells me I need to turn back directly East. So I tack and basically head back where I came from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_boat_-_Small_II

When I approached the bridge on the Eastern Side a Navy Patrol Boat approached and told me I could only go North in this narrow area close to the Bridge (CBBT).

https://www.google.com/search?q=smal...=1560944345390

They seemed happy and were very nice. It was near quittin' time on a Friday and I'd been sailing since noon and making no headway so I decide to have a beer and head in. I was only 5-6 miles out.

When I was in the creek motoring an hour or so later and dropping sail the patrol guys which were probably all early 20's came by going about 25 knots or so and waved heading for a fun Friday Night I was thinking!!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 08:47   #7

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

The military activities are not a regular thing, and the area is open about 99% of the time.

Just keep an eye out for military or Coast Guard boats, and generally keep the VHF on 16 - especially so if you see patrol craft. I've been boating in the area for about 25 years, and maybe twice we were hailed on 16. One time we were told they were shooting 50 caliber rounds, and the other time might have been dropping dummy bombs, or something to that effect. The "Target Ships" - old WWII ships, across from the mouth of the Potomac used to be bombed and strafed, and rocketed, regularly, and show the torn up steel plate to prove it, but that was mainly before my time. One of them is sunk just below the surface, and a hazard to navigation if you are not careful. https://www.soundingsonline.com/news...ys-target-ship https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAS_American_Mariner

Back in the 90's you used to hear sonic booms quite a lot over near the Eastern shore from the nearby Patuxent river naval air base planes - but I believe that stopped quite a while ago due to some rules or regulations. It's a great area, as Chesapeake bay as it gets, and anchorages are everywhere. As stated, be very careful for fields of crab pots, and especially near the mouths of rivers, where they are usually concentrated - but they can be anywhere about 30 feet or less in depth. Usually if you see 1 there are another 100 or more nearby in several rough lines.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 08:59   #8

The restricted areas will be on the radio if they are closed- and a patrol boat will be out there.
The only critical local knowledge-
target ships- be aware the one above water rests to another one that is sunk just under water.....
The targets just south of Solomons- the big platforms- are set into sockets thata re only just a few feet below the water. sailing thru them is risky and the Navy themselves are not sure where they all are located. so stay out of the circle around them.
Over near Bloodsworth Island are a few sunk objects, again- just under the surface. Namely the Tanks are harder than fiberglass.
The only one that is readily active is the Cove Poinit LNG dock- and they will call you if inside the box 24/7.
Otherwise the military vessels must be given a wide berth and the Naval Academy Basin is restricted.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 11:16   #9

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I should add - if you are anchoring in any rivers on the way - I'd avoid sailing in, unless you are absolutely sure it is crab pot free on your bearing. (which is remotely possible) Depending on the angle and bearing of the sun, crab pot floats can be extremely difficult to spot at times, due to glare and wave shadow. The large bay area outside the strict mouths of some rivers can have a ton of pots at times, but legally there should be a clear channel through, depending on the individuals crabber's attentiveness in dropping and re-dropping them. Finding the crab pot free navigable channel issue is why I'd generally be cautious sailing in. Once in the rivers, crab pots are prohibited, so you should have clear sailing outside of water depth and sandbars off points as the case may be.

I've been watching for crab pots basically my whole life, and even with that - there are times you find yourself in the middle of a crab pot field without quite realizing how you got there... Good luck, and the crab pots are not really a huge issue, but you have to keep it in the back of your mind, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area (meaning you haven't actually been through there since last week..)
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote