Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2018, 18:42   #1

Between Greenport, NY and Port Washington

Hi all,

In a few days we'll be heading West across LI sound and planning to stop in Greenport then Port Washington for overnights. We were curious if there's anywhere on LI sound that's a nice stop between - either CT side or NY. We've been to Port Jefferson and the Norwalk Islands.

Any other nice places to stop? Don't need much. Just would like nice scenery and a calm anchorage. A decent bar and restaurant is a bonus.

Thanks in advance.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 04:26   #2

Boat: Pearson 303
Re: Between Greenport, NY and Port Washington

There's Mt Sinai harbor which has both, calm Anchorage and marinas as well as bar/restaurant a quick walk away.
That's the first thing on the long island side coming west too, we spent a night there and enjoyed it last summer.
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 08:51   #3

Thank you. I had overlooked Mt. Sinai because it just looked a little tight on the chart. Good to know you got in there with a sailboat.
Old 17-07-2018, 08:52   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, New London
Old 17-07-2018, 09:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Thank you. I had overlooked Mt. Sinai because it just looked a little tight on the chart. Good to know you got in there with a sailboat.
Yep, no problems for 4'. We stayed at a slip in the marina since we had just spent a night dragging anchor at Block Island and wanted dinner on land, but was lots of room for anchoring as well.
Old 17-07-2018, 09:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinung View Post
Yep, no problems for 4'. We stayed at a slip in the marina since we had just spent a night dragging anchor at Block Island and wanted dinner on land, but was lots of room for anchoring as well.
Cool. Thanks. I've heard about lots of people dragging at Block. Last time we were there we used a mooring, but I was going to anchor this time. I don't want to turn this into an anchor thread, but what did you use? What were the conditions like when you dragged?
Old 17-07-2018, 10:08   #7

Boat: Pearson 10M

Northport Harbor. The village dock is free before 7:00, I think $20 after that. I can check tonight if you like. During the week there will be plenty of space, weekend can be crowded. Once docked it is a 2 min ( at most) into town. Several bars and restaurants. Music in the park on Friday nights.

There are also moorings with a launch from the Northport yacht club and the Centerport Yacht club. Free dinghy dock .
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 10:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Cool. Thanks. I've heard about lots of people dragging at Block. Last time we were there we used a mooring, but I was going to anchor this time. I don't want to turn this into an anchor thread, but what did you use? What were the conditions like when you dragged?
I think my Delta anchor is a 35 lbs? And 50' chain in 6' or so of water. It was blowing 30-35 knots throughout the night and everyone was dragging. This was 4th of July so everything was full and lots of boats and anchor chains everywhere, we were out of there and on our way at first light!
Old 17-07-2018, 11:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinung View Post
I think my Delta anchor is a 35 lbs? And 50' chain in 6' or so of water. It was blowing 30-35 knots throughout the night and everyone was dragging. This was 4th of July so everything was full and lots of boats and anchor chains everywhere, we were out of there and on our way at first light!
Gotcha. Thanks! I've heard at least once about folks dragging through that anchorage when it picks up.
Old 17-07-2018, 11:29   #10

If you go up the CT River just a bit from Saybrook Point and turn to port about a mile before the train bridge at N15, you will enter North Cove, a completely protected mooring area. You may not anchor there, but you can pick up someone's available mooring. Right near the town dock (no services) are 2 guest moorings also, no charge. Row into the dock and leave the dinghy there, then walk into town with shops and restaurants about 1/2 mile or so away. Do be careful and mind the markers entering the narrow channel as there is not much water at low tide and you may be aground at the mooring if you draw 5'+. Mud bottom, however, so harmless.
sgbroimp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing, Washington