Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 05:10   #16

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54
Re: Charleston S.C to Savannah, Easter weekend

Thanks everyone, yes I am on a time restraint. We want to spend 2 days max ,Thurs, Fri. This will be her first long sail in her new, old boat and we would like to sail most of the way. How far offshore do we need to be to avoid any obstacles ?
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:50   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockborn View Post
Thanks everyone, yes I am on a time restraint. We want to spend 2 days max ,Thurs, Fri. This will be her first long sail in her new, old boat and we would like to sail most of the way. How far offshore do we need to be to avoid any obstacles ?
Please don't take this question as sarcastic or insulting because my intention is based on a sincere concern.

What you ask is a pretty basic, fundamental navigation question. Do you not have a chart of the area you plan to travel? Have you looked at a chart? They are readily available online to view free.

Regarding obstacles, depends on what you mean by the term. The Gaskin Banks off Hilton Head Island extend about ten miles offshore. Also, along this coast there are large, unlit buoys ten miles or more offshore and abandoned military towers that may or may not be lit that are even further out.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:19   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One other suggestion. Trying to keep a schedule is often one of the biggest enemies to safe passage planning on a boat. If conditions offshore are even slightly marginal I would plan on staying inside and making the trip on the ICW.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:30   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Please don't take this question as sarcastic or insulting because my intention is based on a sincere concern.

What you ask is a pretty basic, fundamental navigation question. Do you not have a chart of the area you plan to travel? Have you looked at a chart? They are readily available online to view free. ....................
I agree. I have a trawler, not a sailboat, but I have found that the charts and cruising guides give me what I need to know to make a trip. And I'll know how far and about how long it will take.

What we still don't know is - Is the OP going to Savannah or near Savannah (Thunderbolt)?

We have made this trip a few times going to the city of Savannah. The river has a strong current, lots of debris and large ships going either way. You have to watch out for the ships and their wakes are very strong. There are no "marinas" in Savannah, but there are "docks" with power and water right along the tourist part of town with bars, restaurants and stores.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:58   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I agree. I have a trawler, not a sailboat, but I have found that the charts and cruising guides give me what I need to know to make a trip. And I'll know how far and about how long it will take.

What we still don't know is - Is the OP going to Savannah or near Savannah (Thunderbolt)?

We have made this trip a few times going to the city of Savannah. The river has a strong current, lots of debris and large ships going either way. You have to watch out for the ships and their wakes are very strong. There are no "marinas" in Savannah, but there are "docks" with power and water right along the tourist part of town with bars, restaurants and stores.
I agree the OP is most likely going to Thunderbolt or somewhere along the coast where the marinas are located. Downtown Savannah doesn't offer too much in the way of long term dockage.

Also, never got any answer back on what kind of power on the boat. If an outboard or unreliable diesel that could have a pretty significant impact on the choice of route.

While I'm thinking about it, would be a very good idea to get unlimited towing package from BoatUS or the other guys (whose name escapes me at the moment). I minor breakdown could become a major expense if you have to call a tow on your own.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:35   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
If you set a course go sea buoy to sea buoy you would be in fine shape. The only obstacle I can think of would be an R buoy. The reef isn't just don't hit the buoy.

If you go outside and decide to come in, it is a long way getting back to the ditch. Even finding shelter is hard with shifting inlets like the Stono Inlet or Edisto Inlet. My guess with time constraints you will be leaving in the evening.
Trying either of those at night, not I.

JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:33   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If you set a course go sea buoy to sea buoy you would be in fine shape. The only obstacle I can think of would be an R buoy. The reef isn't just don't hit the buoy.

If you go outside and decide to come in, it is a long way getting back to the ditch. Even finding shelter is hard with shifting inlets like the Stono Inlet or Edisto Inlet. My guess with time constraints you will be leaving in the evening.
Trying either of those at night, not I.

JMHO
Not sure what you're meaning by R buoy (red?). I don't see anything like that on the chart but the direct course from Charleston #1 buoy to the Savannah #1 buoy will take you quite close to several, unlighted, buoys marking fish havens. These aren't just crab trap floats but full size, very heavy, steel buoys that could wreck your boat, maybe sink it if you hit one.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:14   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Not sure what you're meaning by R buoy (red?). I don't see anything like that on the chart but the direct course from Charleston #1 buoy to the Savannah #1 buoy will take you quite close to several, unlighted, buoys marking fish havens. These aren't just crab trap floats but full size, very heavy, steel buoys that could wreck your boat, maybe sink it if you hit one.
The R buoy is for an artificial reef. The one I am thinking of I think is R8. The reef is for diving and fishing probably 35 to 45 foot depth. As I said don't hit the buoy. It is not navigational just a marker.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 16:58   #24

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54

Thanks all, my daughter has the route mapped out. She has an atomic 4 I believe in good condition. I guess what I was trying to ask was if there was a better path to take than buoy to buoy considering prevailing wind and currents for this time of year. And we do not HAVE to get the boat down to Isle of Hope for any reason that weekend, so if the weather is not right we will postpone
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 17:34   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=rockborn;2069050]Thanks all, my daughter has the route mapped out. She has an atomic 4 I believe in good condition. I guess what I was trying to ask was if there was a better path to take than buoy to buoy considering prevailing wind and currents for this time of year. And we do not HAVE to get the boat down to Isle of Hope for any reason that weekend, so if the weather is not right we will postpone[/QUOTE

Other than tidal currents at the inlets there's no concerns. The Gulf Stream is very far offshore and not a factor. Winds this time of year could be most anything including a late season cold front and strong winds from the north.
Old 10-03-2016, 19:36   #26

Boat: Nauticat 33

Quote:
Thanks all, my daughter has the route mapped out. She has an atomic 4 I believe in good condition. I guess what I was trying to ask was if there was a better path to take than buoy to buoy considering prevailing wind and currents for this time of year. And we do not HAVE to get the boat down to Isle of Hope for any reason that weekend, so if the weather is not right we will postpone
Go whichever way you feel is best. It'a an easy trip, both on the inside and the outside. People on the forum will either hear of, or do something, once and then it becomes gospel. Eg. "Hells Gate." I've never heard of anyone actually having an issue in this area provided they don't act like an idiot, yet people will line up to sell you cruisers guides to get you through this area.

Most of the beauty of these trips is in figuring it our for your self. What's the point in the journey if you know exactly where it's going to take you. Ignore the armchair quarterbacks and get out there and enjoy the game.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote