Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 21:19   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Best month to cross the Atlantic from Florida to Bermuda - Azores - Med?

Doing some long term cruise planning.

I have few different guides and they all say different things, so when do you think is the best month to cross the Atlantic from Florida to Bermuda - Azores - Med?

More and more people are saying to skip Bermuda and go right to the Azores, but I kinda wanna see Bermuda.

Looking to cross sometime in 2014, so trying to get my 2013 cruise in order so I am in the right place at the right time to sail across the pond.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 00:55   #2
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42
Re: Best month to cross the Atlantic from Florida to Bermuda - Azores - Med?

Most people want to skip Bermuda because it is expensive. Significantly more expensive than islands in the Carribbean and the Azores. It makes a convenient fuel and water stop if you are range limited. I would not plan to do a large provisioning there.

Florida - Bermuda check your insurance policy. You may have to be above 30N by 1 Jun due to storm season.

Bermuda to the Azores in mid to late June is a good crossing. You can move your track north or south to stay in a wind pattern you like. Light winds move north, strong winds move south.

The Azores are worth a visit while you are there. Any time over the next few months should have good conditions to reach Gibraltar.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 02:42   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hi, I would skip Bermuda, and spend that time in the Azores, Its MUCH faster skipping BM. See our web page for daily runs positions etc. Look in the 2008 crossing versus the 2002 crossing we were 4 days faster.
Get into the gulf stream, and head for hatteras, then curve over.
Listen to Herb, and do what he says otherwise you will get shouted at! hahaha.
Old 27-11-2012, 06:05   #4

Boat: Farr 50

May and June are good months to leave the US. I would not skip Bermuda as it is a great island with great people and a very convenient stop (depending on where you leave from). St Georges is not expensive as there is a lot of anchoring and the city quay is usually free. Provisioning esp booze is pricey so stock up in the US. It is also a good place to wait out any bad weather for the 1900nm run to Azores. We did it last June and spent at least 4 day motoring and prayed for a low to move in... so gas up in Bermuda. John
Old 27-11-2012, 06:31   #5

Boat: Nassau 34

Don’t’ by pass Bermuda! It’s a beautiful island, great beaches- rent a moped and see it.
Have to totally agree with johnandtessa said, free anchorage not only in St Georges, but around the island. Great place to take a break especially if it’s your first ocean crossing.
Now the Azores- one of my favorite stops and as others have said their great! See as many of the islands as you can. Loved Flores great landfall – Graciosa was one of my favorite’s with a great anchorage there! Terceira was fantastic with wonderful restaurants and in August I believe they have bull runs in the streets!
Old 27-11-2012, 06:43   #6

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Smile Re: Best month to cross the Atlantic from Florida to Bermuda - Azores - Med?

Hi we did that route but missed out Bermuda.

What ever you do do not leave later the beginning of MAY and in fact April would be much better. WHY? Because some realy NASTY weather can and will creep up and catch you. So do go earlier rather that later.

Follow the Gulf stream it will give you and extra couple of knots.

Fair winds

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 09:11   #7

Boat: J/120
We did Annapolis to the Azores to Portugal this past July. Our timing could not have been better for this year. Perfect weather. We only used 10 gallons of fuel to get to the Azores and our average speed was faster than we can motor. We left around July 3rd. Generally, leaving earlier is assumed to be better, this year in June you would have faced Tropical storms and more variable wind. We just monitored the weather closely in the early days. If there had even a hint of a Tropical Storm we would have reassessed. Once we reached the halfway point we were clear as we could duck south into the high if needed to avoid tropical lows.

The Azores were fantastic. A true gem and I can't wait to go back.

If it were me I would stop in Bermuda if coming from the south. It's not like you get the chance to sail to Bermuda every year. See it once for yourself.
sv Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 09:16   #8

Boat: J/120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia
Hi we did that route but missed out Bermuda.

What ever you do do not leave later the beginning of MAY and in fact April would be much better. WHY? Because some realy NASTY weather can and will creep up and catch you. So do go earlier rather that later.

Follow the Gulf stream it will give you and extra couple of knots.

Fair winds

Peter
Seems like you could have some really NASTY weather in April and May too, no? There is no month for crossing the Atlantic that doesn't have a decent chance of storms. The only variable is whether they are tropical in origin or not. Tropicals while certainly undesirable are also less frequent and well forecasted.
sv Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 10:14   #9

Boat: Cabo Rico

+1 on don't miss Bermuda. It's paradise. At St George's there is a big grocery store that I don't remember being expensive. The St. George's Dinghy Club is a great place.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 16:42   #10

Boat: Brewer 44

So May to June time?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 22:46   #11

Boat: Farr 50

May and June are we aim for and I know others go in early July. Mid-May has ARC-Europe leaving Bermuda for the Azores and in even years lots of US boats make the Bermuda to Azores run in mid to late June - even years have both the Annapolis-Bermuda and Newport-Bermuda races each a week apart in mid June so plenty of company if you do it then. Thats what we did last summer and at least 1/2 dozen boats made that trip. John
Old 04-02-2013, 10:08   #12

Boat: Freedom 33
Send a message via Skype™ to brusi

Hi, my "plan" is to head out from Nova Scotia late fall, is it worth wintering in Bermuda or sail directly to Azores for winter and then push on to Ireland? Freedom33.
brusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:20   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best month to cross the Atlantic from Florida to Bermuda - Azores - Med?

Hi, Welcome to CF...
I'd winter in Bermuda...
The fronts will be marching across and the Azores are wet and windy in winter.. leave Bermuda in the Spring..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:37   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusi View Post
Hi, my "plan" is to head out from Nova Scotia late fall, is it worth wintering in Bermuda or sail directly to Azores for winter and then push on to Ireland? Freedom33.
I wouldn't want to be anywhere in the North Atlantic during the winter and certainly not approaching Ireland. Go to Bermuda, super swimming and diving off the coral reefs and great dark n' stormy drinks in the evenings

If you have a keel stepped mast you can sail through that really narrow bridge. Having walked over the bridge it would be interesting to sail through it. The gap is about 22".

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bermuda_i0000d2.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	54033  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:31   #15

Boat: Freedom 33
Send a message via Skype™ to brusi

Hey Pete, where is that bridge? With my Freedom, I can do it,eh? I think I like the dark'n stormy drinks better than North Atlantic. Txs, Ben
brusi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Azores, Bermuda, florida