Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 14:01   #46

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Best handheld chartplotter as backup

Do buy some nav tools, like good binoculars with compass or good hockey-puck hand bearing compass. Use to deliver boats up and down the bay and on several new boats that's all I had. Not even a boat compass, radio or instruments. Also many handheld vhf radios have gps nice backup. Not for nav but good for safety. Great on the dinghy, nice to be able to send your position.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 14:07   #47

Boat: Najad 460, 46 ft

totally agree - have all that - (and actually more nav equipment). We cruise the beautiful and challenging waters of Maine - and have done two deliveries- one from Annapolis and one from Connecticut back to Freeport, maine. newer to the phone/ipad applications - So have collected good gear along the way. But there isa always something new to learn from experienced fellow sailors!
livbysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 19:05   #48

Boat: Whitby 42

If in the Bahamas use Explorer charts or a device that uses there data. I have known of at least 2 boats that ended on the reef because of bad electronic chart data. explorer charts if they show depths or waypoints they have been verified. There are no nav aids in Bahamas you need to be able to trust the data in your gps. And use your eyes.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 19:25   #49

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by livbysea View Post
only concern is in emergency if unable to recharge - but certainly makes sense to download to smartphone and laptop/tablet!
We have a small folding 14 watt solar charger that fits in our ditch bag for just such occasions. We just made sure that we have cables to fit all the equipment we would need for a rescue.

This will charge our iphone 6 plus to full in about 2.5 hours from dead; the new iPhones can charge at 12 watts now instead of the old 5 watt standard.

However, another vote for the Garmin 78 series. We keep that and a bunch of other useful items charged and ready to go in a bag that has a 50 kV protection rating which in turn goes in our ditch bag.

We also are purchasing a second chartplotter for whatever new boat we end up in. You can get brand new ones with all the features of your main chartplotter for cheap. Just keep it safely tucked away and bring it out in case of a failure.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 20:49   #50

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
My back -up seems to fit your description.
GARMIN 78 SC. Comes with full set of charts for your country. FLOATS, WATERPROOF IPX 7.
Does this sound right? As some will tell you, Australia is pretty backward but this unit is the best available in Australia no matter how much money you have.
But if you want cheap, for a water drinking cell phone.......good luck.
The OP asked about handheld chartplotters.
GARMIN 78 series. Proper charts preoaded, nothing to download, IT FLOATS, 12volts or "a" cells. The Real McCoy & cheap.
But if ego requires bigger screen, then no.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 22:20   #51

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35'

78sc-
Amazon- find the Garmin 78. Look for the best option- the 78sc. It is number one seller on Amazon for gps devices- that is saying something! $250
BillyBobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 22:52   #52

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobtx View Post
78sc-
Amazon- find the Garmin 78. Look for the best option- the 78sc. It is number one seller on Amazon for gps devices- that is saying something! $250
In Australia we pay US $ 318 for those things and frankly I think they're pretty priceless even at us $318.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:50   #53

thanks for the head's up!!!
Old 12-12-2016, 07:52   #54

very cool - will it charge vhf or gps? or do you "just" keep lots of extra batteries in your ditch bag? any ;recommendations on brands of solar chargers - sounds like a good xmas gift for someone in the family...
Old 12-12-2016, 07:53   #55

plan to compare the 78 and 78 sc. thanks!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:14   #56

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active that was deactivated when I upgraded it last year. It is dust and water resistant. The great thing is that it still works on WiFi and the GPS still works just fine. It is my outdoor/boating handheld GPS. I have Navionics installed with maps and US Topo Pro. Really works great and for all intents it was free. Just purchased the apps. I deleted everything else and all other non-essential apps. I also have an extra battery for it incase it is needed but really with no service active and only the GPS the device lasts for days on a charge.

Galaxy S5 Active 16GB (AT&T) Phones - SM-G870ADGEATT | Samsung US
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:35   #57

hi

do you need access to wifi to get a position? ie - would this work offshore, as an emergency backup? my deactivated iphone does not seem to have working wifi - unless I have a sim card (usually from a different country) in it. opportunity for more research
Old 12-12-2016, 08:37   #58

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
very cool - will it charge vhf or gps? or do you "just" keep lots of extra batteries in your ditch bag? any ;recommendations on brands of solar chargers - sounds like a good xmas gift for someone in the family...
I assume you are referring to my solar... yes... we have standard horizon handhelds that have USB charging, float, and have a light that comes on when it gets wet.

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

Here is a foldable solar that is water resistant so you at least have a chance...

https://www.amazon.com/ECEEN-ECC-626.../dp/B00NTXGLUI

No - new i-devices do not require access to a cell tower for the GPS to function. That issue went away with the iPhone 3.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:50   #59

hi

I have to double check - but I think our vhf has a 12v and not a usb charger - so many permutations! thanks for the solar url
Old 12-12-2016, 16:05   #60

Quote:
hi

do you need access to wifi to get a position? ie - would this work offshore, as an emergency backup? my deactivated iphone does not seem to have working wifi - unless I have a sim card (usually from a different country) in it. opportunity for more research
I really have no idea about an Iphone. But the Android based Galaxy will work with just the built in GPS for location. No network service or wifi required. In fact I always put it in to airplane mode and ensure all that is turned off so that saves battery life. For the deactivated phone, I only turn on the wifi to update maps.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter