Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-10-2013, 09:39   #1

Bahamas Route

We are leaving Virginia headed to Marathon and planning a trip to the Bahamas. This will be our first crossing and would like any suggestions and information as to the best location to check in leaving from marathon around mid January. we would like to start off south then head north in the spring

Old 18-10-2013, 10:16   #2

Boat: csy 37
re: Bahamas Route

from marathon jump into the gulf stream and get a free ride to bimini or cat cay. can check in at both places. i prefer bimini.

Old 18-10-2013, 12:03   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
re: Bahamas Route

I recommend North Bimini, too. Easy check-in, cheap marinas, and interesting and funky town. Not a bad stop to get you started on your Bahamas adventure. Have a great trip!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 16:46   #4

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
Re: Bahamas Route

We just completed Marathon to North Bimini today. It was a great overnight sail in NW to W breezes 5-20kts boosted by 1-3kts of current. The entrance was well marked , the channel was deep and the check in was painless. Staying at Bluewater for $1/foot. Nice.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Old 20-01-2014, 16:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Here's my take on south Florida to the Bahamas I recently posted on another site..

If you're crossing from Miami or further south do not stop in Bimini. I told that to a couple of newbies from my club who are now stuck in Bimini, been there a week, looks like another before they get out. Go from Miami to Nassau, about 30 hours. They were so worried about the crossing they just wanted to get across the gulf stream and thought they had it made getting to Bimini.

The reason for this is that you usually cross when a front is coming and the wind starts clocking. Most cross when the wind gets to south or west. The secret is to get to Nassau before the wind clocks around to east again after the front passes. Depending on the severity of the front that's usually within the thirty hours. If you stop in Bimini and even if you set out the next day most likely the wind has gone NE or E, a tough slog across the Great Bahama Bank and it will likely be E when you get to to the Tongue of the Ocean, a tougher slog to get to Nassau. The secret is to get to Nassau as fast as possible. Then you've got the Exumas ahead of you. Not stuck in Bimini.

As for Abaco do that on the way home. The weather will be much better that far north later in the year. Go south to the Exumas.
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 17:07   #6

Second that. But don't pass up the Berrys one way or the other. Just as nice as the Exumas and much less traveled.

We preferred crossing from Lake Worth to Freeport but we were coming from farther north to start with. We once did Boot Key to South Riding Rock, to NW Channel to Nassau in about 27 hours but we really prefer the day hops. Like he said though, be prepared to wait out weather.
Old 20-01-2014, 17:12   #7

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

We like leaving south of Miami to North of Bimini and across the bank at night for morning arrival at Morgans Bluff Andros and checkin. Morgans Bluff is very laid back. Then early departure in a day or two from Morgans Bluff to the Exumas.
Old 20-01-2014, 17:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RonB View Post
Second that. But don't pass up the Berrys one way or the other. Just as nice as the Exumas and much less traveled.

We preferred crossing from Lake Worth to Freeport but we were coming from farther north to start with. We once did Boot Key to South Riding Rock, to NW Channel to Nassau in about 27 hours but we really prefer the day hops. Like he said though, be prepared to wait out weather.
Done the Berrys a few times but this time of the year it's best to get as far south as possible. Have done them on the way back. Used to do Abaco on the way back but haven't done that for six or seven years. There's so much to do in the Bahamas and we all have our favourite spots.

I've holed up in Frazers Hog (the same cay as Chubb) quite a few times when the front got ahead of me and it was tough in the Tongue of the Ocean. Never done the Freeport route. We like to spend some time in South Beach before crossing.
Old 20-01-2014, 17:28   #9

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft

From Marathon, it's harder to find weather windows big enough for a direct sail to Nassau. Why not take a short one and get to Bimini, and the next short one to go south? A lot of people seem to get stuck in Marathon waiting for a big enough window to make it to Nassau. If you squeeze through a short window to Bimini you can take the next short one to Nassau (or further afield). I would prefer to be stuck in Bimini than Marathon!

From Miami or Angelfish, skipping Bimini makes more sense. Marathon is much further down so the game is a little different.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Old 20-01-2014, 17:32   #10
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the morgans bluff route sounds like a great way to avoid nassau when going to the exumas
Old 20-01-2014, 18:09   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
the morgans bluff route sounds like a great way to avoid nassau when going to the exumas

Actually Nassau is not that bad. We usually stay in a marina for a day or two to clear in and provision and then go and anchor if waiting for weather. Good Bahamian food at Potters Cay, good prices for booze at Bristol Liquors, get a Bahamian phone simm at Batelco, my wife takes the bus to all the different shops and if you get there at Christmas there's Junkanoo and again at New Years. The Bacardi Rum factory tour is gone but that used to be fun. And there's a great beach for beach glass for making jewelry which most cruisers are unaware of.

My wife's beach glass jewelry.

Tags
Bahamas, route

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: