Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 06:19   #1

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Cape May Canal and Liberty Island anchoring in a trimaran?

We'll be taking a 4 week honeymoon in our 36' tri starting @ July8.

We have a 26' beam, and I'd like to make sure we'll be fine taking the Cape May canal to anchor overnight in the bay. The chart suggests we'll be ok; we should fit under the bridges by a couple of feet, but is our beam prohibitive as some have suggested on the ICW?

We'd planned to anchor in Sandy Hook, but I'm hoping to make it to Liberty Island to ready for the trip up the East River; is there room there to drop the hook? I called the 79st marina but they won't rent us a mooring; they told me they're no longer renting to multis due to the beam. :-(

Thanks for any suggestions!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:36   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Cape May Canal and Liberty Island anchoring in a trimaran?

I assume you are talking about the small bay to the west of Liberty Island? There should be room there, the only problem is traffic. It is not very large and if several boats are anchored there could be a problem. No way to know until you get there.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I assume you are talking about the small bay to the west of Liberty Island? There should be room there, the only problem is traffic. It is not very large and if several boats are anchored there could be a problem. No way to know until you get there.
Yep, west and a bit north between L.I. and Ellis I. were recommended. We can get shallow so I'll wait and see as you suggest.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:17   #4

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
We'll be taking a 4 week honeymoon in our 36' tri starting @ July8.

We have a 26' beam, and I'd like to make sure we'll be fine taking the Cape May canal to anchor overnight in the bay. The chart suggests we'll be ok; we should fit under the bridges by a couple of feet, but is our beam prohibitive as some have suggested on the ICW?

We'd planned to anchor in Sandy Hook, but I'm hoping to make it to Liberty Island to ready for the trip up the East River; is there room there to drop the hook? I called the 79st marina but they won't rent us a mooring; they told me they're no longer renting to multis due to the beam. :-(

Thanks for any suggestions!
===

The narrowest horizontal clearance on the Cape May Canal is 50 ft at the swing bridge so no problem there. Are you talking about anchoring in Delaware Bay? If so I don't recommend it. It's big water with a lot of boat traffic. We anchor inside the breakwater to starboard along a little strip of beach before you get to the ICW bridge. Holding and protection are good and we've never had a problem.

Staging for the East River in NY harbor, the only anchorage that I can recommend is behind the breakwater at Atlantic Highlands. As a bonus, the muni marina has some of the best prices on diesel fuel in the northeast.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:38   #5

My mistake; I meant Cape May Harbor, not any bay.

Sandy Hook area will be my choice if it's getting really late, or we're just tired, but I'm hoping to make good speed (if we have good winds) to get up to the upper NY harbor area.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2016, 13:13   #6

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
My mistake; I meant Cape May Harbor, not any bay.

Sandy Hook area will be my choice if it's getting really late, or we're just tired, but I'm hoping to make good speed (if we have good winds) to get up to the upper NY harbor area.

Thanks!
===

There really aren't any good places to anchor in the upper NY harbor area. The reversing currents are strong and the tide rips and wakes keep things rolling all through the night. You might be able to get a reservation at one of the relatively expensive NJ marinas. Otherwise you'd have to go all the way up the East River to Long Island Sound to find a good anchorage. If you catch the beginning of a flood tide at Sandy Hook you can ride it all the way up the harbor and East River.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

There really aren't any good places to anchor in the upper NY harbor area. The reversing currents are strong and the tide rips and wakes keep things rolling all through the night. You might be able to get a reservation at one of the relatively expensive NJ marinas. Otherwise you'd have to go all the way up the East River to Long Island Sound to find a good anchorage. If you catch the beginning of a flood tide at Sandy Hook you can ride it all the way up the harbor and East River.
Thanks for that info. We'll go back to the plan and stay at Sandy Hook; I haven't plotted the entire course so I'm not that familiar with how long the trip is from the Atlantic Highlands to somewhere in LI Sound. I didn't realize that we could keep in the flood tide all that way. Good to know!
Old 09-05-2016, 19:38   #8

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Yes, best to leave Sandy Hook or Altantic Highlands breakwater at beginning of flood
tide (or a little before). You will be able to make Liberty Is. (approx16 nm) and go up the East River to western most LISound (another approx 16 nm) with current all the way.
In East river you will get as much as 3-4 knot boost.
With current, usually takes me 2 hours in my 30' monohull from Stat. of Liberty to my mooring about 2 miles east of end of East river/Throgs Neck bridge.
Several, actually many good anchorages within 2 miles of Throgs Neck bridge:
Little bay... at SE foot of Throgs Neck bridge...anchorage
Little Neck bay...half mile SE of bridge...anchorage
Steppingstone marina...2 miles east of bridge (my marina) call launch ch 71, pick up guest mooring...(no charge)
City Island/Hart Is. ...anchor between...directly north of Steppingstone marina.
Manhasset Bay...another mile southeast...very protected...all services...
good anchorage, or pick up yellow town mooring, again free, at least for first 48 hours.
Port Washington is on the bay, good restaurants, wm, Stop n shop across street from
north town dock.
...more if needed...
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
Yes, best to leave Sandy Hook or Altantic Highlands breakwater at beginning of flood
tide (or a little before). You will be able to make Liberty Is. (approx16 nm) and go up the East River to western most LISound (another approx 16 nm) with current all the way.
In East river you will get as much as 3-4 knot boost.
With current, usually takes me 2 hours in my 30' monohull from Stat. of Liberty to my mooring about 2 miles east of end of East river/Throgs Neck bridge.
Several, actually many good anchorages within 2 miles of Throgs Neck bridge:
Little bay... at SE foot of Throgs Neck bridge...anchorage
Little Neck bay...half mile SE of bridge...anchorage
Steppingstone marina...2 miles east of bridge (my marina) call launch ch 71, pick up guest mooring...(no charge)
City Island/Hart Is. ...anchor between...directly north of Steppingstone marina.
Manhasset Bay...another mile southeast...very protected...all services...
good anchorage, or pick up yellow town mooring, again free, at least for first 48 hours.
Port Washington is on the bay, good restaurants, wm, Stop n shop across street from
north town dock.
...more if needed...
That's awesome information; thanks so much. With our trimaran, I'm hoping to make good time with the flood. I don't have my charts with me so I'll have to wait till this evening, but realistically which of those spots might we reach from the A. Highlands by say, 4-5pm, or will it take longer? I'm thinking after 3 days onboard, she might appreciate going ashore for dinner! :-) We'll leave for Block Island the next day.
Thanks!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:55   #10

If you leave AH after breakfast you should be able to reach all by 4-5 p.m. with current with you. You can leave before current is with you but you want slack or
current with you by the time your near the narrows (Verr. bridge) and for sure with you
going up the East river.
Although more time to go into Manhasset bay (very easy in/out) by far best to go ashore with great selection for restaurants close by. And with water taxi available, won't have to break out the dinghy. Check your charts, happy to answer questions/talk. Bay/surrounding area literally my back yard.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
If you leave AH after breakfast you should be able to reach all by 4-5 p.m. with current with you. You can leave before current is with you but you want slack or
current with you by the time your near the narrows (Verr. bridge) and for sure with you
going up the East river.
Although more time to go into Manhasset bay (very easy in/out) by far best to go ashore with great selection for restaurants close by. And with water taxi available, won't have to break out the dinghy. Check your charts, happy to answer questions/talk. Bay/surrounding area literally my back yard.
I see the town dock with the M. Bay Marina north and the Yacht Club just south. Are the free town moorings in front of the dock? (I'm sure they'll love my 26' beam!) I take it the launch leaves from there as well? It looks like a nice area and well protected for the night, so with your recommendation we'll try it out!

Thanks so much.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:53   #12

Once you round Plum Pt. (green # 1) you will be heading east in channel between the mooring fields. Lining entire length of channel to starboard you will find yellow town moorings. Plenty of room for your beam, is no issue.
Water taxi will pick you up and drop you anywhere on the bay, nearest or at your
restaurant of choice. (there is a charge) Port Wash. Water taxi, Matt Myran
516 767 1691 or 516 455 0411 or Ch 9 ... Think?? if you call ahead they will
assign and attach pick up stick to mooring.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:30   #13

Thanks for all the help! I've put it in our sail plan and should be there July 11th, weather permitting.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:38   #14

I anchored many times in the little cove immediately E of Liberty Island and just S of liberty State Park. Excellent holding. Sheltered except in strong S winds. Ideal for staging
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:10   #15

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

To #14. Don't you mean "west" of Liberty Island? East would put you in the Hudson River. There is a channel (National Channel) with buoys running just south of Liberty to the shore just south of Liberty State Park. Looks like it leads to some old docks and wharves. Is that where you mean? Fits the rest of your description and looks like a decent place to stage for going up the East River.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, trimaran