Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2018, 13:44   #1

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
C-Map on B&G Zeus (older model) question

I recently purchased a C-Map chip (NA-N036 US and Bahamas) for my older B&G Zeus chartplotter to replace my Navionics chips for our upcoming Bahamas trip.

I assumed that I would be able to select items on the screen for further Active Captain info, but nothing appears to be selectable. I can move the chart around with the touchscreen, but that's all.

I called C-Map - they said that every item such as an anchorage indicator or an bouy should pop up more info when touched. They transferred me to B&G tech support. B&G says that the plotter is set up correctly and they don't know about other software.

Does anyone have an older B&G Zeus that uses C-Map data? Does yours give you more info?
Old 17-10-2018, 06:04   #2

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: C-Map on B&G Zeus (older model) question

Karen,

My previous boat had a B&G Zeus 2 chartplotter, and we used a Max N+ Wide chip NA.Y027.33 issued in July 2015. This version of the chip did not have Active Captain on it, but it did have aerial photos, marina layout diagrams, marina services, etc. You touched the marina icon and a pop-up appeared with all of the information available. Looked like folders at that point, and you touched the folder with the info you wanted, and it opened, etc.

We just purchased a Zeus 3 at the Annapolis show, but it hasn't shipped yet. Am going back to the same chip as previous, because it covers Texas thru the Bahamas, and is Explorer chart based in the Bahamas. BTW, the current version of this Max N+ Wide chip is NA.Y027.41, issued in March 2018. At the show, I asked Garmin and B&G reps whether the new chip would have Active Captain, and they either said "don't know" or "no."

Finally, C-Map customer service rep back in December 2017 emailed this to me when I asked about Active Captain: "Correct, in 2016 we incorporated the Active Captain data into the actual MAX-N+ card. The implementation was quite nice, and while static, it still showed all of the reviews and ratings. However, due to some changes in the software and compilation tools, it was removed in the Spring 2017 update, and we have no firm date on when it will make it back in - hopefully in the Spring 2018."

My expectation is that Active Captain data has not been restored. However, if you are missing marina detail, aerial pics, services list, etc., it might be that the Max-N+ chip has that, whereby the base Max-N does not. I think that was the sales pitch when the N+ came out. The Zeus can only use Max-N, the Zeus 2 can used Max-N+.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 07:02   #3

Thanks for the reply. After speaking to Navico customer service, I'm going to return the C-Map chip. It was not clear to me that no Active Captain data is on the older chips, and, unbelievably, no tide data!!

I have current paper Explorer Chartbooks so I think we'll continue with our Navionics Platinum + and our Ipads as backup. Really didn't like the CMap chart visually and poor depth gradient presentation. Everything less than 10' is the same color and I saw no way to change that setting...... I suspect later versions are better, but, like you said, my older but very functional chartplotter won't accept them.
Old 17-10-2018, 07:29   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I've emailed C-Map to see if they expect Active Captain on future releases. Not heard back yet. It apparently was on the chip from 2016 to Spring 2017.

I am confused though - did you have a new chip, or old chip? You wrote "It was not clear to me that no Active Captain data is on the older chips" I know the Zeus is an older version chartplotter.

Finally, my Max N+ Wide chip NA.Y027.33 issued in July 2015 did have tide data. We used it frequently. I wonder if that is a Zeus vs Zeus 2 issue as well. I don't remember what the depth gradient looked like. I do believe you could change colors on the Zeus 2. I left it as-is, but took a while to get used to. As you know, most of the Bahamas navigation is by water color. We tried to avoid sailing at night.

When C-Map came out with their "+" series chips, they had a chart showing what each chip version included. I couldn't find that on their site.

Best of luck to you. We plan to be in Bahamas next year from March thru May. We are having a Seawind 1160 Lite built, and its supposed to arrive in Miami in December. That'll make for a much closer jumping off point than Texas (which we did in 2015, Texas to Bahamas, Exumas as far south as Georgetown, and then back to South Texas).
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 07:39   #5

Yes, it was a brand new chip that I ordered a couple of days ago. Looks like our plotter is just too old to get the "good stuff". No worries though, I think we're covered.

We picked up our boat in Kemah and sailed from there to the Bahamas last year, a long way as you know!! Our boat name is Sojourn in case we cross paths next year!
Old 17-10-2018, 09:15   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmccraw View Post
I have current paper Explorer Chartbooks so I think we'll continue with our Navionics Platinum + and our Ipads as backup. Really didn't like the CMap chart visually and poor depth gradient presentation. Everything less than 10' is the same color and I saw no way to change that setting...... I suspect later versions are better, but, like you said, my older but very functional chartplotter won't accept them.

You can purchase electronic versions of the Explorer charts through their website. I assume they have one compatible with Zeus 2.

Garmin after acquiring Active Captain withdrew from some or perhaps all sharing agreements with various 3rd parties. I’m assuming you got a newer chip with it removed.

But as you say the visual presentation of the C-Map charts is absolutely awful. They need to hire an information designer and UX expert or fire the ones they have.
Old 17-10-2018, 10:57   #7

Boat: '82 Mikawa MKII 30'

Karen, I note that you got the latest chart data, but I don't think you mentioned anythingn about updating the firmware on the Zeus. I have a Zeus 2 and there have been at least 2 updates since I got it 2 years ago. The last update made some great improvements to the layout on the screen, as well as including new command icons. Still getting used to using them! If you haven't already updated, it would be a good idea to do so.
Matsubob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-map, model