Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-06-2016, 20:41   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Brisbane to Hobart advice wanted

Excellent comments, Snow Petrel, particularly as regards Eden. He might be able to get that boat into the [too shallow for us] Quarantine Bay part of Twofold Bay, but I don't know about mooring availability.

For someone who is not an experienced singlehander, I think scarpa has envisioned a very challenging scenario. I wonder whether he has any sea miles in the boat? Also, I'm suspecting he's thinking he'll do it in a short period of time, and that will put a lot of pressure on him to force the progress, and then will get stuffed by a stronger than predicted frontal passage.

Just another 2 cents' worth, no offense intended.

Ann

Old 14-06-2016, 01:01   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

You simply must have Alan Lucas's book Cruising the NSW Coast. Read it cover to cover. Also helpful is Rob's Passage Planner. Both available from Boat Books or most boat chandlers.

Old 14-06-2016, 01:57   #18

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Is the OP still interested or have we scared him off
Old 14-06-2016, 03:07   #19

Boat: Mashford Claris

coffs harbor then port stephens try and avoid the bar crossings eden is ok if somewhat hilly lakes entrance then bass strait I did it just after Christmas good because you get feedback from the Sydney Hobart race and weather is usually good just don't set rigid time frame
Old 14-06-2016, 05:23   #20

No, No you haven't scared me off. This is exactly what I wanted to hear, and please understand I am not underestimating the scale of this trip. Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply and I really appreciate all this advice, Particularly Jim and Ann for your really detailed responses

To clarify, I am intending to take plenty of time and I am prepared to wait for the right conditions. I see this as much of a cruise as it is a delivery.

I haven't made any plans or decisions yet. I am gathering information from as many sources as I can so I can collate and sort through that information and make a plan. If there are sections where I need extra hands then I will find some crew, if I have to wait for a week for the weather to clear so be it.

Jim or Ann, can you explain what you mean by roadstead anchorages?

Scarpa
Old 14-06-2016, 07:15   #21

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

WXTide32 Download

could not get it to run in win10 / we use the tide app in open cpn / this link is to wxtides page
Old 14-06-2016, 17:50   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Open Roadsted anchorage is one that you don't have to cross a bar to enter.

Alan's book on cruising the NSW coast has a thorough discussion of them, and their drawbacks. Three that we have used are Byron Bay, Trial Bay,behind Perpendicular Pt. outside Camden Haven and Sugarloaf Bay, and Broughton Is. as an alternative to going all the way into Port Stephens. Port Stephens, however, is a good place to take on water and provision, and parts of it are very nice, indeed. We also sometimes go into the Hunter R. (Newcastle), but have not used the marina there--we anchor a little way up the river. It is rarely closed for yacht traffic. We learned to do this from Alan's book. There are other open roadsteads as well, these are only the ones we've used often. Some are reported to be "okay", some more swelly than others, but mostly dependent on how much swell there is when you are in the vicinity. A note about Broughton Is. Anchor there with very careful attention to the weather, as to when the southerly change will come, you don't want to be caught on the south side by a midnight or 3 a.m. change. If you've any doubt, move on to Pt. Stephens.

The deal with barred entrances is that any big swell can close them; wind against the tide steepens their waves, hindering progress; and one generally wants to wait for about 3 hrs. of flood before entering, at which time there will still be runout from the impounded waters, but you have a chance of floating off if you accidentally run aground.

Ann
Old 14-06-2016, 18:19   #23

Boat: Traditional 30

WE get some cracker Nor easters in NSW during Dec Jan. They would be up your bum and give you a nice downhill ride. The downside is that is when we also get our southerly busters late arvo. But they usually only last for an hour and and its quite calm after they have blown through. We can go for days/weeks without a buster, then get several in a row.

As far as crossing bass strait is concerned, I will leave that for people who know it better than me. I have only done it once. But I would assume you would hang out at Eden until a nice weather window.

Some of the ports on the NSW coast are very easy to get into. Coffs, Pt Stephens, Pittwater etc. The river ports are a little trickier. Eg Byron, Port Mac, Forster etc. The easy rule of thumb is, if the port has a river with a breakwall, you are most likely going to be crossing a bar at to get in.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 19:56   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Note that the marina in Coffs has essentially been destroyed by the storm a couple of weeks ago. It has been on our "no go" list for some while due to the decrepit condition of the structures and fingers. When we wish to stop there, we anchor, usually just to the S of the end of the old pier. Decent holding there, not so good elsewhere. For smaller boats, one can shoehorn in between the S breakwater of the marina and the pier. A little better protection, but kinda tight quarters. In either of those places, it can be quite rolly if there is any E quadrant swell or sea running... uncomfortable but reasonably safe for a night's sleep.

Jim
Old 15-06-2016, 17:44   #25

Location: We are now waiting for a weather window to cross Bass Strait. Currently in Lakes Entrance and have enjoyed exploring the Gippsland Lakes.
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Hi and welcome to CF.

You have received some great information from forum members and like Jim and Ann we have done many crossings (3 less than them). We have always taken the direct and shortest route from Eden to Wine Glass Bay and then south down the coast, timing our passages as Jim said. We have been caught out only twice by a change of wx predictions and have sat at Bable Island and in Bicheno when the southerly arrived way sooner than predicted.

The southern most marina is not Bateman's Bay but Bermagui and forward booking may be required.

This year we could not use the short cut through the Dennison canal at Donally (going in either direction) because of depth problems with increased silting, but I believe dredging is currently underway. Yaraandoo II Draws 2 m.

No time schedules and wx windows are crucial - be patient - Safe Sailing

cheers Sue
Old 17-06-2016, 16:06   #26

I am retired and if your looking for assistance I may be able to crew part of the passage with you and yes I sail and have had offshore experience not sure how you contact me though particularly as I don't often visit this forum.

Tags
brisbane, wanted

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: