Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2012, 08:07   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite 43- Demeter
C-MAP NT+ PC Planner

Is it possible to take electronic charts I already have and load them onto C-MAP NT cards for use in my older Raymarine RL70 LCD chartplotter? Im running OpenCPN and have downloaded all the NOAA charts I need as well as as copy of CM93. Would be nice to be able to use the chrtplotter funtion of my older Ray unit without having to spend $180 on cartridges for areas I already have charts for. I see and am wondering if you can put charts onto these cards or are they all read only?
Old 13-03-2012, 08:23   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: C-MAP NT+ PC Planner

It's been quite a while since I used PC Planner, so I hope I'm remembering this correctly. I had a "User Card" that was blank initially that I used to save the routes and waypoints that I created on my laptop using PC Planner. I could transfer them back and forth to/from my laptop, of course, and then load them into the chartplotter by inserting the card in one of the two slots. I believe that there needed to be a C-MAP Nt+ chart card in the second slot to make it work.

I never tried to load non C-MAP charts onto the User Card, but I suspect they wouldn't be readable on the RL70. I had an RL70 CRC, and there were a limited number of chart "brands" that were compatible.
Old 13-03-2012, 08:29   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite 43- Demeter
Re: C-MAP NT+ PC Planner

Did a little more reading and I think you are right. Thye only thing I could load onto one the cards would be routes and waypoints. The charts I would need to already have on a card. The cards even older ones on Ebay are rediculously priced though. For $150 I can get from Garmin the entire caribbean with latest updates yet C-map NT cards start at $50 for small sections of the coast and mostly old versions. Oh well.

Tags
c-map

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: