Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 17:01   #31
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,130
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

[QUOTE=colemjOn the tablet side of apps, I'm finding SeaIQ is whomping all the other ones for my use and needs.[/QUOTE]

SeaIQ would be my choice, except for one item: Canadian charts are limited to Navionics, and if the only choice is Navionics, I'm not going.
__________________

__________________
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 17:23   #32
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
SeaIQ would be my choice, except for one item: Canadian charts are limited to Navionics, and if the only choice is Navionics, I'm not going.
Is this correct? The CA charts I see are in BSB format - doesn't SeaIQ use these? If not, contact the developer and ask about it. I have communicated with him a few times and he seems very interested in feedback and improving his product.

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 20:33   #33
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,130
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

If there's a way other than Navionics to get BSB charts into SeaIQ, I'd love to hear about it.

Here in Seattle, Captain's Nautical couldn't get it done.
__________________
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:44   #34
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

I don't understand the Navionics bit. Navionics is a chart company that also sells some applications. Why is it involved with the Canadian Hydrographic Services?

From everything I can tell, you can purchase Canadian raster charts in BSB format, and vector charts in S57 format, on a CD.

Both of these formats should be useable in SeaIQ.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:54   #35
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,757
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
OCPN is not limited in any capacity that I need - and it has many features not found in any paid applications. Try making a google earth overlay with Maxsea or Nobeltec.

There is extensive documentation for OCPN, as well as several tutorial videos. If you click on the help menu in the application, it takes you to the user manual.

Coastal Explorer is a good application on the paid side of things.

On the tablet side of apps, I'm finding SeaIQ is whomping all the other ones for my use and needs.

Mark
SeaIQ, unfortunately, is IPad only, which rules it out for me.

OpenCPN is splendid -- probably all you need. It does absolutely everything -- it's just a wonderful program. It's a little clunky for the non-computer inclined, which might be its only disadvantage. It does require a little bit of study, but this is rewarding.

OpenCPN is also platform - limited. I use it on my main ship's computer, but I wish there were a native Android port so I could use it on a tablet, on the same tablet I plan to use the GoFree app on. I am considering doing the tablet rooting routine to see how it works like that.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:01   #36
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
SeaIQ, unfortunately, is IPad only, which rules it out for me.

OpenCPN is splendid -- probably all you need. It does absolutely everything -- it's just a wonderful program. It's a little clunky for the non-computer inclined, which might be its only disadvantage. It does require a little bit of study, but this is rewarding.

OpenCPN is also platform - limited. I use it on my main ship's computer, but I wish there were a native Android port so I could use it on a tablet, on the same tablet I plan to use the GoFree app on. I am considering doing the tablet rooting routine to see how it works like that.
If one is specifically looking for a tablet navigation program, then it seems like one would choose the program and features they want and get the hardware that runs it. Not the other way around.

That is how all other boat electronics are done.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 16:43   #37
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,130
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't understand the Navionics bit. Navionics is a chart company that also sells some applications. Why is it involved with the Canadian Hydrographic Services?

From everything I can tell, you can purchase Canadian raster charts in BSB format, and vector charts in S57 format, on a CD.

Both of these formats should be useable in SeaIQ.
Through the SeaIQ website, there is a source to purchase CHS charts through Navionics.

Here in Seattle, the place to go for advice or charts or on things navigation is Captain's Nautical Supply. They advised me against trying to put the charts on the CD into SeaIQ, because the format may or may not be compatible. Since the CD is not cheap, and since there was a source that guaranteed success with non-Navionics CHS charts on InavX, I went with the charts for InavX. Which leaves me switching applications in the San Juans.

All BSB charts are not the same-- BSB charts that work in InavX, for instance, will not work in SeaIQ.

If you have successfully used CHS charts from the CD in SeaIQ, I would love to hear how you did it, step by step. It would change how I use my iPad and my iPhone.
__________________
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:47   #38
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

We don't sail in CA waters so I don't have any CA charts. However, I have several other chart sets in BSB format that work just fine with SeaIQ.

Again, why not just email the developer of SeaIQ and ask him? I have found him to be extremely responsive and helpful.

Also, I still don't understand the Navionics bit. If they sell the charts you want for use with SeaIQ, then what is the issue?

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:16   #39
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,757
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If one is specifically looking for a tablet navigation program, then it seems like one would choose the program and features they want and get the hardware that runs it. Not the other way around.

That is how all other boat electronics are done.

Mark
If the tablet were to be solely dedicated to navigation, then sure.

But I would like for the tablet to be as multifunctional as possible.

Ideally, the following:

1. OpenCPN
2. GoFree
3. N2K View
4. Reading pilot books and other digitized media.
5. General web browsing

And: ideally, waterproof.

GoFree is Android and IPad only.

OpenCPN is PC only.

I don't like IPads in general; prefer Android. Anyway, there are no waterproof IPads. Besides that, it is extremely hard to get files on and off IPads. Android tablets have USB ports and are far more versatile when working with media.

So I could get close to this if I could find a really good nav program, which can use any kind of chart including CM93, which runs natively on Android.

Failing that, I might try to root the tablet and run OpenCPN on Linux, but this seems both risky and kludgy.

Failing that, I might have to break down and buy separate tablets. I know I could upgrade my existing IPlod so that it would run GoFree, and stick it in a waterproof sleeve, and be sort of there, since I could transfer my existing INavX program and purchased charts over to it. But that would be my last choice. Better probably would be a rugged PC tablet (like the Panasonic Tough-whatever) for everything except GoFree, then upgrade my IPlod for running GoFree.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:30   #40
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

Are there waterproof Android tablets? I have a Lifeproof case on my iPad, which hardly adds much bulk to it at all and renders it waterproof to 3M and shock resistant.

All of your above is available for iPad except OCPN - and again, I am finding SeaIQ to not only be a fantastic substitute, but offer more functionality. Or at least easier functionality.

Of course, if the tablet itself is the most important aspect, then you take what is given for it. Rooting a tablet and installing an experimental version of a program on a non-supported OS seems like an extreme measure unless you were doing it for fun. It also seems irrational to buy two tablets when one would do.

You also seem to overlook that you can use Remote Desktop or TeamViewer or the like on your tablet to remotely connect it to, and fully control, your PC. This pretty much puts your PC on your tablet, although you do have to have your PC operating at the same time, as well as a router.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:05   #41
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,757
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Are there waterproof Android tablets? I have a Lifeproof case on my iPad, which hardly adds much bulk to it at all and renders it waterproof to 3M and shock resistant.

All of your above is available for iPad except OCPN - and again, I am finding SeaIQ to not only be a fantastic substitute, but offer more functionality. Or at least easier functionality.

Of course, if the tablet itself is the most important aspect, then you take what is given for it. Rooting a tablet and installing an experimental version of a program on a non-supported OS seems like an extreme measure unless you were doing it for fun. It also seems irrational to buy two tablets when one would do.

You also seem to overlook that you can use Remote Desktop or TeamViewer or the like on your tablet to remotely connect it to, and fully control, your PC. This pretty much puts your PC on your tablet, although you do have to have your PC operating at the same time, as well as a router.

Mark
Yes -- Sony makes a lovely waterproof Android tablet. There are also toughened waterproof tablets available which are perfect for this application, but they are expensive.

I agree about rooting.

I would not like to use a remote desktop in lieu of having the application running on the device. I have a fair amount of experience with these programs -- they don't work all that well, especially when you do it cross-platform. That being said, if I can't get OpenCPN running natively, it's a good idea to do this so that you at least have some kind of access to it from the tablet. The other advantage is that if you've got all your work on the ship's computer, you also have access to that. Yes, that's a good idea. I'll probably do that in any case.

The tablet is important for my particular application because on long passages in bad weather I like to keep watch from under my spray hood, rather than at the exposed helm. I stand a couple of steps down the companionway with my head sticking out the scuttle hatch and look out over the bows through my fixed windshield. I need to make a seat which I can hang there. When it's really cold, I pull up the washboard and turn the heat on inside -- luxury! I have four Tritons there, but no plotter -- that's what the tablet does.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:39   #42
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I would not like to use a remote desktop in lieu of having the application running on the device. I have a fair amount of experience with these programs -- they don't work all that well, especially when you do it cross-platform.
I realize our experience is N=1, but we have been using Microsoft Remote Desktop cross-platform continuously when underway for the past 11yrs without a single hiccup.

Our application is to control the main nav PC from a Windows CE waterproof display in the cockpit, as well as to use a Mac laptop to operate it remotely (the main nav PC is a tiny thing that isn't very useable by itself). Lately, we have been playing with it on the iPad, and it is a very good implementation of it.

For something as occasional, simple, and non-critical as monitoring the nav computer remotely like you want, I don't see any ruggedness issues.

However, you do need to keep the PC and router operating to use it.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:59   #43
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,757
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I realize our experience is N=1, but we have been using Microsoft Remote Desktop cross-platform continuously when underway for the past 11yrs without a single hiccup.

Our application is to control the main nav PC from a Windows CE waterproof display in the cockpit, as well as to use a Mac laptop to operate it remotely (the main nav PC is a tiny thing that isn't very useable by itself). Lately, we have been playing with it on the iPad, and it is a very good implementation of it.

For something as occasional, simple, and non-critical as monitoring the nav computer remotely like you want, I don't see any ruggedness issues.

However, you do need to keep the PC and router operating to use it.

Mark
OK, that sounds good. That's an inspiring example, and I'll try it. I am retiring my work laptop for duty as a permanently installed ship's computer (with remote monitor, keyboard, mouse). It would be great to be able to access it remotely -- that sounds like a good idea.

And I'm so pleased with getting data from the GoFree module into INavX onto my IPlod that I think I'll just leave that for now in case I need a freestanding nav program. And buy the Sony Android tablet for GoFree, remote desktop, and general use. So no need for any rooting, or looking for other nav programs at the moment -- just have to put up with switching between two devices for a while.

Thanks.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 16:04   #44
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,130
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
OpenCPN is PC only.
If you mean that OpenCPN only runs on computers, you are correct.

If you mean that OpenCPN only runs on Windows computers, that is not correct, the Mac version is running on my Powerbook.
__________________
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 16:50   #45
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,757
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
If you mean that OpenCPN only runs on computers, you are correct.

If you mean that OpenCPN only runs on Windows computers, that is not correct, the Mac version is running on my Powerbook.
So you mean it runs on both computers and on macs?
__________________

__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Nobletec Admiral Electronic Charting Software and Worldwide Charts oyster56 Classifieds Archive 0 22-07-2011 14:19
Dangers in Electronic Charting Pelagic Navigation 59 22-05-2008 08:58
Best Charts and Charting Software for the Caribbean kevinm Navigation 1 21-06-2007 14:39
Article re NOAA charts & mapping programs Gerald Simons Navigation 7 14-11-2003 08:38
Electronic Charting Software For Sale Tripwire Navigation 0 03-04-2003 01:18



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.