Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-01-2012, 08:41   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc
Challenge - Tampa to Oklahoma !

I've been assigned the task of planning to get a 41 foot sailboat from Tampa to the Arkansas River then to Oklahoma. Most aren't aware that there is the Kerr-McClellan Arkansas River Navigation Project which leads all the way to Tulsa, Oklahoma. 9 foot minimum depth all the way!
My problem is figuring out the trip to where the Arkansas meets the Mississipi. I'm afraid it will be a tough trip up the mississippi but the owner is up for it if that's the route. What I'm wondering is this....
I've read and heard of another way up. Something about another river system that connects to the mississippi then a route through (I think) Alabama? Through a canal and series of locks possibly?
Does anyone know anything abou this? Is it a viable option for getting north out of the Gulf? Mostly I guess I'm needing the name of the system and any other information anyone has. Is it possible this is just a by-pass of New Orleans?
So HELP! I know there are some "Great Loopers" that read this board. Can any of you shed some light on this possible "other route"?
The trip will be within a month as we're trying to avoid the spring rains and the mississippi flooding. I know it will be bad enough fighting the current at a moderate flow but we want to avoid the river rising etc. etc.....

Old 23-01-2012, 08:54   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Re: Challenge: Tampa to Oklahoma!

Sounds like a fun trip....

http://www.swt.usace.army.mil/naviga...VCHRTCover.pdf

Arkansas River Navigation Charts -- Tulsa, OK to the Mississippi River

Will you clear the bridges?

Bridge clearance: 300 ft. horizontal (90 m) 52 ft. vertical (15.6 m)

Old 23-01-2012, 08:57   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

That would be the Tenn-Tom waterway. Tennesee-Tombigbee.

Up the river through Mobile to Demopolis, AL. Then up the Tenn-Tom instead of the Black Warrior River. This heads to MS and points north.

Leading to the Tennessee River at the northern most point of AL and MS.

And from there to the Mississippi river.

Not sure how this connects to the Arkansas River, but I think it's worth exploring this route possibility.

http://tenntom.org/
Old 23-01-2012, 08:57   #4
Obsfucator, Second Class

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountry View Post
I've been assigned the task of planning to get a 41 foot sailboat from Tampa to the Arkansas River then to Oklahoma. Most aren't aware that there is the Kerr-McClellan Arkansas River Navigation Project which leads all the way to Tulsa, Oklahoma. 9 foot minimum depth all the way!
My problem is figuring out the trip to where the Arkansas meets the Mississipi. I'm afraid it will be a tough trip up the mississippi but the owner is up for it if that's the route. What I'm wondering is this....
I've read and heard of another way up. Something about another river system that connects to the mississippi then a route through (I think) Alabama? Through a canal and series of locks possibly?
Does anyone know anything abou this? Is it a viable option for getting north out of the Gulf? Mostly I guess I'm needing the name of the system and any other information anyone has. Is it possible this is just a by-pass of New Orleans?
So HELP! I know there are some "Great Loopers" that read this board. Can any of you shed some light on this possible "other route"?
The trip will be within a month as we're trying to avoid the spring rains and the mississippi flooding. I know it will be bad enough fighting the current at a moderate flow but we want to avoid the river rising etc. etc.....

That would be the Tenn-Tom Waterway. It would be WAY out of the way. It goes from Mobile up to the Tennessee River (at the extreme NE corner of Mississippi). Then all the up to the Ohio River, then about 100 miles down to the Mississippi River at Cairo Il.

Only advantage is that there are fuel stops on that route and you wouldn't be bucking the Mississippi current. Going North on the Mississippi, fuel would be your biggest problem.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 09:20   #5

Looking at the map, it does look to be the long way around.

Also, there are many locks to navigate. Only about four in AL now, but many more on the Tenn-Tom in MS. Not a big deal, but something to factor in.
Old 23-01-2012, 09:35   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Did you notice "The Toad Suck Ferry" on this map. Is it you that is sucking the toad or.........Don't get me started. Too late, there I go.
http://www.swt.usace.army.mil/naviga...VCHRTCover.pdf
Old 23-01-2012, 09:38   #7

Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

I would confirm the draft before heading on this route. The on-going drought has caused many rivers to be substantially shallower than normal. We drove through far East Texas last week and noticed that rivers were EXTREMELY low.

Judy
Old 23-01-2012, 09:59   #8

Drove down to Orange Beach from NW AL last week. Taking state road 13/43 is in the watershed for this waterway route through AL.

Actually, about the time I was driving through Demopolis I realized that water levels on every river and creek I had seen were at a high level.

I stopped at the Old Lock One Rec Area for a picnic lunch and noted the water level at the top on the original lock wall. This is on the Tombigbee just south of Demopolis.

Should be good depths in Alabama for now.
Old 23-01-2012, 10:07   #9
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Truck?
Old 23-01-2012, 10:12   #10

Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Drove down to Orange Beach from NW AL last week. Taking state road 13/43 is in the watershed for this waterway route through AL.

Actually, about the time I was driving through Demopolis I realized that water levels on every river and creek I had seen were at a high level.

I stopped at the Old Lock One Rec Area for a picnic lunch and noted the water level at the top on the original lock wall. This is on the Tombigbee just south of Demopolis.

Should be good depths in Alabama for now.
I was thinking more of the Arkansas - Oklahoma area. If the drought conditions are so severe in far NE Texas, then Arkansas and Oklahoma might also be affected. Haven't been up there so have no personal knowledge.

Judy
Old 23-01-2012, 10:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
That would be the Tenn-Tom Waterway. It would be WAY out of the way. It goes from Mobile up to the Tennessee River (at the extreme NE corner of Mississippi). Then all the up to the Ohio River, then about 100 miles down to the Mississippi River at Cairo Il.

Only advantage is that there are fuel stops on that route and you wouldn't be bucking the Mississippi current. Going North on the Mississippi, fuel would be your biggest problem.
I don't know what the currents are like, but if there is less downstream current to fight against, and there are more fuel stops, the longer distance might not be as bad.
Old 23-01-2012, 14:28   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
The TennTom route is your best choice. There are limited fuel stops on the lower Mis. The Arkansas river confluence is at the 581 mm marker. If you go up river the last fuel stop before you reach it is at the 167 mm. The lower Mis. has no locks, you'll go thru several on the Tenn Tom route, plus there are plenty of marinas. The Ohio river enters the Mis. at 953.8 mm. Memphis is the only stop for fuel at the 735.8 mm, depending on your range fuel may be a problem, I believe it's about 80 miles from the last fuel stop before you get to the Mis. river. I use a Quimby's guide for the river system, they have about all the info you need to plan your route. Sounds like a great trip have fun. One other thing the corp maintains a navigation channel so low water should not be a problem, in the late spring high water can be a problem with debris.
Old 24-01-2012, 14:04   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc

I'm looking at the Tenn - Tom waterway. Interesting route. We're also doing some research on how well at 41 foot kings legend will handle trying to make it up stream on the mississippi. Not real thrilled about that prospect at the moment though.
Any ideas on how long it would take at say 5 knots to go the Tenn -Tom route to where the Ohio meets the mississippi? Anyone done this route before? We like the idea of plenty of marinas. If we go the Tenn -Tom route we'll have to push the boat to make time. How easy will it be to keep moving round the clock. I've got lots of faith in the crew we're assembling. Only one green horn in the bunch. We are going to have to keep moving though as we're concerned about hitting down stream flow if the spring rains start early. As it stands now we'll be leaving the Tampa area around February 16th...
Old 24-01-2012, 19:38   #14
Obsfucator, Second Class

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
I'm looking at the Tenn - Tom waterway. Interesting route. We're also doing some research on how well at 41 foot kings legend will handle trying to make it up stream on the mississippi. Not real thrilled about that prospect at the moment though.
Any ideas on how long it would take at say 5 knots to go the Tenn -Tom route to where the Ohio meets the mississippi? Anyone done this route before? We like the idea of plenty of marinas. If we go the Tenn -Tom route we'll have to push the boat to make time. How easy will it be to keep moving round the clock. I've got lots of faith in the crew we're assembling. Only one green horn in the bunch. We are going to have to keep moving though as we're concerned about hitting down stream flow if the spring rains start early. As it stands now we'll be leaving the Tampa area around February 16th...
By my reckoning, it is about 730 miles from Mobile to the Mississippi River. And 16 locks.

You'll have to decide for yourself how many hours a day you can travel. For planning purposes, I allow 3 hours per lock. Sometimes only takes an hour. Has taken 12 hours. Can theoretically be a day or two...

Allow 2 hours for a fuel stop. Going off route, no wake zones, etc.

If you stay in a marina for the night, allow the same 2 hours to get in/out.

Running 10 hours per day, about 20-30 days would be reasonable at 5mph.

-dan

dacust is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: