Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2011, 11:49   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Bluewater Cruising and Navigation Lights Question

So, one of my goals in life is to do some blue water cruising. Looking at power consumption needs I got to thinking about the use of running lights while well off shore and was wondering what others do. I understand that all vessels are required to use the propper running lights, but if someone is on watch and they want to conserve on power do some blue water cruisers not use their running lights at night? Another benifit to this would be better night vission as well.

Thanks,
Dave
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 12:11   #2

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsailor25 View Post
So, one of my goals in life is to do some blue water cruising. Looking at power consumption needs I got to thinking about the use of running lights while well off shore and was wondering what others do. I understand that all vessels are required to use the propper running lights, but if someone is on watch and they want to conserve on power do some blue water cruisers not use their running lights at night?
I haven't seen any. (pun intended)

Greg
Old 26-01-2011, 13:09   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsailor25 View Post
So, one of my goals in life is to do some blue water cruising. Looking at power consumption needs I got to thinking about the use of running lights while well off shore and was wondering what others do. I understand that all vessels are required to use the propper running lights, but if someone is on watch and they want to conserve on power do some blue water cruisers not use their running lights at night? Another benifit to this would be better night vission as well.

Thanks,
Dave
Don't think i've met any who sail sail with no lights. that really is a bit daft. However a high percentage I've met (and me) sail offshore without nav lights but with an all white at the masthead. Quality LED are bright and low power. Logic being that a good all white will be more visable than a green/red. There's sometimes a bar argument sometimes about you being more likely to the stand on vessil with an all white but i dunno about that one.
But offshore, personally, bright white LED up high and assume no one will be sober enough or awake enough to see it.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 13:40   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Offshore I use a tricolor whenever I can (if it's on the boat I'm delivering) - one bulb, legally appropriate colors, and up high where waves and swell won't interfere with visibility by the big guys.

Running dark or with the anchor light on is unwise.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 13:49   #5

Boat: Heritage 35
I agree Masthead tricolour Led. Big flashlight in cockpit and a good lookout!!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 13:55   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Aqua Signal masthead tricolor with marinebeam LED replacement bulb--uses less than 0.25 amps, and visibility well over 3 miles.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 14:08   #7

Boat: Downeaster 38
There was a time when nav lights used a lot of power, but now-days an LED tricolor uses an insignificant amount of power and so I think it is a weak argument for turning nav lights off. My tricolor is positioned so the white sector illuminates the wind direction indicator, so it does something else useful and eliminates the need for an electrical wind indicator.
North26West80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 14:19   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
One thought, the OP was about blue water cruising, if you're heading offshore then most places in the world have no idea about colours of nav light or the IRPCS, or at least it's prudent to assume they don't. Anything that gets you noticed is a good start! But don't trust anyone.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 14:51   #9

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Nav lights are useful for other boats/ships to monitor your course and direction. Debate flares up on this forum over the Colregs, so it would stand to reason that rules are rules.
I used a tricolor, and what with all the toys of modren cruising turned on - radar gps. plotter, autopilot, etc, etc. the power drain from nav lights is a nit.

Would you turn your refrigeration off when undersail?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 15:44   #10

We use the tri. Anything else might have an unwanted effect of sending the freighter to investigate to see if it is a life raft, someone in trouble or some other anomaly.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, navigation, water