Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 10:29   #76

Re: Channel 13: Absolute Must

I think it's important for the OP to understand the 13 thing is regional. Different VTS zones are going to have different assigned channels.

To answer the gentleman who asked why they didn't pick a channel and stick with it- it's do to volume of traffic.

Let's say you're in a busy canal maybe bridges 1-4 may be on channel 11, bridges 5-7 are on channel 12 and up bound locks are channel 13- well you get the point. A given channel in a local area can only sustain a finite amount of radio traffic before every body is standing on each other.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 21:45   #77

Boat: Ericson 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I think it's important for the OP to understand the 13 thing is regional. Different VTS zones are going to have different assigned channels.

To answer the gentleman who asked why they didn't pick a channel and stick with it- it's do to volume of traffic.

Let's say you're in a busy canal maybe bridges 1-4 may be on channel 11, bridges 5-7 are on channel 12 and up bound locks are channel 13- well you get the point. A given channel in a local area can only sustain a finite amount of radio traffic before every body is standing on each other.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I'm the OP and in my third or 4th post I mention channels used by specific companies in Fl. And in a different post, and the original, I mention 13 as the channel in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Oceanbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 22:07   #78

Here's something to stir the pot...
The Log Newspaper | California Boating & Fishing News - Recreational-Sailboat-vs--Tugboat-with-Barge--Who-Has-the-Right-of-Way-
Old 03-04-2015, 02:24   #79

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

His analysis is correct although the term "right of way" is not on. We've had this discussion a number of times and the colregs simply do not give anyone the "right of way" )all accolades to Lodesman who has pointed out that in a specific instance, that of ships traveling in a traffic lane, might be construed to have a "right of way" under the rules)

The rest of the time there are only give way vessels and stand on vessels.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:34   #80

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Agreed, but his analysis is only mostly correct:

Quote:
Rules 9 and 10 refer to large ships operating within a narrow channel or inshore shipping lane, where the large ships are expressly given the right of way. A tugboat, with or without a barge, is not considered a big ship, and it does not operate under those rules.
There is no minimum size required for a vessel to follow a traffic lane - if the tug is using a lane, the rules apply. Similarly, in a narrow channel, if the tug is restricted (judging whether or not he is restricted can be a challenge, but that's another issue) by the depth and narrowness of the channel, then again the rules apply.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:54   #81

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Agreed, but his analysis is only mostly correct:

There is no minimum size required for a vessel to follow a traffic lane - if the tug is using a lane, the rules apply. Similarly, in a narrow channel, if the tug is restricted (judging whether or not he is restricted can be a challenge, but that's another issue) by the depth and narrowness of the channel, then again the rules apply.
I'm actually surprised at his analysis since he is a professor of Admiralty Law - he should know better.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:29   #82

Maybe he does!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum