Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-02-2015, 17:01   #31
cruiser

Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

[QUOTE=colemjOn the tablet side of apps, I'm finding SeaIQ is whomping all the other ones for my use and needs.[/QUOTE]

SeaIQ would be my choice, except for one item: Canadian charts are limited to Navionics, and if the only choice is Navionics, I'm not going.

Old 02-02-2015, 17:23   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
SeaIQ would be my choice, except for one item: Canadian charts are limited to Navionics, and if the only choice is Navionics, I'm not going.
Is this correct? The CA charts I see are in BSB format - doesn't SeaIQ use these? If not, contact the developer and ask about it. I have communicated with him a few times and he seems very interested in feedback and improving his product.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 20:33   #33
cruiser

If there's a way other than Navionics to get BSB charts into SeaIQ, I'd love to hear about it.

Here in Seattle, Captain's Nautical couldn't get it done.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:44   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't understand the Navionics bit. Navionics is a chart company that also sells some applications. Why is it involved with the Canadian Hydrographic Services?

From everything I can tell, you can purchase Canadian raster charts in BSB format, and vector charts in S57 format, on a CD.

Both of these formats should be useable in SeaIQ.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:54   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
OCPN is not limited in any capacity that I need - and it has many features not found in any paid applications. Try making a google earth overlay with Maxsea or Nobeltec.

There is extensive documentation for OCPN, as well as several tutorial videos. If you click on the help menu in the application, it takes you to the user manual.

Coastal Explorer is a good application on the paid side of things.

On the tablet side of apps, I'm finding SeaIQ is whomping all the other ones for my use and needs.

Mark
SeaIQ, unfortunately, is IPad only, which rules it out for me.

OpenCPN is splendid -- probably all you need. It does absolutely everything -- it's just a wonderful program. It's a little clunky for the non-computer inclined, which might be its only disadvantage. It does require a little bit of study, but this is rewarding.

OpenCPN is also platform - limited. I use it on my main ship's computer, but I wish there were a native Android port so I could use it on a tablet, on the same tablet I plan to use the GoFree app on. I am considering doing the tablet rooting routine to see how it works like that.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:01   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
SeaIQ, unfortunately, is IPad only, which rules it out for me.

OpenCPN is splendid -- probably all you need. It does absolutely everything -- it's just a wonderful program. It's a little clunky for the non-computer inclined, which might be its only disadvantage. It does require a little bit of study, but this is rewarding.

OpenCPN is also platform - limited. I use it on my main ship's computer, but I wish there were a native Android port so I could use it on a tablet, on the same tablet I plan to use the GoFree app on. I am considering doing the tablet rooting routine to see how it works like that.
If one is specifically looking for a tablet navigation program, then it seems like one would choose the program and features they want and get the hardware that runs it. Not the other way around.

That is how all other boat electronics are done.

Mark

Old 03-02-2015, 16:43   #37
cruiser

Quote:
I don't understand the Navionics bit. Navionics is a chart company that also sells some applications. Why is it involved with the Canadian Hydrographic Services?

From everything I can tell, you can purchase Canadian raster charts in BSB format, and vector charts in S57 format, on a CD.

Both of these formats should be useable in SeaIQ.
Through the SeaIQ website, there is a source to purchase CHS charts through Navionics.

Here in Seattle, the place to go for advice or charts or on things navigation is Captain's Nautical Supply. They advised me against trying to put the charts on the CD into SeaIQ, because the format may or may not be compatible. Since the CD is not cheap, and since there was a source that guaranteed success with non-Navionics CHS charts on InavX, I went with the charts for InavX. Which leaves me switching applications in the San Juans.

All BSB charts are not the same-- BSB charts that work in InavX, for instance, will not work in SeaIQ.

If you have successfully used CHS charts from the CD in SeaIQ, I would love to hear how you did it, step by step. It would change how I use my iPad and my iPhone.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:47   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We don't sail in CA waters so I don't have any CA charts. However, I have several other chart sets in BSB format that work just fine with SeaIQ.

Again, why not just email the developer of SeaIQ and ask him? I have found him to be extremely responsive and helpful.

Also, I still don't understand the Navionics bit. If they sell the charts you want for use with SeaIQ, then what is the issue?

Mark

Old 04-02-2015, 09:16   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)

Quote:
If one is specifically looking for a tablet navigation program, then it seems like one would choose the program and features they want and get the hardware that runs it. Not the other way around.

That is how all other boat electronics are done.

Mark
If the tablet were to be solely dedicated to navigation, then sure.

But I would like for the tablet to be as multifunctional as possible.

Ideally, the following:

1. OpenCPN
2. GoFree
3. N2K View
4. Reading pilot books and other digitized media.
5. General web browsing

And: ideally, waterproof.

GoFree is Android and IPad only.

OpenCPN is PC only.

I don't like IPads in general; prefer Android. Anyway, there are no waterproof IPads. Besides that, it is extremely hard to get files on and off IPads. Android tablets have USB ports and are far more versatile when working with media.

So I could get close to this if I could find a really good nav program, which can use any kind of chart including CM93, which runs natively on Android.

Failing that, I might try to root the tablet and run OpenCPN on Linux, but this seems both risky and kludgy.

Failing that, I might have to break down and buy separate tablets. I know I could upgrade my existing IPlod so that it would run GoFree, and stick it in a waterproof sleeve, and be sort of there, since I could transfer my existing INavX program and purchased charts over to it. But that would be my last choice. Better probably would be a rugged PC tablet (like the Panasonic Tough-whatever) for everything except GoFree, then upgrade my IPlod for running GoFree.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:30   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Are there waterproof Android tablets? I have a Lifeproof case on my iPad, which hardly adds much bulk to it at all and renders it waterproof to 3M and shock resistant.

All of your above is available for iPad except OCPN - and again, I am finding SeaIQ to not only be a fantastic substitute, but offer more functionality. Or at least easier functionality.

Of course, if the tablet itself is the most important aspect, then you take what is given for it. Rooting a tablet and installing an experimental version of a program on a non-supported OS seems like an extreme measure unless you were doing it for fun. It also seems irrational to buy two tablets when one would do.

You also seem to overlook that you can use Remote Desktop or TeamViewer or the like on your tablet to remotely connect it to, and fully control, your PC. This pretty much puts your PC on your tablet, although you do have to have your PC operating at the same time, as well as a router.

Mark

Old 04-02-2015, 10:05   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are there waterproof Android tablets? I have a Lifeproof case on my iPad, which hardly adds much bulk to it at all and renders it waterproof to 3M and shock resistant.

All of your above is available for iPad except OCPN - and again, I am finding SeaIQ to not only be a fantastic substitute, but offer more functionality. Or at least easier functionality.

Of course, if the tablet itself is the most important aspect, then you take what is given for it. Rooting a tablet and installing an experimental version of a program on a non-supported OS seems like an extreme measure unless you were doing it for fun. It also seems irrational to buy two tablets when one would do.

You also seem to overlook that you can use Remote Desktop or TeamViewer or the like on your tablet to remotely connect it to, and fully control, your PC. This pretty much puts your PC on your tablet, although you do have to have your PC operating at the same time, as well as a router.

Mark
Yes -- Sony makes a lovely waterproof Android tablet. There are also toughened waterproof tablets available which are perfect for this application, but they are expensive.

I agree about rooting.

I would not like to use a remote desktop in lieu of having the application running on the device. I have a fair amount of experience with these programs -- they don't work all that well, especially when you do it cross-platform. That being said, if I can't get OpenCPN running natively, it's a good idea to do this so that you at least have some kind of access to it from the tablet. The other advantage is that if you've got all your work on the ship's computer, you also have access to that. Yes, that's a good idea. I'll probably do that in any case.

The tablet is important for my particular application because on long passages in bad weather I like to keep watch from under my spray hood, rather than at the exposed helm. I stand a couple of steps down the companionway with my head sticking out the scuttle hatch and look out over the bows through my fixed windshield. I need to make a seat which I can hang there. When it's really cold, I pull up the washboard and turn the heat on inside -- luxury! I have four Tritons there, but no plotter -- that's what the tablet does.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:39   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I would not like to use a remote desktop in lieu of having the application running on the device. I have a fair amount of experience with these programs -- they don't work all that well, especially when you do it cross-platform.
I realize our experience is N=1, but we have been using Microsoft Remote Desktop cross-platform continuously when underway for the past 11yrs without a single hiccup.

Our application is to control the main nav PC from a Windows CE waterproof display in the cockpit, as well as to use a Mac laptop to operate it remotely (the main nav PC is a tiny thing that isn't very useable by itself). Lately, we have been playing with it on the iPad, and it is a very good implementation of it.

For something as occasional, simple, and non-critical as monitoring the nav computer remotely like you want, I don't see any ruggedness issues.

However, you do need to keep the PC and router operating to use it.

Mark

Old 04-02-2015, 10:59   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I realize our experience is N=1, but we have been using Microsoft Remote Desktop cross-platform continuously when underway for the past 11yrs without a single hiccup.

Our application is to control the main nav PC from a Windows CE waterproof display in the cockpit, as well as to use a Mac laptop to operate it remotely (the main nav PC is a tiny thing that isn't very useable by itself). Lately, we have been playing with it on the iPad, and it is a very good implementation of it.

For something as occasional, simple, and non-critical as monitoring the nav computer remotely like you want, I don't see any ruggedness issues.

However, you do need to keep the PC and router operating to use it.

Mark
OK, that sounds good. That's an inspiring example, and I'll try it. I am retiring my work laptop for duty as a permanently installed ship's computer (with remote monitor, keyboard, mouse). It would be great to be able to access it remotely -- that sounds like a good idea.

And I'm so pleased with getting data from the GoFree module into INavX onto my IPlod that I think I'll just leave that for now in case I need a freestanding nav program. And buy the Sony Android tablet for GoFree, remote desktop, and general use. So no need for any rooting, or looking for other nav programs at the moment -- just have to put up with switching between two devices for a while.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2015, 16:04   #44
cruiser

Quote:
OpenCPN is PC only.
If you mean that OpenCPN only runs on computers, you are correct.

If you mean that OpenCPN only runs on Windows computers, that is not correct, the Mac version is running on my Powerbook.
Old 04-02-2015, 16:50   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
If you mean that OpenCPN only runs on computers, you are correct.

If you mean that OpenCPN only runs on Windows computers, that is not correct, the Mac version is running on my Powerbook.
So you mean it runs on both computers and on macs?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: